New VN750 Owner and R/R question - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
2002 vn 750

New VN750 Owner and R/R question

Just purchased a 2002 Vn750. Love the looks and bike overall. Hope it rides as good as it looks. I have been looking through this forum (awesome by the way) and I am defiantly going to do at least the 10 important things suggested. Question is, I want to move my R/R. I've read how others are doing it and have seen Bulldogs bracket. I personally do not like the R/R in this location. The bike is too clean looking in my opinion to have the R/R over the footpeg. Also I would be worried about water and vibration inthis location. Has anyone move the R/R to a different location where it is not so visable. I also read that you could remove the "goats belly" instead of relocation the R/R. Whats the thoughts on that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vila View Post
Just purchased a 2002 Vn750. Love the looks and bike overall. Hope it rides as good as it looks. I have been looking through this forum (awesome by the way) and I am defiantly going to do at least the 10 important things suggested. Question is, I want to move my R/R. I've read how others are doing it and have seen Bulldogs bracket. I personally do not like the R/R in this location. The bike is too clean looking in my opinion to have the R/R over the footpeg. Also I would be worried about water and vibration inthis location. Has anyone move the R/R to a different location where it is not so visable. I also read that you could remove the "goats belly" instead of relocation the R/R. Whats the thoughts on that?
First-Welcome Vila...
I moved my R/R out to the left side w/bracket (home made) & U bolt, as for removing the goats belly I didn't remove it, as it is like a cross over I just punched or cut out the deflectors so the exaust could go on thru the same side...
That probably helped the heat on the battery, but since I had put the R/R outside in the good air it didn't mean anything R/R wise... Did have a better sound though... Never had an R/R problem with the 03 or the 06 bikes I owned in several thousand miles, so it must have worked...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome. At least one member moved it up by the radiator, but you will need to lengthen the wires for it to reach.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
2002 vn 750

I like the idea of the R/R being up front by the radiator. Wonder how difficult it will be to lengthen the wires.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 03:33 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
Welcome, moving the R/R to the radiator will be different if you are not good at electrical.
You will have to make a harness or cut you existing one and lengthen. You will have to make sure you waterproof all teh connections and remember that the front wheel will throw alot of water at the Radiator if you do get caught in the rain.

I would put it up high by the radiator, if you have a wind shield that may deflect alot of air away from it though.
I had mine moved with Bulldogs Bracket and stayed dry and cool.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 02:52 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness vila.
Where do you live? (If you fill out your profile, it will show on every post you make.)

I thought about moving my r/r to the front too, but it seems to be a lot of work to do for a small possibility of benefit IMHO. Splicing in 6 wire extentions gives you 12 more connections to potentially loosen or corrode while riding. Soldering the joints and covering them with shrink wrap insulation will minimize those concerns, but it is till messing with a currently fully functional wiring harness.

For maximum cooling you would want the r/r mounted off center so the front tire is not blocking direct air flow. Mounted low, it will be exposed to high velocity water, sand, gravel and other assorted debris coming off the road and kicked up by the front tire.

If mounted high by the rad, as Cspinner mentions it may be partially blocked by a windshield, rendering it not much more effective than if mounted in the OEM position or by the rear footpeg.

I have relocated my r/r to the left footpeg area, and it does not detract from the lines of the bike IMO. That is a subjective question to each individual though.

I don`t normally suggest painting the r/r, as it can cut down the efficiency of heat transfer somewhat. Still, it is an option if it will make the r/r enough less visible and objectionable to you in that position, if it were black instead of aluminum colored. I`m sure someone here will object to painting a heat exchange component like the r/r. But consider that almost every radiator ever installed in a cage or on a bike is painted black, and it`s primary function is heat exchange too.

I had to take the battery box off to clean it of some rust, then paint it when I removed the r/r for relocation. I painted the battery box bottom exterior with high heat white (or maybe silver ?) colored paint, with the idea that it will reflect some heat from the goats belly away from the battery, and prolong its life. That may be wishful thinking on my part, but I already had the paint and it didn`t cost me any more time or money to do it that way.

I personally do not plan on removing the goats belly, as I want the low end torque more than top end HP and speed. I like the looks of the stock exhaust ok, and it is loud enough to suit me, though I would like a deeper sounding tone. A higher reving VN750 cc engine is never going to rumble like a Harley though.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 01-16-2011 at 02:55 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 07:41 AM
DelmarvaBiker

Send a message via Yahoo to DelmarvaBiker
I also do not like the the idea of hanging the R/R out by the rear wheel. I have made a block of plate out of sheet metal and siliconed it over the hole where the goats belly is to minimize the heat rising up. My next plan is to bybass and remove the reserve lighting unit that is bolted to the right side of the batery box. Then the R/R can be relocated to that location. I am going to fabricate a plate, with a CPU fan mounted to it, and mount it on stand offs over the R/R and sitting behind the right side cover to blow a constant stream of air over the R/R. The fans I checked out draw less than .25 amps of current and should flow an good amount of air. I will post photos of the finished project when complete.

2003 VN750
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
2002 vn 750

Sounds like a great idea. I would like to see the picts when you are done with the job. Would the fan be a constant on type fan or a temp controled fan?

To OlHossCanada, I am from Michigan (I will ad to my profile). So you can guess I have a few months before I can ride, (snow and all). I would like to have most of the mods done before spring hits so I can ride right away.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 AM
DelmarvaBiker

Send a message via Yahoo to DelmarvaBiker
The fan would be constant on just like in a computer.

2003 VN750
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vila View Post
I like the idea of the R/R being up front by the radiator. Wonder how difficult it will be to lengthen the wires.
Just make sure you have your wire stretcher on you. It's an electrician's best friend.

I had a rookie working out of my truck back when I was an electrician. I had him looking in the back for my "wire stretcher" for a solid half hour. Gotta love noobies.

Welcome to the site Vila, lots of good info and good folks too! Congrats on the bike...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement