Why no more older/metric styled Kaws? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Git-R-Done!

Why no more older/metric styled Kaws?

I recently bought a 1989 VN750, and I LOVE the styling of it - kind of an aggressive, performance type style, yet very comfortable. I like that style of motorcycle, but noticed while looking through the 2010 and 2011 models for Kawasaki, that none of them have that kind of styling anymore (probably haven't for sometime, I just wasn't paying attention). It seems like all of the models look like Harleys now. And don't get me wrong - I am not an anti-Harley person. I just like to think that there are options for cruisers that DON'T look like Harleys too.

I noticed that Suzuki (which is what I used to ride) still has some bikes in their lineup that retain that older metric performance street cruiser styling, like the S83 and even S40. I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on why Kawasaki is not making anything like the older Vulcans anymore? And if anyone thinks there is any chance they might again.

I am planning on keeping my '89 til the wheels fall off because I love the styling. But it would be nice to think that if I wanted a new bike that looked something like it from Kawasaki, I could get one. But it looks like no one other than Suzuki is making anything like them. I guess I better keep mine in top shape then, eh?

(of course, as I sit here now thinking about it, I guess people could very well say the same thing about cars; and I guess I can hope that like with the current camaros and mustangs, the "old" metric styling will come back)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Kev View Post
I recently bought a 1989 VN750, and I LOVE the styling of it - kind of an aggressive, performance type style, yet very comfortable. I like that style of motorcycle, but noticed while looking through the 2010 and 2011 models for Kawasaki, that none of them have that kind of styling anymore (probably haven't for sometime, I just wasn't paying attention). It seems like all of the models look like Harleys now. And don't get me wrong - I am not an anti-Harley person. I just like to think that there are options for cruisers that DON'T look like Harleys too.

I noticed that Suzuki (which is what I used to ride) still has some bikes in their lineup that retain that older metric performance street cruiser styling, like the S83 and even S40. I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on why Kawasaki is not making anything like the older Vulcans anymore? And if anyone thinks there is any chance they might again.

I am planning on keeping my '89 til the wheels fall off because I love the styling. But it would be nice to think that if I wanted a new bike that looked something like it from Kawasaki, I could get one. But it looks like no one other than Suzuki is making anything like them. I guess I better keep mine in top shape then, eh?

(of course, as I sit here now thinking about it, I guess people could very well say the same thing about cars; and I guess I can hope that like with the current camaros and mustangs, the "old" metric styling will come back)

how's this grab you,The Z1000, check out the ER6N Kaw too

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I don't think they are coming back. Many "styles" come and go, or mutate in some way over time.

Kawasaki for awhile collaborated on some models with Suzuki, so I guess you can say they still had a hand in Suzuki bikes you mentioned.

But times change. Your last statement of course it true, you can say the same thing about alot of vehicle styles, 4 wheel or 2.

Remember the 1982 Honda 750 Super Sport? Although gone, you can see styling cues from that bike in others made today.

The metric "cuiser" bike was always just Japans way of attempting to appeal to the american market...which was really trying to capture the "image" of Harley Davidson style bikes planted in the mind of most potential owners.
I don't care what anyone says...they all in some way were in fact copying HD styling cues. Some of course more than others.

I'm glad you like the styling of the Vulcan 750. I did too...and picked it over the glut of bikes that looked more "Harelyesque" back in 2002 when I bought mine.

But then I liked my Yamaha RD 400 , my Kaw triples, and my 81 Secca...all of which are "lost" styling examples on their own.

But then, my tastes have changed a bit too. Today, this is what I am riding:

But again glad you are happy with what you ride.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 01:53 AM
Daily rider

Garage
IMHO, if you look at what a lot of Harley riders are on these days, and the Road King in it's varying forms stands out far above the rest in my mind. That seems to be the trend of where the metric bike companies are going with their cruiser bikes. We'll see how popular the Vaquero is, although I don't know if the economy will bring a lot of sales to any bike company.

2017 Indian Roadmaster (current ride)
2003 VN1600A (Traded August 2017 to #1 son for a Bushmaster AR)
2001 VN750 bought 4/19/08 w/2309 miles(Sold April 2010 with just over 12,000 miles)
VROC #33035
__________________________________________________ ________________
Just when I thought I was winning the rat race, somebody moved the finish line!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmnet View Post
IMHO, if you look at what a lot of Harley riders are on these days, and the Road King in it's varying forms stands out far above the rest in my mind. That seems to be the trend of where the metric bike companies are going with their cruiser bikes. We'll see how popular the Vaquero is, although I don't know if the economy will bring a lot of sales to any bike company.
I think I am like a some others, lost in the rear somewhere...lol...
If I had a Road King the first accessory I would put on it would be a FOR SALE sign, just not me in no way, however I can see a RK for someone that he and his other half want to ride long distance across country or whatever...
But that's why they make chocolate and that other stuff (can't spell vanilla)... I guess I like a few others will stick with the bikes most like the 80s styles, I just don't see the fat hogs for me...lol...
PS-Not knockin those that like those big things & windsheilds, but on the interstates & big roads, my Grand Marquis has size, a windsheild and a smoother ride... Thats just me...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...

Last edited by Old Dog; 02-02-2011 at 08:37 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:

Good point. I sold my VN750 to my buddy Brandon and he is absolutely in love with it, so was I when it was mine. He said all the cruisers now-a-days you have to lean forward on. The "mini-apes" on the VN750's let you sit back and relax and that's why he's in love with it. Also that it's got quite a pair of course.

Your points well taken, I think the style is now considered dated. No doubt things will circle back around to that type of styling but it just became considered dated so we probably have a while till that happens. I did a paper on antiquing in college and the main point was: things that most people consider junk, if kept for long enough, will eventually become the most desirable - it's cyclic. And perhaps more importantly, other people - the enthusiasts, will pay through the nose for them. Your "new" muscle car analogy is perfect. I'm not a huge Ford guy but if you like old muscle you have to admit, they absolutely nailed the new mustang. They're so ubiquitous, I dare you to drive on any highway in the US for 10 minutes and not see one. The problem is, that style was popular 40 years ago. Antiques typically have 30 year generations, 40 makes them popular to the masses - the non-enthusiasts. That's when they become marketable, when the risk/benefit scale tips to benefit. So if you're waiting for that cruiser style to come back, you may have a while. Mean time, enjoy the hell out of your VN750 cause you're right, it freekin' rocks.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

After I wrecked my 06 vn750 I found a near new Suzuki S83 near me for sale, the price was right and I thought that would be for me... I went and looked at it and kinda liked the style & looks, took it for a short stroll and walked away... CRS-But something about the ridin steerin turned me around, I just remember I had to wrestle it in the sorta shorter turns... Can't remember, under, over or what......

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Git-R-Done!

LibertyPilot - that's a great synopsis, and some great insight. Thanks for that. And you nailed perfectly the reason I like the older metrics (other than the fact that they just plain kick butt and look great of course!) : I like the riding position better. I don't necessarily care for the "reach forward" riding position of nearly all of the newer cruisers.

OldDog - thanks for the review of the S83, as I was seriously considering one of them awhile back too. Of course, I would still have to ride one myself to know if I liked it or not, but always good to have another viewpoint.

For now, I am just going to keep my bike in the absolute best condition I can and be very grateful that I was able to get my hands on such a sweet one. Thanks guys!

AZ Kev
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Quote:
Of course, I would still have to ride one myself to know if I liked it or not, but always good to have another viewpoint. AZ Kev
Exactly why I brought it up, ride it, especially get a feel in the shorter turns...

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
LibertyPilot - that's a great synopsis, and some great insight. Thanks for that. And you nailed perfectly the reason I like the older metrics (other than the fact that they just plain kick butt and look great of course!) : I like the riding position better. I don't necessarily care for the "reach forward" riding position of nearly all of the newer cruisers.

OldDog - thanks for the review of the S83, as I was seriously considering one of them awhile back too. Of course, I would still have to ride one myself to know if I liked it or not, but always good to have another viewpoint.

For now, I am just going to keep my bike in the absolute best condition I can and be very grateful that I was able to get my hands on such a sweet one. Thanks guys!

AZ Kev
Yup, a ton of guys on the Mean Streak (my current bike) forum bought aftermarket risers for their bikes to elimiate the 'lean forward' position you mentioned. I didn't but I'm ok with the stock riding position.

I can tell you're sharp, you're spot on yet again. Being grateful for landing that ride is the best thing you can possibly do for it. Enjoy it and post a pic with the seat on if you get a chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement