Great day - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Great day

Was able to get out today and it was great, not to get to work, just to ride. It was deceiving how cold it would be with the sunshine and all but I am learning. Now I remember reading that someone had "scrapped a foot peg" a while back, I believe it was slim that said "they were doing something wrong" since he has a lowered bike and does not scrape. Well I scrapped the right foot peg today!! well the acorn nut on the bottom anyway. I did not feel that I was into it to far or anything, just taking some twisties and having fun. I also hit a bit of gravel at a descent speed in a corner as well, I felt it slide then grip , really no big deal though. That is one of the things I dreaded most was horror stories of gravel and "one pebble will take you out" that everyone says. I can see it, I guess but you will come across it and have to deal with it and to me it does not seem that bad. Or is it, once you are too comfortable with these things problems start?

K&N filters
MF-AGM Battery
93' VN750 / 13,600mi
Vestal, New York
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 06:47 PM

That was me I dragged a peg while making a right turn. Mainly because the road is so uneven and also because I was just starting learning counter steering and leaning the bike. If the road had been even I wouldn't have dragged it though.

As far as gravel, I haven't run into it, but there's lots of sand here, which acts in a similar way. I slid in sand while entering a street one time and I was able to remember to keep the throttle steady and not brake. It slid a bit then got grip and I went on my way as normal.

I think people that have problems with "one pebble" is because they either brake or don't keep the throttle steady. If you brake or speed up or down right there, you're likely to go down.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

I could blame an uneven roadway as well, I must say I did not expect it. I did scrap more than once during my msf course though, we were riding suzuki gz250's and I must say they are nimble little things and I could see having a lot of fun with one. Being that I am riding a larger bike in an "uncontrolled" environment, I am cautious and I only go as far as I am comfortable with. I am no longer nervous hitting 8, 9 grand, it's fun!!

K&N filters
MF-AGM Battery
93' VN750 / 13,600mi
Vestal, New York

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 07:16 PM

I still get nervous hitting high RPMs, but mainly because I'm not sure my bike can take it haha. I'm gonna baby it until I'm finished with school (few months, hopefully) then disassemble the engine and rebuild it
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 11:34 PM
kay
carbon unit

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Garage
I've never dragged a peg with the vulcan. I could see it happening in a curve if there's a bump in the pavement.

I drag a peg every now and then, with my Electra. Talk about nimble. I suppose it's a good thing it doesn't have the power the Vulcan has.

Oh and I agree...it was a great day for a ride.

2010 Triumph Speedmaster
1995 Vulcan750
1989 XT350
M880
1959 M38A1
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 12:00 AM

the weather in australia is unreal and great riding weather

bike
1986 vn 750
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 12:39 AM
IBEW 915 Electrician

October in Florida has been great and eastern Pasco, County is a great place for bikers. Went out today, took an the twisties, had a fun ride. If you're ever in Florida that stretch between Z-hills and Brooksville provides a lot of good riding.

'01 Vulcan 750
Irridium Plugs
MF Battery
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 06:51 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Scraping the right side is more common, at least for me than the left, I guess it is because we are on the inside of the turn & have a shorter turn radius, I know my right side wear peg (like the acorn nut on the Vulcan except about an inch long) is worn down about a 1/4" more than the left... But I am for the most part an upright rider except when I get serious in the twisties, then I may start shifting my body to the inside of the turns, sorta like the crotch rocket riders, that will keep the bike more upright and you will not scrape the pegs as much, actually that is probably how we should be doing anyway I guess...
Sand and gravel are something that should be kept in the back of your mind and watched for especially after a rain, and gravel side roads on an up hill grade are easily washed onto the pavement...
Little short patches in curves usually just make you grease the seat, but when they are spread a bit 3-4' or longer they will eat your lunch if you are a bit hot in the turn...
Yesterday was great here also, and today is supposed to be 84* and sunny, then cooler the rest of the week...
I got in a bit over 200 miles of twisties yesterday, and probably won't ride that much today ...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:43 AM

I managed to get out this weekend. I had to drive to Philly for my sis' b-day so worked a ride in. I took my twins girl on the ride too, she loved it. Anyway, it made me realize 2 things: 1 - I really need to get the bike up here to Clinton NJ cause I miss it like crazy. And 2, I'm missing some seriously good ridin' weather right now. Hopefully I can get a ride down to Philly this weekend, I'll have to see if I'm flyin' or not...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement