Hell Bike update - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Hell Bike update

Hi guys,
Havn't been on in awhile. I bought my 91 vulcan in July and rode it about 5 times before all hell broke loose. I tried seafoam and the like and it still wouldn't run for chit. I ended up pulling the carbs and basically had to do the ear shave since I killed the plastic air thing in the process. Had a buddy of mine who builds old bikes do a rebuild on them with bigger jets and shims and a lot of new parts since they were junktastic.

Got my coasters today and went to install them and of course the pos bolts broke haha. I'm still not sure what to do about the exhaust since it's off, but I can't see spending any more money without knowing it will run for sure. Guess I may just put the goat back on. I got k&n filters today. Gas tank and fenders are still at father in laws getting painted.

Future problems. Yeah, the oil sight glass is cracked. I'm thinking about supergluing it, any suggestions? It leaks coolant out of the tube on the back head. Is that just an o ring? I'm probably going to need a battery. Fork seals are junk. I'm torn if I get it running of selling it and running the hell away from it or keeping it. Probably should keep it, but seriously, every damn bolt has broke. I think I just hate old things now. I don't even know if I like the bike cuz I hardly got to ride it at all lol. The sad part is my cousin sold it to me. Needless to say, I havn't talk to him since. Thanks guys, sorry for the rant

Bike is sold, thanks for the help guys. Ride safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 09:20 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Yeah, the oil sight glass is cracked. I'm thinking about supergluing it, any suggestions?
A couple of guys here had a broken sight glass on their master brake cylinders, and found replacements on ebay for just a few $$.

Try newrivercyclesalvage here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-ka...item53dbbd7438
They say they can make any size you need. This *buy it now* price is $12.50.

Check the ebay vn750 link for fork seals. I got a set of oil and dust seals for $20. IIRC, Ma Kawi`s retail was ~ $60 for the two sets.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 01-25-2011 at 09:41 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Cool, thanks for the link. How do you change that thing? Just bust the old one out and put a new one in from the outside? I just wrestled the carbs in but now I need to find some pictures of how the cables go in and which goes where cuz I forgot..

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
Cool, thanks for the link. How do you change that thing? Just bust the old one out and put a new one in from the outside? I just wrestled the carbs in but now I need to find some pictures of how the cables go in and which goes where cuz I forgot..
I know you can drain the oil and pull the cover off. I don`t know how or if the oil sight glass can actually be replaced and reattached to the cover. The Clymer manual shows a picture of a slotted metal disc over the sight glass on the inside of the cover.

Suggestion for you- Next time you pull parts off the bike, take pictures first so you can see how it goes back together.

Also get a service manual, and save yourself a lot of time and trouble.

Fork seal link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...QQcmdZViewItem

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 01-26-2011 at 11:18 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I have the service manual, but the pictures suck. Can't tell how the decellerator cable is routed. But really I think the problem is it's too cold and I have no patience when my hands are numb.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Git-R-Done!

I can relate

Just thought I would chime in with a bit of "peer support" and say I can feel your pain. I got some of the highway peg mounts from Chad last week and was really excited to get them on. To do so, I needed to remove - or at least attempt to - the exhaust pipe on the right side. Well, the first nut came off without a problem, and I thought I was well on my way to having a much more comfortable long-haul bike to ride.

But then I tried to get the other nut off. And instead of being patient (and smart) when it started to resist spinning, I put more force into it, and ended up snapping it right off. So now, instead of being all stoked by getting some "nice to have" on there, I am trying to figure out what the heck to do.

Fortunately, there are several cool people on this forum who have given me a lot of great advice, and I now have a number of options I am looking at. The easiest one, and the one I am hoping works, is to simply soak the thing down with PB Blaster for 2 or 3 days and then try to coax the thing out with some Vice Grips. If that doesn't work, I am probably going to cut the 1" of stud that is sticking out off and try to retap the hole myself. And, if that goes bad, then I will have to replace the exhause manifold.

In any case, it looks like it is going to be a little while before I can ride again. Which sucks, but after reading your post, doesn't really seem all that bad! Lol. Sorry to hear about your woes, and I hope everything works out for you. Sometimes, depending on the situation, it's better to cut your losses and just move on. Whatever happens, best of luck

AZ Kev
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Maybe I can help both you and your cousin. Did he sell you the bike? Or did you buy the bike from him? Just something to think about.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys.
It finally got warm enough here to work on my bike again. I actually made some progress. Got the coasters on, wrestled the exhaust back on, and fixed the coolant leak. Also got everything hooked back up. I'm waiting for my father in law to paint the tank and fenders black and it will be reassembled and hopefully running soon.

Right now I have the oil drained out and I'm thinking of trying to superglue the oil sight glass. Not sure if that will work. Is that a part you can get if it needs to be replaced? Also, does anyone know if it comes out from the inside or outside of the case? I appreciate the advice. I'm also going to need the carbs synced when it runs, but I think I've seen a post or two on that. Thanks, great site

Oh, I went bike shopping ( not for me, but my buddy) and sat on a 2011 vulcan 900 classic. Now that was a sharp ride. Blue in color. The controls were way out there! 8000 out the door. Very nice. I told the guy I had a 91 to trade for it. He said he probably couldn't even give me anything for it Peace

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
Right now I have the oil drained out and I'm thinking of trying to superglue the oil sight glass. Not sure if that will work. Is that a part you can get if it needs to be replaced? Also, does anyone know if it comes out from the inside or outside of the case?
I doubt the superglue will work, but for a temp fix while you're waiting on the new one, it may be worth a shot.

http://tinyurl.com/5wbhnao shows how it fits, and

http://tinyurl.com/6x6ysvz is the part#

Um...a bit of advice; don't use a hammer and socket to tap it in; you'll need two of 'em if you do...

It presses in from outside, and comes with a sealant already on the seal part.

Jim

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply.
So, you have to press the sight glass in. But how do you do that? Does that cover come off easily or is it a pull the motor fix? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement