Gas Cap Lock Removal - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Unk

Gas Cap Lock Removal

Just checking to see if there is some trick to removing the lock cylinder on the gas cap. I purchased a new ignition and all that comes with it. By way of background - the gas cap lock is pretty buggered up. While you could open it with the key it isn't necessary, you could do the same with a screwdriver or anything small enough to fit in the slot and twist. I thinking the smooth removal is dependent on a working lock cylinder. When you insert the key there is no feel of friction on the key's edges and with the key out you can see easily into the cylinder, even the little "door" doesn't close in the key slot. I have the cap completely apart and down to the component that kind of looks like a circuit board - you can see the channels for venting, and the cylinder of course. Before I took a drill to the lock I thought I'd ask if anyone has any insight.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
I'm not sure if it is the same setup as our helmet locks but I would think it would be seein its the same key that works them both but I have not gotten into my tank lock yet. but I do have a full write up with pics in my signature for the helmet locks and rekeying them. hope it helps you!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Unk

Thanks for the great info. I can see that coming in handy in the future. The lock cylinder is toast though. There's nothing in there to rake although I try the technique you outlined anyway - just in case. I may have to patiently try to drill it out or spring for another gas cap.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 02:21 AM

Yeah, a couple of great ideas here but I'd just suggest paying a locksmith the twenty bucks or so to work it open for you.You can contact Lakezurich locksmith,they are best locksmiths in the area Slipping with a drill bit and wrecking the paint on your tank could cost a few hundred to repaint, save yourself the money and take it to them.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 04:22 AM

Garage
You can't initially see the cylinder itself... there's a little cap (with a nub with a bushing that pull the latch when the cylinder turns). That whole cap needs to come off. Pull off the bushing, then use the nub to pull the cap straight out of it's hole.

It's really hard to see in wib's pictures, but there is a retaining clip holding the cylinder into the housing. It's the '1/4 inch gold pin' he mentions. In the gas cap there appears to be a rubber gasket surrounding the rear of the cylinder, obscuring that pin completely, so that needs to be bypassed. Get the smallest screwdriver you have (like eyeglasses screwdriver tiny) and slide it between the rubber gasket and the lock housing (the drilled hole) on the side towards the middle of the gas-cap (i.e. towards the overflow/pressure release valve). Once you bottom out, push towards the center of the lock cylinder, pushing the clip into the cylinder. With the clip pushed in, the cylinder can be pushed out of the housing, towards the 'key' side of the lock (up, if the gas-cap were installed and closed). Maybe it would be easier to try to remove the rubber gasket? Not sure how fragile it is. I'm really good at mangling things, so I haven't actually tried either method.

When you say 'before I took a drill to the lock', that makes me shudder. When people talk about drilling out a lock, they don't mean drill out the whole cylinder. You'll screw up the housing and will never get a replacement cylinder to work right. Drilling out a lock just removes the pins so the lock can turn as if there were a key in it, which yours already does. Anyway, I'm hoping that's not what you were planning to do...

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement