Couple newbie questions - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Couple newbie questions

A couple newbie questions..

1) I see that Rotella 15w40 is often preferred but I think Kawki recommends 10w40. Would the Rotella but too thick when cold? We don't really have a winter here in California.

2) I see here that its recommended to change the diff fluid every other oil change. However, I didn't see any recommendations on specs for the fluids (or just go with the Kawki spec)?

3) I see here that lubing the spline is suggested when changing the diff fluid but I don't see any guidance on how to do that.

Thanks!
-Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 11:00 PM

I used Rotella 80w90 heavy duty gear oil in my final drive. Summers here are 120+ degrees though. You may be able to do with something a little bit thinner, but I wouldn't see anything wrong with using the same.

For engine oil, I don't think it would make that much difference in California going to a 15w40 instead of a 10w40.

I'm sure there is a thread on spline lube...

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1165

I didn't read through it much (I got a headache right now) but I think that's what you're looking for.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 01:22 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Here is the spline lube with pictures courtesy of fergy. Use a high moly grease such as Honda Moly 60 and grease every 10,000 miles.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 10:25 AM

Spline lube procedure is below in my signature.

I use the Rotella 5w40 in the winter down here in TX and put 15w50 in there in summer. It's the high number in multi-vis oil you need to worry about. It won't get cold enough for you to even think about the lower number which only kicks in when it is really, really cold. In fact, it performs like a thinner oil in really cold temps to allow your oil pump to move it when the engine is cold and needs it most on cold starts.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

If memory serves me right the first figure as 5w in 5w-40 means that it is equal to 5 weight at 32* (freezing) and the latter 40 means that it is equal to 40 weight at 212* (boiling)...
Since you say you don't have a winter so to speak where you live I don't think you need the 5w, probably the 15w-40 Rotella, or some other brand 10-15w-40 or even a 15-20w-50 if you have a lot of miles or wear on the engine, or really, really hot weather...
But NO to the energy conserving oils, because your clutch runs in your engine oil...
But mostly go with what others say, as there are many who have more experience with the vn750 than I, those are just my thoughts on the oils & the vn750...
Oh, and one other thing, I don't like Fram oil filters either...lol... (Boy did I ask for it...???)
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 01:36 PM

Yeah, the first number is the cold number, which doesn't come into play for most of us. So really you can ignore the first. I run the 5w40 because that's what is available in Rotella sythetic, focusing on the 40, not the 5. I run the 50 in summer cause it is what Mobil One makes in a synthetic that's not energy conserving, again ignoring the first number...

The lower the first number in a multi-viscosity oil, means the oil passed a flow test at a lower temperature. If you lived and were able to ride during winter in Canada, this lower number might be important to you, but most bikes get mothballed where it gets this cold, so the lower or first number in multi-vis oil is basically ignored by the rest of us, especially those of us who have mild enough winters to keep riding throughout.

Automakers don't recommend you run the Rotella (diesel oil) in your cars because it "may interfere with the emission controls mandated by the EPA". Huh. Why would the EPA mandate the use of certain oil with certain additives? Could they and the automakers actually be in each others pockets? If you do your research on "energy conserving" oil, what you will find is that it provides less protection to your engine, which is what they want, but don't want the consumer to know. Imagine for a moment why the automakers wouldn't want you to use oil that can protect your engine better?
Of course, this is a whole other discussion... and I'm getting off subject. Sorry!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement