Snapping sound at startup? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Snapping sound at startup?

I'm getting a weird sound at startup, kind of a snapping or sharp cracking from the front of the engine near as I can tell... just replaced the stator (Electrosport) and R&R (Rick's) a couple of months ago, voltage is good and it runs fine but it started making that sound a few weeks ago. Thought maybe it was a lose connection at the starter, but I've found nothing amiss.. any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 07:30 PM

Isn't there a screw that can come loose inside the case?

Or the balancers or something...

I know someone has something in his signature that says something poked through his case because of the balancers (I think).

I'm not very helpful, am I? u_u sorry
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

snapping sound

thanks, I hope to god it's not anything like that...to clarify, it only snaps once or twice at startup, then goes away... sounds more like an electrical arcing than anything mechanical...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
it is probably your starter hanging up for a split second. I am sorry to hear you threw your money out on an Electrosport stator, should have bought two from Tim Parrot at Tim Parrot Enterprises [email protected] . and the Rick's R/Rs have also been known to be cheesy here lately as well.

Balancer problems are a constant grinding, not just on start up.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
Balancer problems are a constant grinding, not just on start up.
uh oh...

lol
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 09:18 AM

Mine is doing this as well. I replaced my stator last summer and it has done that ever since. It doesn't seem to affect anything though after it starts. I'm almost at a couple thousand miles since I replaced the stator. I'm interested to see if anyone has any explanation for this. I also replaced the dampners on the balancer while I was in there.

Mom, I'm not wearing my helmet only for the purpose of taking this picture and
the background was digitally blurred to make it look like I'm going really fast.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Member? ... check.

Garage
If the snapping sound is an electrical arc, it would most likely be in the high tension section from the coils to the plugs. I think I would check the plug wires carefully for cracking or burns, especially where wire routing passes grounded surfaces. If it does it all the time, you might find an arc by starting it in a dark area and looking for the arc. Additionally, the connection of the plug wires to the coils should be inspected.

Secondly, since a correlation to stator replacement is indicated, I think it would be prudent to check voltage to ground on the three yellow feed wires on the R/R. I would also consider placing a clamp meter on each wire to get current readings. These wires should also be inspected for any problems with insulation.

Good hunting.

~~C8> Ratt
Next: LED's
Will Do: Horns, Shave(maybe)

Last edited by ZCraggRatt; 03-02-2011 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Secondly
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Wink Thanks everyone

for all the suggestions, checking the wires in the dark is a good idea... so long as my wife doesn't catch me, she already is suspicious of my hanging out in the garage at all hours ....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
I think it would be prudent to check voltage to ground on the three yellow feed wires on the R/R
Not Voltage... OHMS... voltage to ground here means nothing since its an AC Voltage... Ohms measures the resistance to ground to make sure none of the windings is shorting out to ground. I tried to explain this to ZCraggRatt before, but I don't think its sinking in.

I don't think your problem is in the Charging system... check the ground and power wires at the starter... I too was having this problem... found that my power wire was frayed and would jump a spark when the bike started.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 10:05 PM

When Tim re-did my stator, I had him leave extra length on the wires so I could run them all the way to the R/R and eliminate the bullet connectors(my old ones were all melted together). So my wiring there is all new.

Slim you may have hit the nail on the head, at least for mine. Mine sounds like it comes from the starter area. Since I didn't take my engine all the way out, I didn't unhook any wiring that I though didn't need unhook. I may have tugged on some of the wiring to the starter and caused it to fray. I'll check that out this weekend while it's raining AGAIN.

Mom, I'm not wearing my helmet only for the purpose of taking this picture and
the background was digitally blurred to make it look like I'm going really fast.

Last edited by wvshaneb; 03-03-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement