Gas cap Keylock Lube? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Gas cap Keylock Lube?

So i have been having a problem with my gas cap. The key was getting very hard to turn. So i disasembled the lock and loubed it with graphite. The locked worked amazing, for about a month. Tonight I broke the key off trying to open the tank. i got a spare and limped it home, but i am out of gas. My question is, am I lubing it with the proper stuff????? My bike sits outside, covered most of the time. I was afriad to use andthing that might drip into the gas tank. Anybody had this problem?????? Any insight???? anything would help as I plan to try to solve this ASAP. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 10:32 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94vn750FL View Post
So i have been having a problem with my gas cap. The key was getting very hard to turn. So i disasembled the lock and loubed it with graphite. The locked worked amazing, for about a month. Tonight I broke the key off trying to open the tank. i got a spare and limped it home, but i am out of gas. My question is, am I lubing it with the proper stuff????? My bike sits outside, covered most of the time. I was afriad to use andthing that might drip into the gas tank. Anybody had this problem?????? Any insight???? anything would help as I plan to try to solve this ASAP. Thanks!
I've always used graphite with good results. However, a member on this forum is a locksmith and has an even better alternative. Search the forum for 'graphite' and you will eventually find the thread in which the better product is mentioned.

Also, the gas cap has 5 springs which help seal the cap to the tank. The key/lock cylinder might be just fine, but the locking tab might be dragging due to the springs (this is normal, don't try to change it). Always push the gas cap down (compressing the springs) before turning the key. This should push the locking tab into the tank slightly, allowing it to move freely.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, i searched before I asked. To no avail. There is not much on it here. This is why I asked.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Don't know about a gas cap lock, but I have always used Lock-Ease on other locks...
It is a colodial graphite for that purpose, I also used to burnish it into rifle barrel bores, especially when using coated bullets... Don't see how a bit of lube could hurt the gas either...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

So I got some Lock Ease. The key is turning but not all the way. Seems like the mechanism is tight. Anyone know a trick to getting the gas tank open????? If i could just get it open I could fix it!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

OK, i figured it out. There is a Pin in the Hinge of the gas cap. With a small screwdriver I drove the pin out of the hinge and Presto, the cap is off. What I did was dis assemble the locking maechanism. I then used an SOS pad and so fine grit sandpaper to remove any corrosion from the parts. I then put it back together piece by piece being careful to put a thin coat of Lock-Ease on each part. After assembly, It works like brand new!!!!! Even without pushing down on the gas cap the lock opens EASILY!!!! I did this a few months ago with graphite powder, except i didnt clean the parts as well. I am hoping that the Lock-Ease will last a little longer. It is very easy to do and if anyone has a lock that is not easy to turn this is the way to go.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

Whenever my gas caps get a bit sticky, I drop in some liquid wrench. I also open the cap and spray the latch, making sure it goes into the little openings all the way around. Haven't been locked out yet. Pretty much any lube should do, and since most are petroleum based, you should have no issues with it getting into the gas either.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 11:18 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94vn750FL View Post
OK, i figured it out. There is a Pin in the Hinge of the gas cap. With a small screwdriver I drove the pin out of the hinge and Presto, the cap is off. What I did was dis assemble the locking maechanism. I then used an SOS pad and so fine grit sandpaper to remove any corrosion from the parts. I then put it back together piece by piece being careful to put a thin coat of Lock-Ease on each part. After assembly, It works like brand new!!!!! Even without pushing down on the gas cap the lock opens EASILY!!!! I did this a few months ago with graphite powder, except i didnt clean the parts as well. I am hoping that the Lock-Ease will last a little longer. It is very easy to do and if anyone has a lock that is not easy to turn this is the way to go.
Hey, how's it goin? I'm having the same issue with my cap. Bent my key (got off easy I guess) getting the tank open. Thanks for the info on what you used. I was just wondering how the repair is holding up. Do you have to re-apply the lock ease every so often? Thanks again.
Dave.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 01:34 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

I use some "Tri Flow" lock lube with teflon (PTFE) on my house locks. I really smoothed up their operation this winter. I haven`t tried it on the tank lock, but assume it will work similar to the Lock-Ease.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 01:57 AM
If only it had 6th gear..

Cool thanks. I'll try the Tri Flow. That's pretty good stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement