Addtional forward lights - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Addtional forward lights

I was thinking about getting a couple axillary headlights that mount on either side of the headlight to increase visibility. I like the larger style (appear to be about 3" round). Are there recommended lights for this? Do I need to worry about available power (i.e. do I need to limit myself lower power LED, etc?)

-Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 05:39 PM

You can use an amperage relay switch direct from the battery to reduce the draw of power and strain on the stator and r/r. Find out how many watts or amps they use and get a relay that is higher then what the lights draw.

01' VN750
Jardine cross over exaust
Kyriakin grips and foot pegs
Modified seat and backrest
Windshield
Luggage rack
Crash bar with Kyriakin pegs and extensions
Kumho 758 165/80-15 CT rear Dunlop 404 110/90-19 front
Coastered and air/fuel screws at 2.5 turns
Spline lube

93' VN750 getting TLC
Decals and mirrors
Coastered and air/fuel screws at 2.5 turns
ACCTs to MCCTs
Degoated with Harley mufflers
Duro 110-90-19 front 150-90-15 rear
Pick-up coils at .020
Spline lube
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Old Fart

Garage
If you are not running any other electrical accessories, you can use up to
70w of power.

I myself installed a set of Halogen driving lights..they came with 55w bulbs (a total of 110w) so I replaced the bulbs with 20w bulbs (for a total of 40w)
Photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifema...7602271287644/

You can find the lights at Wal-mart now , they are made by Optronic. They also sell the M16 halogen 20w bulbs , but I found mine at Lowes.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 09:10 AM

Hey Robert,

A lot of people have, like KM, gotten standard driving lights and swapped out bulbs - you can even swap out LED MR16 bulbs if you wanted to reduce the draw on your bike.

A good solution for visibility is to upgrade the headlight to a silverstar or a phillips, add a LED tail light from clear alternatives (to reduce the draw), and add two low power lights to the front for visibility.

A lot of people subscribe to the "triangle of light" idea - a headlight and two lower, wider lights (fork mounted) will let oncoming drivers "see" the distance of the bike better than if they were just looking at a single point of white light.

I'm spending most of my time on a GSX650F nowadays and I have mounted two of the 3W guys from here: http://www.plasmaled.com/high_power_module.htm on the forks. Being kinda cheep I clamped them on with electrical hangers - $3 at lowes?

I have no affiliation with the sellers - just wanted to say I am completely satisfied. The lights are visible in sunlight and *very* visible in dim/dark conditions. They add some fill to the roadway as well, but dont' give you much beyond, say 20 feet in front of the bike. So they're actually very helpful for slow riding on broken surfaces (parking lots/driveways) but won't give you useful light for driving/braking at speed.

The draw is minimal and they're 100 waterproof.

Thought I'd list 'em as an option. The walmart light route is probably $20 for the lights, and $10? for the replacement bulbs.

Scheherazade
'86 VN750
MF Battery, Iridium Plugs, RR relocated, Voltmeter, 170/80/15 Kenda Kruz rear tire, DIY Samsonite hard bags, DIY shaved seat with Beaded seat pad ('cause that's how I roll) and the dreaded STATOR CHANGE.

Shining Black Bess '86 VN750, retired for parts after a fried stator and being knocked (kee-runch) in her parking spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement