Jim Konst Needs Our Prayers. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Giggity!

Garage
Jim Konst Needs Our Prayers.

Hi all. I'm sorry to say Jim was in an accident recently. Roughly one month ago. His son stopped by today to share the news with me. He has recently become aware enough that he wanted all to know what happened. The following is a write up from his son who I think says it all. I'm just a messenger here.

on the 19th of October, my dad was involved in a motorcycle accident. He was headed to work around 9:20 PM on a back road. He came around a curve and saw brake lights. Just after the curve is a road that dead ends onto the road he was on... someone was turning left and waiting for oncoming traffic to get by them. Locked up the rear tire (I'll assume he was on the front brake too), kept it straight and upright, but realized he wasn't going to stop in time, so he swerved to the right to keep from rearending the car in front of him. As soon as he swerved, he laid the bike down, again, I assume he did it intentionally. The bike didn't land on his leg (that's why I assume he pushed it down) he slid a little ways off the side of the road, keeping on his back and on his side and keeping his head up and tucked. He ended up slamming into a street sign pole back/side first. I took his gear home, and his brand new helmet isn't even dirty. No sctaches, no marks, nothing. He did everything right when he laid it down and controlled the accident the best he could. (upon me checking out the scene of the accident, and looking at the police report, i filled in almost all the blanks in what happened, and have to admit, I am rather proud of him on how it all went down) Externally, he only has mild road rash. I'm talking no stitches at all. Had it not been for the pole, he woulda just been sore.
They took him to a local hospital that is known for a great trama ward (Grant Medical in down town Columbus for the locals). They induced him into a coma within an hr. He arived talking fairly clear headed, but a little confused. Being that this hospital is a good 20 miles from the accident (again, for the locals, this was in Grove City towards Orient where he wrecked) we were scared to death.
At first, just major internal bleeding and suspected kidney damage, but after 'plugging the leak' and waiting for improvment, his blood pressure was still way too low indicating more internal bleeding.
Got him ready for exploritory surgury and went in to discover some major bleeding they were unable to detect before. Over then next few days, his spleen, kidney, a lobe of his liver (one fifth of the liver) and a section of his colin all came out. He also did some back damage in the impact.
After about 2 weeks in a coma and constant dialysis, they woke him up. The info i got from my mom and sisters sounded like he just woke up from a nap and everything was fine. I kinda went in the hospital with rose colored glasses and got a huge b!tch slap of reality when I got there. He couldn't comunicate with the one inch or so corigated tube in his throat. He was getting agrivated not being able to talk, and too weak to write.
The next day, the tube came out. he was able to whisper loudly. He seemed ok, talking about things that sounded well thought out, but a little crazy thrown in.
Then, the next visit seemed horrible. He was remembering names from 20 years ago and talking like he just saw them yesterday. Some of these people have been dead for years. Then the confusion and paranoia sets in. He says things about "the people trying to kill him", and how "his leaders have been turned evil" and his sister being told to kill him with a pickle gun... insane insanity.
It felt like a couple steps back, and I was worried about brain damage or something. Turns out, his body is just not filtering out the meds that they gave him to put him in the coma.
So now at least we can have some fun with the paranoia. I've been told the crazy talk has subsided, I went this morning to see him but he was sleeping.

His recovery will be long and painfull, but his prognosis is good. They said it'll be a year before they can do a skin graft to close the hole in his belly where they did all the work from, so it's gonna be a while.

In his moments of lucid talk, he has said he realizes he will be medicly retired (prision guard, loss of a spleen and/or kidney pretty much kills the chances of going back to work), he has said he knows he won't be able to be a pilot anymore and will have to sell the plane, he knows he'll be in too much pain to ride a bike, probably for the rest of his life... the only thing he hasn't admited to is not being able to sail. I suspect he'll be in too much pain for the rest of his life to sail on his own now too, but we'll let him figure that out.

I know I am rambling, and kinda venting a tad... I guess all in all, if you are a person with religulous roots, please say a prayer for My dad (Jim) If your father is alive, and local, go give him a hug and tell him you love him. You can close the blindes if it makes you feel better, but go do it. If your old man is not local, call him and tell him you love him. You never know when something may take the ability to say that to him away from you, possibly forever. I told my dad I love him today, for the first time in many many years, and he said "I love you back" and it put a lump in my throat.
If your father is no longer with us, then take a moment to remember him, or even visit.
Every day is father's day.

I refuse to post a photo of him in the hospital, so instead, this is a photo of him from a few months ago visiting his grandson. That's my mom with him.

Link to origional Post. Pics here.

See You Soon Jim!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 07:18 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

So sorry to hear of Jims accident. He certainly is in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.
God Speed Jim.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Thats sad, sorry to hear about your Jim's accident, but I am glad to hear that he survived and will heal with time. ... Prayers & the best of luck to your Dad for a full & speedy recovery. ...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to KIMMERLING
I am deeply sorry for your family's horrible experience. I am praying for you and your dad. If there is anything I can do, please email me or something.

2011 Suzuki VSTROM DL650 with ABS Purchased Jan 28 now with 39,000miles WRECKED JAN 12 ,2013
"To strive, to seek, to find, not to yield."
05 Vulcan 750 26,050miles *Traded in*
Ventura guards
MadStadt mount
Givi windshield/Heated grips
Backoff
Riderbeads
Givi 52 topcase
Pat Walsh Crash bars skid plate
OEM centerstand
Headlight modulator
Battery tender
Aquarium thermometer with forward probe mount
Admore LED Lighting/Givi E36N panniers
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
I really hate to hear this ,Jim was a from what I could tell ,a good guy,definitely will be praying on his behalf,Denny

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

very sad! that really sucks!
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Do we have a hospital name/address?
Grant Medical hospital in Columbus...that it?

Hoping for a quick recovery...as for not riding again, never say never.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 11-15-2010 at 08:31 PM.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 09:17 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Sorry to hear of Jim`s accident and injuries. Jim and his family will be in my prayers. This group is truly like a family in their concern for one another.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 11:08 PM

Jim,
Sorry to hear about your accident. Praying for you and your family,
wishing you a full and speedy recovery.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 11:14 PM

[QUOTE=Knifemaker;155704]Do we have a hospital name/address?
Grant Medical hospital in Columbus...that it?

Grant Medical Center
111 S. Grant Ave.
Columbus, Ohio
43215-1639
PH.#614-566-9310
Sponsored Links
Advertisement