Get'er Ready, its Ride Time...lol... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Get'er Ready, its Ride Time...lol...

Kinda went over the bike the other day thinkin, here comes a warm day here and again, then Spring and ride time... Checked everything over and it being a Sportster checked the torque on a lot of stuff since it shakes a mite more than my VNs did...lol... I was goin to do the oil & filter at 4k intervals, which would have been at 12k on the clock, but decided to go ahead and do the change and send in an oil sample to BlackStone Labs., then go from there...
I am using Mobil 1 15w-50 full synthetic so I decided to change at the 11.2K mk with 3.1k on the oil and let BlackStone Labs tell me how long to go between changes (Maybe)...lol...
I'll let y'all know what they say, and when they recommend the changes...
My nephew has a 3/4 ton PU, and sent a sample in and was told he could run his oil up to 12,000 more miles... Don't know if the truck is gas or diesel, just that he was running synhthetic oil... 18k on an oil change...????????? WOW!!!!!
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Git-R-Done!

Sounds like you're on top of it amigo, and probably a good thing too, as the weather is absolutely perfect here for riding - was in the mid 80's all weekend, and I was loving it! I'm thinking it should be getting pretty nice there too, eh?

18,000 mi on an oil change??? Really? Holy smokes! I never would have imagined. I am assuming BlackStone Labs is some place you can send oil to where they can analyze it to see how much viscosity is left...? If that really is true, it is truly mind-blowing, and something I bet all the motor oil producers do NOT want any us to find out.

I will be looking forward to hearing what the results from yours are. Have fun getting your ride ready OD, and even more fun gettin' your scoot on the road.

Have fun and ride safe my friend : )

AZ Kev

Arizona Kev

1989 VN750
7800 orig mi when purchased Jan 2011
Turned 11,000 mi Nov 2011
Saddlebags
Taillight relocation kit
Chad's highway peg mounts
Emgo Pegs
Aftermarket mirrors
Dunlop D404's

Otherwise, all stock

"But it's a dry heat - like the inside of an oven"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Totally Wrong !!!

Well I got it wrong, (CRS again) I finally found the e-mail but couldn't copy the pdf file and take his personal info out, but it verifies what the e-mail says... 23k on an oil change!!!!!!!!!!!!
So here is the e-mail pasted---
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey,
Thought you would find this interesting. Here is the oil analysis I just got back on my truck.. It says that I have some items in the oil that are abnormal but I can continue using the oil for another 7,000 miles and at that time, do another oil analysis to see if it can be used further. No filter change required. So this makes it 23,000 miles on this oil change in total.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS-Here is the link to Blackstone Labs... Most big construction Cos. use them to evaluate their heavy equipment, track hoes, dozers, pulls etc., thats where I had heard of them... As you can see much other stuff in the link....
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...

Last edited by Old Dog; 03-14-2011 at 06:51 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Kev View Post
the weather is absolutely perfect here for riding - was in the mid 80's all weekend, and I was loving it!
AZ Kev
I envy your nice riding weather. We had a few days that were upper 50's to low 60's and I was able to give my ride a little shake down to blow out the cobwebs. Today?.......lots of slushy/snowy/rainy muck on the ground. Winter is just not ready to let go yet. lol. Glad someone's gettin to ride.

John

1989 VN750
VROC#31798

I'm bad with names. May I just call you dumb?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 09:52 AM

It was about 50 here on Saturday, I was out for about 4 hours. I went everywhere, it rocked!!! I found a feeder mouse for my python, "Bones," found a great peice of apple pie with a scoop of vanilla bean at a random diner, and found a pipin' hot cup of coffee at another random diner far from the first one. If I didn't have to travel back to Philly in the afternoon I'd have been out literally all day. I really do love that machine...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 12:06 PM
Git-R-Done!

I'm glad to hear that you got to get out too LP. And John, I hope that soon you too can get out there and enjoy it. It's also nice that you didn't get sore at me for stating that, as I really wasn't trying to gloat or anything.

But then again, after living here in the Valley of the Sun for more than 25 years, I know better than that. Soon enough, you will be the ones enjoying the "nice" temps, while we are riding in 114 temperatures, telling ourselves, "Hey - at least it's a dry heat!" LOL!

Have fun and ride safe all

AZ Kev

Arizona Kev

1989 VN750
7800 orig mi when purchased Jan 2011
Turned 11,000 mi Nov 2011
Saddlebags
Taillight relocation kit
Chad's highway peg mounts
Emgo Pegs
Aftermarket mirrors
Dunlop D404's

Otherwise, all stock

"But it's a dry heat - like the inside of an oven"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Kev View Post
And John, I hope that soon you too can get out there and enjoy it. It's also nice that you didn't get sore at me for stating that, as I really wasn't trying to gloat or anything. AZ Kev
No worries, Kev. Nothin' to get sore at. Only makes me wish I was out there ridin' with ya.

John

1989 VN750
VROC#31798

I'm bad with names. May I just call you dumb?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement