Dumb Q: Using center stand - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

No matter who you are, big or small, keep in mind you can permanently injure yourself by jerking on the bike if you aren't letting the leverage work for you. My wife just had surgery on her back earlier this year for a ruptured disk caused by bending down to pick up the dog bowls one morning when her back was tight!

Practice this with a buddy standing at the rear of the bike holding onto the luggage rack or the frame under the back of the seat, helping lift the bike, and do it enough times where you figure out how to make the leverage work for you. Once you figure it out it will be pretty easy and you won't be using the gorilla method! I recommend you stretch some before you do it. Remember, hind sight is 20-20! Lots of back injuries are caused by the most ignorant things you can dream of... If you've already got a bad back, just ask someone to help you when you need it on the centerstand.

My best friend just came back from a 5000 mile trip on his KLR, over through the Smokies, up through Canada and back, stopping in Palo Duro Canyon for a day. A low water crossing is on the way into the park, one road in and out. A gal had spilled her sport bike coming out the day he left, and when she went down she got a few bruises, but she tried to pick up her bike by herself, in the water, on the slimy pavement and hurt her back trying. An ambulance was on the way to pick her up! That is a lesson you are stuck with for life... She could have waited for someone to help her but her pride got her in a "hurry before someone sees what she did" mode.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 01:32 PM

Just did this yesterday and it takes a little figuring out. Kind of like riding a bike for the first time. Once you get it, it's pretty easy. And oh yes, did the back tweak a couple weeks ago. It just takes a little twist the wrong way so bend the knees and not the back!

1986 VN 750
20,000 miles
MF Battery
Replaced Stock Turn signals
Starter Clutch
NGK plugs
MT66 Pirelli's
Seafoam
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

I'll try this tonight. I only have 1 year before hitting 40 so I need to start thinking about things like mortality, heath, etc.

-Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy View Post
No matter who you are, big or small, keep in mind you can permanently injure yourself by jerking on the bike if you aren't letting the leverage work for you. My wife just had surgery on her back earlier this year for a ruptured disk caused by bending down to pick up the dog bowls one morning when her back was tight!

Practice this with a buddy standing at the rear of the bike holding onto the luggage rack or the frame under the back of the seat, helping lift the bike, and do it enough times where you figure out how to make the leverage work for you. Once you figure it out it will be pretty easy and you won't be using the gorilla method! I recommend you stretch some before you do it. Remember, hind sight is 20-20! Lots of back injuries are caused by the most ignorant things you can dream of... If you've already got a bad back, just ask someone to help you when you need it on the centerstand.

My best friend just came back from a 5000 mile trip on his KLR, over through the Smokies, up through Canada and back, stopping in Palo Duro Canyon for a day. A low water crossing is on the way into the park, one road in and out. A gal had spilled her sport bike coming out the day he left, and when she went down she got a few bruises, but she tried to pick up her bike by herself, in the water, on the slimy pavement and hurt her back trying. An ambulance was on the way to pick her up! That is a lesson you are stuck with for life... She could have waited for someone to help her but her pride got her in a "hurry before someone sees what she did" mode.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Tried it last night. It was actually pretty east. I didn't bother with the right hand; just pushed down on the stand and slightly pulled back in the left handle with the left. It really is the downward pressure on the stand the poops it up. Although it is a bit more hassle because you have to dismount first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
I'll try this tonight. I only have 1 year before hitting 40 so I need to start thinking about things like mortality, heath, etc.

-Robert
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Love My Baby

The main "trick" to getting the bike up on the center stand easily is to make certain that BOTH legs of the center stand are firmly on the ground and front wheel is pointing exactly straight. Normally we tend to want the bike to lean ever so slightly toward us because we're unconsciously afraid the bike will tilt away from us otherwise. But that makes it MUCH harder to get the bike up properly. When both center stand legs are firmly on the ground, it feels like the bike is leaning slightly away from you, but it is not. TRUST the center stand. Wiggle the bike until you feel both center stand legs firmly on the ground. Then push down with your foot on the center stand leg while pulling up from under the passenger part of the seat and holding the handlebar straight. You will be surprised just how incredibly easy it is. If it's not very easy, it's not because you're not strong enough or don't weigh enough, you're just doing something wrong.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

I found that my overweightness actually helps a lot with getting the bike up. I've found that if I stand to the side of the bike (not on the bike) and just put my weight firmly on the center stand peddle the bike pops right up. That's what 240lbs will do for you.

-Robert
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 11:47 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
and no thing as a dumb question!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
Sponsored Links
Advertisement