Dumb question - helmet lock? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Dumb question - helmet lock?

So I feel like a moron asking this but I am new to motorcycles. I saw in the recent KeyCode thread someone mentioned a "HELMET LOCK". So I got to the back of my bike, and sure as balls there are some little locking things there. Can somebody explain how to use these? Do I need a cable or something? Feel free to berate with insults, you can't call me anything I havnt already called myself.
HEH

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 12:52 AM

lol I wondered about them myself when I first read about them... but I didn't find any on my bike though
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 01:21 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceal View Post
lol I wondered about them myself when I first read about them... but I didn't find any on my bike though
you put the key in them(ignition) and turn them and the little bar slide open, take D- ring of your helmet strap and turn the lock shut ,remove the key,helmet locked,it's magic

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 08:46 AM

Hey BigBlue, folks that have been riding for a while take these simple things for granted. But don't feel bad. We all ask dumb questions in the beginning, especially (like me) starting late in life. Hang around the forum. Read profusely. You'll learn the lingo and all about your bike soon enough. Heck, go ahead and ask some "dumb" questions. Some may laugh, but you'll get your answers. You too will laugh later when somone asks, "What's a helmet lock? Do I have one of those, or can I buy an aftermarket one?" LOL. Hang in there!

John

1989 VN750
VROC#31798

I'm bad with names. May I just call you dumb?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
you put the key in them(ignition) and turn them and the little bar slide open, take D- ring of your helmet strap and turn the lock shut ,remove the key,helmet locked,it's magic
its magic, thats funny!
they are great if you go shopping on the bike, I hated carrying my helmet around walmart. my ignition key did not fit mine when I got my bike so I had to rekey it to fit my key, one of the po's (previous owners) must have changed the ignition!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 09:17 AM

Last year when I got my motorcycle license and bought a vulcan I seen the bracket and asked my mechanic what it was for. He told me it was for the helmet and showed me how it worked. No question is stupid especially if you have never experienced things like the helmet lock. So anytime I get a oil change or even have my mechanic check my tire pressure I always tip him and while I am there I ask a bunch of questions and get things checked out for free. Yes i know how to check tire pressure but it gets me in the door at my mechanic and I love tipping him ten bucks after I ask him does that look right? Is this suppose to be like this? lol!

www.vulcanriders.us scuba
vn750.com scuba
vulcanforum.com scuba54220
vroc.org VROC # 32658 (scuba)
1984 kz750 ltd
1982 yamaha maxim 750
2002 nomad trike
1978 suzuki 250
1964 harley amf
1987 yamaha venture 1300
1984 honda silverwing
custom exhaust
custom mirrors
custom grips
custom floorboards
ride-on tire sealant
corbin seat and backrest
custom exhaust
willie & max saddle bags
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluezuk View Post
So I feel like a moron asking this but I am new to motorcycles. I saw in the recent KeyCode thread someone mentioned a "HELMET LOCK". So I got to the back of my bike, and sure as balls there are some little locking things there. Can somebody explain how to use these? Do I need a cable or something? Feel free to berate with insults, you can't call me anything I havnt already called myself.
HEH
No question is a dumb question if you don't know, well maybe one, the one you don't ask...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Keep in mind that anyone can just cut the D ring off at the strap and walk away with your helmet. If you have a $400 dollar helmet you might want to avoid using these locks.

Yes, cutting the D ring off may ruin the helmet, but new D rings can be sewn on , often poorly, and your lid will end up on Ebay selling for a half price. Druggies don't care if they ruin the helmets function, as they can still get enough money at a pawn shop for it to make it worth the trouble. Only takes a sharp knife.

Not saying the locks are useless, just be aware of their limits. If you want better security a strong lock and a cable fed through the visor opening of your full face and wrapped around a part of the frame will stop just about every would be crook.

I always took my helmet with me. Made a nice shopping bag for small items,always started intresting conversations, and made a wonderfull "club" to swing if I came out of the store and found someone messing with my bike.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Keep in mind that anyone can just cut the D ring off at the strap and walk away with your helmet. If you have a $400 dollar helmet you might want to avoid using these locks.

Yes, cutting the D ring off may ruin the helmet, but new D rings can be sewn on , often poorly, and your lid will end up on Ebay selling for a half price. Druggies don't care if they ruin the helmets function, as they can still get enough money at a pawn shop for it to make it worth the trouble. Only takes a sharp knife.

Not saying the locks are useless, just be aware of their limits. If you want better security a strong lock and a cable fed through the visor opening of your full face and wrapped around a part of the frame will stop just about every would be crook.

I always took my helmet with me. Made a nice shopping bag for small items,always started intresting conversations, and made a wonderfull "club" to swing if I came out of the store and found someone messing with my bike.

KM
this is true about cutting the strap,I wouldn't trust them very far either. If you make a cable you can also run it thru the sleeves of your jacket so no one walks off with it easily.The helmet lock on the bike does what most locks do.It keeps honest people honest, a die hard thief is going to get it if he wants it,and as tor the "it's magic" I was just laughing with you ,not at you. After all you said we could.Feel free to ask anything other wise you will never learn nothing new.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Yep, about all I do is enough to keep a kid from becoming a thief... I don't have the locks, but I do carry a bicycle combo lock cable and put it around the wheel & fork & thru the ring and hang my helmet on my Hwy. peg, the time or two I have thought I should...
I don't figure I would stop a real thief, unless, oh well...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement