[Help] I think my Vulcan 750 come with a factory problem. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

[Help] I think my Vulcan 750 come with a factory problem.

Hey sup guys I'm new here and i just bought this Vulcan 750, but unfortunately i think it cames with some kind of factory problem, i already sent her to five different mechanic's , but none of then could find the problem.

Here is what happens > I start the bike , after 30 minutes it heats and start to failure.

Can you guys give me any idea about what to check ? Like give me a list of possible things that can be. I'm almost 100% sure its some eletrical issue but i'm not sure.

Please guys any help it's appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyuudan View Post
Hey sup guys I'm new here and i just bought this Vulcan 750, but unfortunately i think it cames with some kind of factory problem, i already sent her to five different mechanic's , but none of then could find the problem.

Here is what happens > I start the bike , after 30 minutes it heats and start to failure.
Was the bike new? Did you buy it from someone that actually rode the bike? Cause if it ran fine until you got it, it likely is not a "Factory" problem.

So what you are saying is, the bike runs, but when you go for a ride, it overheats? , misfires then finally dies.??

First off...is the bike charging the battery? Do you need to charge it to get it to run again?

Does the bike act like it is running out of gas before it dies? I'd fill the tank with fresh gas, check the coolant, make sure the bike is in fact charging the battery, then go over every electrical connection, cleaning them and making sure they are all tight. This includes checking the sidestand and clutch lever switches, the kill switch, the ground wires and anything that has a wire going to it.

If the bike runs OK...for that 30 minutes,(and you riding it, not having it sit running) but then dies ....it might be water in the tank, a loose wire, a messed up cooling system (does the bike over heat? there is a temp gauge..)

Do all the electrics work after the bike dies? (Turnsignals, horn)

When it cools off, can you start it up again?

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 02:24 AM
Old Truck Junkie

Your gas cap vent may be stopped up.

02 honda sabre 1100

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Was the bike new? Did you buy it from someone that actually rode the bike? Cause if it ran fine until you got it, it likely is not a "Factory" problem.

So what you are saying is, the bike runs, but when you go for a ride, it overheats? , misfires then finally dies.??

First off...is the bike charging the battery? Do you need to charge it to get it to run again?

Does the bike act like it is running out of gas before it dies? I'd fill the tank with fresh gas, check the coolant, make sure the bike is in fact charging the battery, then go over every electrical connection, cleaning them and making sure they are all tight. This includes checking the sidestand and clutch lever switches, the kill switch, the ground wires and anything that has a wire going to it.

If the bike runs OK...for that 30 minutes,(and you riding it, not having it sit running) but then dies ....it might be water in the tank, a loose wire, a messed up cooling system (does the bike over heat? there is a temp gauge..)

Do all the electrics work after the bike dies? (Turnsignals, horn)

When it cools off, can you start it up again?

KM
OBS > The bike don't need to be ride to start misfire, if i just turn it on and wait there with no one riding its misfire after 30 mins , but the bike DONT die.

1st - I'm the bike 4th owner they all had the same problem , but i can't guarantee its factory problem , i'm justing assuming it is.
2nd - No, the bike after some time turned on misfires but don't die she just keep misfire.
3rd - Yep , battery is charging.
4th - No, charge the battery to run again is not needed.
5th - After the bike start misfire if i turn it off , I need to wait she cool's off to turn it on again WITHOUT misfire.
6th - No , bike don't OVERHEAT , just after heats start to misfire.

For now , Thank you , i will check electrical connection if its all tight. I let you guys know.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
Your gas cap vent may be stopped up.
I'l already check , its not stopped up, but thank you.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 11:42 AM

Had a similar problem. Didn't happen as often as yours. I changed the ignition switch, problem gone.

When I opened the old switch the contacts were burned black. Probably could of gotten away with cleaning it but the new switch from Kawasaki gave me a lot more confidence.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Hmmm, most things I can think of have been covered, except maybe one to check last, the carb. vent to the right filter, make sure it is not pushed against the back side and blocked off, then cut it on a 45* angle to insure it won't be blocked off when you put it back in...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Daily rider

Garage
The battery is a big issue. I had lots of problems with mine until I finally broke down and bought a new AGM battery. Problem solved (providing you keep that one charged).

2017 Indian Roadmaster (current ride)
2003 VN1600A (Traded August 2017 to #1 son for a Bushmaster AR)
2001 VN750 bought 4/19/08 w/2309 miles(Sold April 2010 with just over 12,000 miles)
VROC #33035
__________________________________________________ ________________
Just when I thought I was winning the rat race, somebody moved the finish line!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyuudan View Post
OBS > The bike don't need to be ride to start misfire, if i just turn it on and wait there with no one riding its misfire after 30 mins , but the bike DONT die.

1st - I'm the bike 4th owner they all had the same problem , but i can't guarantee its factory problem , i'm justing assuming it is.
2nd - No, the bike after some time turned on misfires but don't die she just keep misfire.
3rd - Yep , battery is charging.
4th - No, charge the battery to run again is not needed.
5th - After the bike start misfire if i turn it off , I need to wait she cool's off to turn it on again WITHOUT misfire.
6th - No , bike don't OVERHEAT , just after heats start to misfire.

For now , Thank you , i will check electrical connection if its all tight. I let you guys know.
#1--What year is the bike, and how many miles are on the odometer?

#2 and #5-- By misfire do you mean the spark plugs do not fire in one cylinder?

If so, you could have one faulty coil that doesn`t work when it gets warm, but is ok when cold. The specs in the Clymer manual say with the coil warmed to at least 68*F the resistance between the primary circuit terminals should be 1.8-2.2 ohms. The resistance in the secondary circuit between the spark plug wires should be 19k-29k ohms.

Check the coils resistance both cold and warmed up.

(On the off chance that what you call a misfire means popping in the exhaust, which usually occurs when decelerating, your fuel/air adjustment from the factory is too lean and the cover plugs need to be removed and the screws turned out farther.)

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 12-09-2010 at 01:49 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 04:52 PM

Sell it to the 5th owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement