FA On His Rear - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

FA On His Rear

Well, it took 2 1/2 years and 20,000 miles, but I finally wound up on my butt last weekend. I was on a gravel-covered back road and missed my turn, so decided to do a u-turn to go back to it. Unfortunately, I was in second gear (not first, like I thought I was ) as I executed said u-turn and stalled the bike in the middle of it, causing a slide-out and depositing me unceremoniously on the roadway (and the bike on its left side). Fortunately, my gear did everything it was supposed to and the only injury I sustained (aside from my pride) was some injured ribs from where I landed on my cell phone (memo to all - that nice zip-up pocket high up on your Intake II jacket should probably be used for soft things like maps, not hard things like cell phones in a case). Sneezing is still a nightmare a week later, and I find that I have entirely new way of gauging the severity of the road imperfections that I happen to ride over...

The only injury that Serenity sustained was a snapped clutch lever. Fortunately, there was enough clutch lever left that I could continue on to my destination (my buddy's shop to replace the o-ring around the alternator cover that was leaking oil) and then back to my house. Ordered the Kuryakyn wide levers and got 'em in yesterday. I'm headed out to the garage to install them and see how they work.

--FA

K.J. "Fire Ant" Lord
VROC #28807
Decatur, TX
'03 VN750 "Serenity"

Rear Turn Signal Relocation
Front Brake Replacement
Spline lube, per Fergy's excellent instructions (that he has posted around here somewhere)
Kevlar Clutch Plates
Metzeler ME880 Tires
Stebel Nautilus Air Horn
ACCTs Rebuilt
Saddlemen Explorer Seat
MCCTs Installed
Kuryakyn Wide Levers Installed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Glad is was nothing more serious...and don't feel too bad, I too with a no crash record for the street fell over trying to execute a U turn into my driveway...twice. Once with my Vulcan and once with my FJR.

(I have sence then when coming home enter my street from the other end so I no longer have to make that manuver.)

Yes, a word up on carrying anything hard in your pockets. I too am at fault of putting my cell phone in the 'upper side pocket' of my jackets. I really should just get a mount for it.

And I also know what if feels like to bruise up some ribs. The pain does seem to take awhile to fade.......

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Drive less, ride more...

Obviously, by far the most important thing here is that you were not seriously hurt (or worse), and that you walked away to ride yet another day....

On another bike besides my VN750, I learned in a very similar experience that riding on anything less than very hard-packed (or paved) gravel can have expensive consequences. Traction on gravel is usually comparable to riding or turning on marbles (basically, zilch).

Past that, glad your bike emerged basically unscathed. The '03 VN750 models are some of the best looking made (in my opinion, of course). It's nice to see a Vulcan 750 without factory black (or dark grey) paint out there. As they sometimes say, "red is the fastest color"....

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/

Last edited by theauhawk; 03-19-2011 at 12:21 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm glad that it wasn't more serious, too, and that there wasn't a cage in sight when it happened...

The road itself wasn't actually gravel so much as it was a paved back road in serious need of repair. It has devolved to the point that it's very gravelly with several potholes to be avoided.

Just got the Kuryakyn levers installed and they work beautifully. I actually like them better than the stock levers that came with the bike. As I think that Lance said in one of his earlier posts, you need to be very careful with the clutch sensor switch when you change out the clutch lever. I got sick of trying to work around it, so I removed it for the job. I also had to loosen the clutch lever / mirror handlebar mount to move it away from the turn signal / horn / choke module to make enough room to get the lever out. The front brake lever is a piece of cake to replace. No issues.

They say that there are only two kinds of riders - those who crash and those who just haven't crashed *yet*. If that's the case, I hope that mine is now out of the way without the street gods feeling any further need to sneeze in my direction...

--FA

K.J. "Fire Ant" Lord
VROC #28807
Decatur, TX
'03 VN750 "Serenity"

Rear Turn Signal Relocation
Front Brake Replacement
Spline lube, per Fergy's excellent instructions (that he has posted around here somewhere)
Kevlar Clutch Plates
Metzeler ME880 Tires
Stebel Nautilus Air Horn
ACCTs Rebuilt
Saddlemen Explorer Seat
MCCTs Installed
Kuryakyn Wide Levers Installed
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

I am glad you are ok, for the most part.

yeah, gravel got me too. it put me down in a turn on a dice run with about 50 bikes behind me! talk about your pride being hurt! boy I felt like a dolt!

I put those levers on the wife's Vulcan 500 a few years ago. we both LOVE them, they are great levers!

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 09:48 AM

Sorry to hear you went down but glad you and the bike are ok. Stay safe...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 10:06 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Ouch! I know those ribs are painful. Man I'm glad you're OK and the bike wasn't too badly damaged.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Sorry to hear you went down, but it is great that the damage to you and the bike wasn`t any worse. Take care.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Senior Lurker

Glad to hear that you were wearing all of your gear and only really sustained an injury to your pride.

I put the wide levers on my bike as soon as I got it and put the stock levers in the tool kit. If the bike ever goes down and a lever gets snapped it will be great to have spares on hand. If the clutch lever breaks badly and you don't have a spare one handy getting home can be tricky.

The wider levers are soooo much more comfortable than stock

-Sloppy

My Flickr Gallery < Link >
Westco MF battery, R/R relocated
Kryakyn LED battery monitor
Kawasaki F&S luggage rack, bag supports & headlight visor
Splines lubed at 700 miles (they were dry from the factory!)
Anodized black SuperBrace fork brace < Link >
Mutazu GA hard saddlebags < Link >
Kawasaki F&S floorboards < Link >
Chrome Kryakyn wide brake and clutch levers < Link >
Clear Alternatives LED tail light board
National Cycle N2220 Windshield
R.I.P. Lance328
Sponsored Links
Advertisement