Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Possibly trading the bike.

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  ClassicFnAllen 
#1 ·
So...my bike has been in the shop for amost 2 weeks now, and the dip****s that are working on it cant seem to fix, or find new carburetors for it, and I really need some wheels...so...If they cant fix this bike by weds, Ill possibly be trading it for a Honda Shadow 750, that, evidently, looks like a vulcan. Not sure on the year, but some that I saw on google kind of did bear a slight resemblance to the vulcan, and others just looked like, and I hate to be cliche, like old man bikes. Anyhow, whats the scoop on the Shadow? If any of you guys have ever owned one, Id like to here some input on it.

#2 · (Edited)
It's slow and doesn't handle as well,get your bike back and send your carbs to Crobins365 or Carbworx

#3 ·
It's slow and doesn't handle as well,get your bike back and send your carbs to Crobins365
Hm. Thats what I was worried about..haha. Well..aparently the shadow is actually an 86 650...which sucks, because it would be a pretty significant downgrade, BUT...I love the way it looks. Especially in black. There is now, also, an 02 Honda 1100 on the table, now...which I could have by saturday, but it has a windshield, running boards, and saddlebags. Im not very fond of any of those items. Im 22. Enough said..But they're all removable so, no worries. It sucks about the vulcan, cause I like it, but..if I trade it would probably be for the better, because the vulcan needs some pretty heavy appearance work, which I dont have the time, or patience for. Anyhow. How about the 1100? Good bike? And any more info on Corbins365?

#4 ·
Crobins365 is a member here. Send her a PM if you'd like to contact her. Here's the site for carbworx: http://www.carbworx.com/

#5 ·
Thanks. Im not going to get the Shadow 650, so its between keeping the Vulcan, or getting the 1100 now. Im almost positive that the 1100 is going to be a Shadow Sabre, not a Shadow Spirit (the one I like), so..getting the carbs redone or whatever might be an option, now.

#8 ·
You can yank all the stuff you don't want on your bike, sell it online, then buy whatever you want for it - including new pegs. If you're new bike (whichever one) has a luggage rack, you might want to look into a roll bag. They don't stick out like saddle bags so keep the low profile but still carry all your loot. If you can carry all your stuff for a weekend trip in just a fork bag and your pockets, you're my new personal hero. :smiley_th

Let us know what you decide, I love hearing about new bike purchases. Good luck bro!

#9 ·
Haha. Yeah I have a fork bag, but It'll probably be going on the back, if allowed. I guess I have no choice but to go with the Magna. I havent had wheels since december, so Im just gonna go with it. The bike has some pretty decent reviews, and I KNOW that this one runs. Thats the most important thing. Should actually be picking it up tomorrow. Ill putt around on it until I can afford something else.

#10 ·
I just moved away from the P'cola/Gulf Breeze area several months ago. I may be familiar (or experienced) with the shop where you've left your Vulcan....who is it?

Which "Magna" are you considering? What do you mean above by "no choice" (heck, in a buyer's market like this, you always have a choice!)...:confused:...?

#13 ·
Its a V65..thats all I know. Im assuming its an 1100 because I cant find anything online about a 650. The shadow isnt an option anymore. I do have a choice, and I dont. I need wheels badly. I could wait and wait some more for something better, but I havent been able to drive, or ride since december, and Im getting seriously impatient.

#14 · (Edited)
Forget about getting a new bike. Getting a new bike because of carbs is like getting a new car because the ashtrays are full. I did my carbs myself in accord to the manual (I am NOT a mechanic) and it was easy as long as you follow instructions. For that go to ebay, purchase new/used carbs; interchange what you need and that's it. Purchase a Kawasaki VN750 manual, 'easy to read section on carbs. Do it yourself or have you mechanic read it (with illustrations) and that's it. Many (most) mechanics do not have experience with Vulcans and assume repair issues are all the same for all bikes. Bulls**T! I fail to understand why he chooses to complicate this simple procedure, other then he just wants your money. Ride safe.
Well, we had another set of carbs for it, but they were bad apparently...I dunno man. Im just getting impatient. Haha. All the work on the bike is free, too, as part of a favor. We fixed some transmission of the guy who owns the shop, so he owes my step dad. I just want something that I know is going to work as soon as I get it. I liked the vulcan and all, but...It did need a decent amount of body work, and I dont have the time for all that.

Man. Im an idiot...haha...would have multi quoted all this, but, I didnt see all these replies at once.

#15 ·
The V65 Magna is a BRUTE! It's a 65 cubic inch (~1100cc) V4, and HAULS.
It has almost twice the power of your existing Vulcan.
They have their own quirks, and have a major following... just like the Vulcan.

How many miles on the Magna?

Good Luck whichever way you go!

#17 ·
You don't say which shop you're using to repair your Vulcan, so I can't comment or suggest anything there....:(

Anyone who's been in Gulf Breeze, FL for any length of time knows that town is one great big speed trap. :mad:

I would not recommend a Magna in your situation.

There were no "650" Shadow cruisers made. Later model Shadows include the 600cc VLX, a 750cc and then the 1100cc (Spirit & Sabre).

In any case, your best bet is to fix the carbs on the Vulcan (as indicated above, or use carbworx--they're great!).

If you buy another bike besides the Vulcan, you also lose the HUGE advantage of the info, camaraderie and expertise available on this forum. Also, parts for the Vulcan are easy (and in most cases, relatively cheap) to find...and will be for quite some time (since the VN750 was built for 20 years, virtually unchanged). If you buy an 1100cc Magna, you're basically on your own, by comparison. Some spare parts for that bike will be difficult (if not impossible) to buy--and so will be pricey.

If you have issues with body parts on your current Vulcan, you can find newer, & installed, for far less than the cost of the Magna.

In any case, don't let your emotions (in this case, impatience) push you into an hasty buying decision...that you could well regret later....:doh:

#19 ·
Well a dude I work with says he can fix the vulcan, so Im going to bring the bike to him on sunday, and go from there.

As for the shop I took it to, its in Ft. Walton. Its not even open yet, really...I dont know if they've picked out a name yet, but we took it to the guy cause he owes my step dad for some transmission work, and we was going to fix it for free. More than likely he just wants me to get a new bike through him so he doesnt have to fix the bike for FREE, and instead, gets a monthly payment from me. Oh well. when I go pick up the bike, I'll be sure to let him know how I feel about it.

#20 ·
Unless your friend at work has worked on VN750 carbs b4, it might be a great idea to make sure said friend has a VN750 repair manual (either the Hayne's, Clymer or Kawi).

Whether or not your friend has a good mechanical aptitude, the manual should save a lot of head-scatching and thus should be much appreciated.

Keep us posted on how things go, ok?...:beerchug:

#21 ·
Well he's the Remove/Replace guy at the trans shop that I work at, and he owns a Vulcan (not sure on the CC's), and does basically every kind of mechanic work there is to do, and hes been doing it all for 35 years, apparently. Seems pretty damn knowledgeable. Cant hurt to let him take a look at it. Gonna drop the bike off with him on sunday, and if its as easy as he says, I should be riding by next week. None of that "ohhh well we dont have it ready" bull****.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.