Storage Tire Pressure - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Storage Tire Pressure

Hey all,

Quick question for ya. So I put the bike up for storage (I'm nearly embarrassed to say but it had to be done) and I followed all the advice I was given: thorough cleaning, oil change, WD40 the bike, run out the gas in the carbs, SeaFoam etc... So, I threw the bike cover on and took the train home from the garage I was keeping her in.

Then, I realized I'd forgotten to take 10PSI out of the tires, and the bike is not on its center stand. In short: do I need to travel back out to the garage (2 hour trip by train) to put the bike on its center stand and let some air out of the tires? Or, will the bike be fine parked with the kickstand with the tires at the Clymer's recommended tire PSI? The bike will be stored till end of March, weather permitting. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks all!

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeWheel View Post
Hey all,

Quick question for ya. So I put the bike up for storage (I'm nearly embarrassed to say but it had to be done) and I followed all the advice I was given: thorough cleaning, oil change, WD40 the bike, run out the gas in the carbs, SeaFoam etc... So, I threw the bike cover on and took the train home from the garage I was keeping her in.

Then, I realized I'd forgotten to take 10PSI out of the tires, and the bike is not on its center stand. In short: do I need to travel back out to the garage (2 hour trip by train) to put the bike on its center stand and let some air out of the tires? Or, will the bike be fine parked with the kickstand with the tires at the Clymer's recommended tire PSI? The bike will be stored till end of March, weather permitting. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks all!
John
Well if it was me I wouldn't make a special trip, shucks most bikes don't even have a center stand (mine dosen't, but I wish it did), and some way they survive the winter months...lol...
As for dropping the air pressure 10 psi, I think the cold weather will take care of that, especially since it is on the side stand with a bit more weight on the tires...
That being said, if I happened to be in the area for some other reason, I might put'er on the center stand just to take some weight off the tires...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I think I read somewhere that the tires should be sitting on wood, not cement, when stored for more than a month or so. Mine aren`t, but has anyone else heard of this?

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
I think I read somewhere that the tires should be sitting on wood, not cement, when stored for more than a month or so. Mine aren`t, but has anyone else heard of this?
Yes. It is a good idea to to use the centerstand...if only to get the tires off the ground. The rear is off the ground with the centerstand, and it has been reccomended to put a thick 2 inch stack of newspapers under the front tire, or to use a couple of blocks to raise it up off the floor (not so much that the rear touches down)

I have never heard of letting air out of a tire for storage...actually just the opposite, to fill the tire to max pressure.( 40+ psi )
(This of course if not in a heated enviroment for the winter)

I would also make sure there is a whole bunch of Seafoam in the carbs and tank, that the tank is full, and I would use a soft cotton sheet and not a plastic tarp to cover it.

There are several threads on "winterizing" that should help, so I would in the next few weeks take a trip back out to make sure the bike is stored properly if it is going to be 3-4 months.

What did you do with the battery?

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 02:44 AM
Daily rider

Garage
In the manual for my VN1600, it says to store the bike with the tires on wood, and to lower the tire pressure. I think I lowered the pressure on my wife's bike about 5 psi. The reason for keeping the tires off the cement is that cement sucks the moisture out of anything that sits on it. The tires will dry rot faster otherwise.

2017 Indian Roadmaster (current ride)
2003 VN1600A (Traded August 2017 to #1 son for a Bushmaster AR)
2001 VN750 bought 4/19/08 w/2309 miles(Sold April 2010 with just over 12,000 miles)
VROC #33035
__________________________________________________ ________________
Just when I thought I was winning the rat race, somebody moved the finish line!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmnet View Post
In the manual for my VN1600, it says to store the bike with the tires on wood, and to lower the tire pressure. .

I'd still like to know what the logic is behind lowering the tire pressure...for cold weather storage.

Really , even if the bike were locked in a shed where the temps rose rather than fell, an increase in ambient tempature to even 130 degrees would not cause any significant rise in tire pressure.

If anything, it would almost make sence to me for you to let ALL the air out of a tire... so still not sure what letting out 5-6 psi is going to accomplish.

???????

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Member? ... check.

Garage
My Tire Storage $0.02

Tires on bikes stored out-of-doors, should be protected by opaque covers to prevent damage from sunlight.

Storage area should be level, well drained. Care should be taken to avoid prolonged contact with petroleum based substances: oils, fuels and asphalt. If on concrete, wood should be placed under the tires.

Bike should be raised on center stand, so weight is removed from the tires. (keep from developing flat spots)
If no center stand, tire pressure should be increased 10~25% from normal inflation to keep tire roundness. Underinflation makes no sense to me.

If not on the center stand, the bike should be moved once and a while to prevent flat spotting and ozone cracking at the tire sidewall flex point. Flat spots usually disappear when the tires warm-up, after a 25+ mile drive. Flat spotting, which occurs on vehicles not moved for six or more months may not disappear.

Do not store the bike close to electric motors and such. They produce ozone which will deteriorate the rubber.

~~C8> Ratt
Next: LED's
Will Do: Horns, Shave(maybe)

Last edited by ZCraggRatt; 12-04-2010 at 01:02 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Cool, thanks for the info, and I'm glad to hear that there isn't such an urgency.

KM: battery's hooked to a tender nearby.

In the next few weeks I'll make it out there and put up the center-stand, drop a piece of wood under the tires, and not bother with the tire pressure.

Thanks so much, as usual.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Hey, one other thing, you did check the anti-freeze/coolant didn't you...???
That for sure should be up to snuff... I just happened to think of it, and checked that it was not mentioned before, my excuse is, mine's air cooled, not raggin as I prefer water cooled......
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

I checked the anti freeze level about a month or so before I put it into storage. I mean, there was in fact antifreeze, perhaps a little low of a level, but bike was running fine so I haven't given it a second thought. Also, no where can I remember reading about anti-freeze checks in putting a bike up for the winter:

Why is it important, and what kind of anti-freeze do you use/think is best?

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement