" Click-Click " noise at cold start only ? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Angry " Click-Click " noise at cold start only ?

My 2006 VN 750 has 24,000 miles on it. It has run perfect all this time, with all recommended maintenence performed. Lately at a cold start I hear a " Click- Click" noise coming from the front of the engine. This is with bike sitting still on side stand and not moving. After about 30 seconds or so it stops. It does not do it with warm engine after the first initial cold start. Oil level is OK and I always changed oil & filter every 2,000 miles since new. It runs great all day long after that first cold start click- click noise. It is not a very loud click but you can distinctly hear it for about 30 seconds.

I also have that clutch grinder noise with the cold engine, it goes away after engine warms up. I can stand the grinder noise but I hate the " jerky " start it causes.

Anybody out there have these problems ? Please offer advise if you have any idea what is going on with the recent cold start click I am now hearing. never did it before , it just statrted recently at 24,000 miles ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 05:44 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

The clicking is when trying to start it, or while it's running, after it's been started?
Probably the ACCT.
The coffee grinder noise, along with jerky start is kinda normal. Just gotta let the bike run a little longer before taking off.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

The clicking is heard after it is cold stared, for a very short time and then stops. Engine runs fine from start to cruising the rest of the day. I wonder if the automatic cam chain tensioner spring is getting weak ( at 24,000 miles ) and in need of replacement or service.
What do most guys do in this case. Go to the dealer and have them fix it ???

Thanks for for your help.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Hyperbuzzin for your tip. I researched the VN750 website and came across the " Grambo Trick " procedure for unsticking the Cam Chain Tensioner. I found the left side spring to be stuck, I freed it as per directions and the click noise has stopped. The right side was not stuck. I think the left side ( being high up on the cylinder ) does not get as much lubricating oil as does the lower right side spring. I bet most stuck ACCT springs are on the high left side for the reason stated.I think the " Grambo Trick " should be performed every 10,000miles or so and keep things freed up before the springs sticks again. The procedure is easy to do and only takes a very short time. If anybody is intersested, use the search engine on this VN 750 web site and key in " Cam Chain Tensioners " and you will have access to member posts on how to perform the " Grambo Trick ". Thanks again everybody for the help in solving my problem. Try this before going to a dealer and save yourself some money.

Last edited by Blaze Orange; 11-01-2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Mis-spelled word.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 10:16 PM
'03 VN750 "Rosie"

My 03 with 11,000 miles is acting pretty much the same; the clicking goes on for a few minutes when cold then goes away when warm. I want to ask the forum if it's serious or just annoying? I was debating replacing the ACCT springs.

'03 VN750 "Rosie"
Purchased in June 15, 2010
Windshield
Lubed Splines
Lubed and Adjusted Clutch Cable, Throttle Cables.
Relocated Voltage Regulator
Brakes Bled
Luggage Rack
Lazy Rider Bag
Leather Saddle Bags
Legitimate Title!! (finally!) Aug 30, 2010
New AGM Interstate Battery Sept 15, 2012

2008 Hyosung GV250 (sold!)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

To Bstew 7890 . Try the "Grambo Trick" described below first, before going to the trouble of replacing springs. I feel the problem is crancase oil sludge forming around the springs over time and the " Grambo Trick " seems to loosen it up and frees the springs to do their work. When oil sludge is cold it is hard causing spring restriction, when the engine warms up the sludge gets soft and the springs are able to work thru the warmer softer sludge. More frequent oil changes will help reduce oil sludge build up. This is my feeling on the matter, the "Grambo Trick " worked well for me, no more click noise at cold start up. Just type in "Cam Chain Tensioner" in this web sites search engine and get the detail on how to perform the " Grambo Trick ". It is very easy to perform, only took me 20 minutes. Good Luck.

Last edited by Blaze Orange; 11-01-2010 at 11:34 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze Orange View Post
To Bstew 7890 . Try the "Grambo Trick" described below first, before going to the trouble of replacing springs. I feel the problem is crancase oil sludge forming around the springs over time and the " Grambo Trick " seems to loosen it up and frees the springs to do their work. When oil sludge is cold it is hard causing spring restriction, when the engine warms up the sludge gets soft and the springs are able to work thru the warmer softer sludge. More frequent oil changes will help reduce oil sludge build up. This is my feeling on the matter, the "Grambo Trick " worked well for me, no more click noise at cold start up. Just type in "Cam Chain Tensioner" in this web sites search engine and get the detail on how to perform the " Grambo Trick ". It is very easy to perform, only took me 20 minutes. Good Luck.
The grambo trick is a temporary fix as are the new heavier ACCT springs from TOC.I tried both and they both worked for a while.I eventually ended up making manual tensioners out of the stock ACCT's .

There is a thread you can find on here by searching Acct' to MCCT conversion .I think Kanuck69 provided pictures and it costs less than 10 bucks at a hardware for parts,and as Ron Popeil said you "Set it and Forget it", JM2C,Denny

Found the thread here...https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...cct+conversion

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 11-02-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement