Fun question - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Fun question

My friends are having their first child in February and posed an interesting question: How old should a child be before they can hop on the back of your bike?

My 2 cents: when they are old enough to actually listen to instructions and have scuffed their knees outside a few times already.

We concluded that being able to understand the concept of riding a bicycle without training wheels would probably be best though, so 5-6 years old.

Just a thought experiment. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 05:55 PM

I think the child should be tall enough so the feet reach the pegs. They should also have COMPLETE properly sized gear and full face helmet.

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Sorry, but other than a put-put around a parking lot or down an empty residental street...at real low speed...a "child" as a passenger is a no no to me.

So my anwer is 17.

My thinking here is no one should ride on a motorcycle unless they are old enough to make legal decisons about their own life. Parents consent does not count... many parents are idiots.

If you are in an accident and kill or injure a child, how messed up is that to live with?

On the other hand ...teaching a kid (8-10 year old) to ride on a kid sized (off road) bike is fine.

But taking one for a ride in traffic, with all the a-holes we constantly bitch about here borders on criminal in my book.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

My response probably falls into the do-as-I-say, not-as-I-do (did) catergory.

For starters, as a new inexperienced bike rider I should not have carried ANY pillon passengers until I had accumulated several thousand miles experience over the first year. The fact that no passengers were injured while riding with me during my short riding career is as much due to good luck as skill.

Four of my grandchildren rode with me during the short 6 week period between buying my bike and the accident (w/o a passenger) which has sidelined me for the past 2 1/2 years. At the time they were ages 11, 9, 7 and 5. The older 3 were fine for short trips around the neighborhood or across town a few miles, and even switching off with each other from the van, every 30 miles on a 100 mile trip to visit cousins. The youngest, a 5 year old girl, was ok for a mile or two at slow speed around the neighborhood. However on her turn at the end of our little road trip, I could feel her grip slip as she fell asleep after less than 5 minutes, and I had to carefully stop and put her back in the van following me with mom, grandma and the other kids.

We decided that she had fallen asleep so quickly because she was so short and had her head turned to the side and could only see the grass in the ditch rushing by. She had been excited for her turn to ride, but I think she was kind of hypnotized by the blur, not being able to see over my shoulder to the front.

I also carried 4 adult passengers on the Vulcan, and was overloaded with every one. Not smart, and I won`t do it again.

So my thoughts now are that 10 or 11 years old is probably as young as I will carry them on a longer or higher speed ride. If I lived where there was more high speed traffic, and multi-lane superslabs I would tend to agree with KM and raise my comfort level to 16 or 17 year old passengers.

Maybe a 5 or 6 year old is ok for short 5 minute trips close to home.

What`s the answer? If you want to take small kids on a bike,- get a sidecar rig. JM2CW.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 01-07-2011 at 10:47 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 01:13 AM

Garage
My daughter has been riding with me for the past 2 years. She is 10 now and doesn't miss a chance to ride with me when I offer. It doesn't amount to much more than taking her to school which is about a 1-1/2 mile ride tops and the speed doesn't exceed 35mph. Now I'm the "cool dad" when I pick her up from school on the bike and she tells me the other kids are jealous of her. Occasionally I'll take her a little further for ice cream. Always a full face helmet, jacket, jeans and sneakers. I had to teach her about leaning with me when turning and not to move around because it could upset the balance on the bike. Now when she's with me I hardly notice I have a passenger. She's about 65 lbs now.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 02:02 AM
Old Truck Junkie

Are you asking from a legal stand point or commom sense stand point??
Legal I know of no age limit.
Common sense I would have to say that they should be old enough to follow instruction as to hold on tight.

I am not saying do as I do, but once I carried two of my nethews on my kz400. The little one in front of me ( maybe 2 yrs old) and the one behind was older (about 7 yrs old). No one fell off all is good. I would not do it again.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the replies guys!

I am just generally curious because, while there is no law, there probably is a threshold determined by society if you ask enough questions.

The funny thing is the only reason this was brought up was because I mentioned to them a crazy dream I had- I was outside helping my friend attach a car seat to the rear luggage rack of his bike. I woke up and said "Man, that was a stupid idea."
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
Thanks a lot for the replies guys!

I am just generally curious because, while there is no law,."
Actually there might be, but it varies from state to state. Texas the minimun age for a passenger is 5 yrs. In Arkansas, it is 8 yrs old. Oregon has no limit.

Most other states I checked do in fact have no minimum age law, but then you have to also read how the states child restraint law is written. If you have a 2 year old on the bike you could get a ticket.(for not having them in a DOT approved seat)

I remember long ago I met a guy with a young 2-3 year old son...he had installed a short set of handbars on the gas tank, and welded up some passenger pegs right under them so his kid could ride in front of him on the bike. (And look like he was controlling the motorcycle...)

Just because something is not "illegal" doe not mean its a smart idea....

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 01:59 PM
1985 VN-700

I have had my girls on at 12 yrs old, though no interstate, and probably still not a good idea. Thinking now after some of the comments, it is a burden I couldnt live with if they were injured or worse. In fact my wife wont ride with me just for the sake of the children. Maybe when they have grown up and are on their own she says.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
[QUOTE=
The funny thing is the only reason this was brought up was because I mentioned to them a crazy dream I had- I was outside helping my friend attach a car seat to the rear luggage rack of his bike. I woke up and said "Man, that was a stupid idea."[/QUOTE]

thats the greatest thing I heard all day!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
Sponsored Links
Advertisement