Throttle cable linkage bracket broken... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Git-R-Done!

Throttle cable linkage bracket broken...

Hi all,

Ok, given the lengthy title, I'm sure you're wondering what the heck I am talking about! Lol. Well, I was trying to think of a way to describe it in a sentence, and that's the best I could come up with. Now, I will try to describe a little better.

When I bough my motorcycle, the gentleman I bought it from mentioned that a "bracket" was broken where the throttle (accelerator/decelerator) cables attach to the carb linkage. It turns out that - as far as I can tell - there is a small piece of metal that rises from one of carbs, perpendicular to it, that the throttle linkage actually attaches to. And this metal piece has broken off, making it somewhat impossible to adjust the idle.

I am planning on posting some pics later after I get home so I can "show" everyone what I am talking about. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue, and if so, what they did to fix it? Given that the bike only had 7800 orig miles when I got it, and was well taken care of, I am thinking others may have experienced this as well.

My thought is - rather than replacing one of the carbs, or the whole assy, that I would try using some JB Weld to re-attach the metal piece to the carb. I just hate to do any real major work on the carbs at all to fix this issue, as the bike is running AWESOME. And it seems like everytime I have tried to "fix" something like this, it ends up causing far more problems than it solves. As it is now, the bike runs well, and the only real problem it causes is that I am not able to adjust the idle any lower than about 1100-1200 RPMs.

As always, I appreciate any and all advice, experience and info - thanks all!

AZ Kev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

1,100 is recommended, so you're not off much at all.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Git-R-Done!

Thanks fc - I thought it was pretty close to recommended. Sometimes when it warms up, it likes to go about 12, maybe 1300, and at those times I would like to be able to notch it down just a bit.

I think I will see about doing the JB Weld this weekend. If it looks too convoluted, I will probably just let it ride as is, and wait until something else needs to be done in that area. Like the old saying goes - if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Lol! : )

AZ Kev

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
you might try and just fabricate a piece to take the broken linkages place instead of JB wed.. the JB Weld is only a temporary fix..
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Git-R-Done!

That's some great advice slim - the only problem is that I really don't have the resources (tools, skills, etc) to really 'facbricate' such a piece. At least not the kind I am thinking I would need, which would probably need to be welded to the carb or something (is that even possible, given that they are so fuel soaked?)

Did you have a specific idea in mind? I would love to hear your thoughts. Who knows, maybe it is something I could pull off. Every now and then I surprise myself! Lol

: )

AZ Kev
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
I would have to look at this said part on my bike.. but it shouldn't be as hard s you are thinking.. just pull the part off, trace it out on a piece of metal that is about the same thickness, then cut it out with a jigsaw... if the bracket is riveted or pinched on... then gently pry it off, reattach the new one by tapping it into place, then use a punch to reattach the part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement