Running cold, thermostat options - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Running cold, thermostat options

I went out today for a ride. Temps were around 60F. I got the bike warmed up driving out of town. Once I got into the country doing 55mph the bike started cooling down. By the time I got back the temps were running right at the very bottom of the normal range (touching the cold range) on the gauge. Once I started riding around town again it went back into the normal range. I'm guessing this is a sticky thermostat. Where is a good source for purchasing such an item?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Banned

I'm not sure that you have a problem here, the way you described the temp needle on the gauge sounds pretty normal. Regardless, is running "cold" really a problem? As long as both of your cylinders are firing right, I would think that running cold would improve engine performance. Now, if your fan is running constantly, I can see where that could be an issue.

Last edited by km60155; 02-05-2011 at 10:32 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

I think if I did determine that I needed a new thermostat, I would just get one from the local Kaw. dealership rather than letting someone else decide which and whatever, after all its not gonna cost a fortune...
It does sound to me like it might be stuck open, as the air flow is having too much effect...
With my air cooled engine that would be how it is supposed to act, but I think with a radiator (best set up) I think you should be able to keep a more constant Temp. ...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

In cold weather mine barely reaches the first hash mark. Very cold air going over the radiator is going to reduce coolant temperature more so than when the bike is stopped/traveling slowly. Sounds like your thermostat is operating normally.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
In cold weather mine barely reaches the first hash mark. Very cold air going over the radiator is going to reduce coolant temperature more so than when the bike is stopped/traveling slowly. Sounds like your thermostat is operating normally.
That is true but with a properly operating and proper temp thermostat, I don't think that cold water should be flowing into the engine that cold, that is the thermostats job, to let water circulate at a temperature and to stop the circulation at another temp... I had a cage that the heater wouldn't work in cold weather, the mechanic put a hotter temp. thermostat in and it still didn't work, so he went to a still hotter one, and it still would not work, finally he put one in colder than the orig. and presto the water circulated and my heater worked fine... So it can go both ways...
PS-A wide range of operating temps will give you excessive engine wear, that is one of the advantages of water cooled over air cooled...IMO...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...

Last edited by Old Dog; 02-05-2011 at 09:54 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Agreed, OD, but once the coolant reaches minimum temperature, the thermostat opens. I'm assuming (and you know where that leads) that once the thermostat opens in cold weather, the cooling effect of the radiator keeps the coolant temperature just hot enough to keep the thermostat open. This is reflected in the minimal movement of the temperature gauge.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 01:11 PM

It could also be that the thermostat is sticking open which would cause it to run cold. But at the same time it wouldn't allow it to heat up unless sitting idling for a time. I'd change out the thermostat just to be safe. That's what I would do but it's not my bike.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I'm a pretty good car wrench and if this were my car there would be no question it would require a thermostat change (probably wouldn't pass SMOG at that temp). I was just wondering if there is anything specific to motorcyles that would make it want to be cold. It doesn't sound like it.

I suspect I have the original coolant in the bike so I'm planning to change the coolant, the thermostat and the pressure cap at the same time to get ready for summer. We get triple digit temps in the summer so I'll need it up to snuff.

-Robert
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Here is an old thread with some automotive alternative suggestions for thermostats and rad caps on the vn7XX. Read the whole thread as some of the initial parts suggested are obviously the wrong size when compared visually, according to those posting in the thread.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...d%2Bthermostat

A 160*F t-stat from a `79-`89 Honda Accord seems to fit and function OK after a year of riding. See last post by ktullu.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 02-05-2011 at 08:21 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 03:35 PM

That is some good information. Thanks Hoss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement