Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Help me troubleshoot?

906 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Ceal 
#1 ·
Today my bike started doing something... when I press the start button it kinda starts cranking and stops, then cranks again and starts.

The first crank is really short, then a stop, then cranks and starts.

At first, when it stops, it's kinda like when you have a discharged battery, but when it resumes it comes on strong.

You guys think it's electrical, or could it be mechanical? Like... something in there getting stuck on the moving parts.

When I changed the oil, I didn't check for plastic bits... I red that I should check for plastic bits after I was done with the oil change :-/ so that's why I can't tell for sure if it could be mechanical.

#3 ·
^ Also check & clean battery connections, both ends especially the ground...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

#4 ·
Well, I already cleaned the start button when I changed the wiring... it was quite rusty, so I sanded it a bit to get rid of that... I got the contacts nice and shiny and it worked great after that.

I did clean the connections but only where they attach to the battery... I'll check the other end too, thanks for the advice!

I don't have a spare relay and the Mexican government just took away all the money I had to spend on the bike (license plates and driver's license were stupidly expensive), so I'll try bypassing the starter relay and see if it cranks better.

If it all fails, I'll take off the starter and look at the brushes.

Thanks a lot for the advice guys... I really hope it's not the battery or anything mechanical :-/

#5 ·
Mine started doing that a few weeks before my old battery went dead. It also does it when it's really cold and the battery is weak. When the battery gets to charge a bit it doesn't do it any more. I've also read on here to take the starter apart and clean it up helps some with starting issues. I have 2 vn750's in the garage now. The starter on the newer one sounds different than the older one and starts much easier than the older one too. So there may be something to that starter cleaning idea.

#6 ·
Cool, thanks for the reply... I really hope it's not the battery, but it just might be... if it is, I'll go for the Deka or Yuasa this time instead of the Wal Mart brand. They only gave me 3 months warranty :-/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.