2005 VN750 can't turn switch "On." - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

2005 VN750 can't turn switch "On."

I just picked up a 2005 VN750 with a bad title for $500. Thinking I could maybe swap motors with my 85 VN700cc instead of replacing stator since it needs overhauled too. Was told the 2005 has sat out in open weather a little over a year and engine had a tapping noise last time it was started. It sat with forks in locked position...can turn key one notch to "Off" and unlock forks but that's as far as I can get it to go. Key works gas tank, rear toolbox, helmet locks, so it probably is right key. Guy said he thinks someone tried force to unlock forks without key as it was parked outside on city block.

I'm trying to get switch "On" so I can try to crank and hear engine run. But also, I notice little differences in motors. Will 2005 fit my 85? and this 2005 has a factory blue switch mounted on the left plastic fork cover...you can tell by factory ridge molded in plastic around the switch...what does it do?

I can't see threads in forum or open any unless it is the last one showing to right of dept. Working on that.

'85 VN700
2005 VN750 for parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by one2 View Post
I'm trying to get switch "On" so I can try to crank and hear engine run. But also, I notice little differences in motors. Will 2005 fit my 85? and this 2005 has a factory blue switch mounted on the left plastic fork cover...you can tell by factory ridge molded in plastic around the switch...what does it do?

I can't see threads in forum or open any unless it is the last one showing to right of dept. Working on that.
Am not aware of any switch on the either of the front forks. Photos would help here.

The 05 should fit in your 85 frame, there were no real differences in the motors other than bore size....so all engine mounts should line up.

The other locks on the bike only use 3 pins...tool box, helmet locks, fuel cap. To turn the ignition on, the lock has 4 or 5 pins than must match up with the key.......thus, it is possible to use a key from a different bike to open the gas cap, tool box, etc, but not turn on the ignition.

It is also possible someone tried to "pick" the lock and Fkd it up , or the key might be bad.

Other than calling in a locksmith, your best bet is just to use the ignition lock/switch off your 85.

Before doing this, you might try pumping a little pentatrating oil in the lock , as it is very possible it may just messed up from sitting so long.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Knife, I bookmarked topic here since it is only way I can get back right now.

I'm willing to try any other thing in the world than removing switch from '85 to try and crank motor on 2005 and reinstalling switch back to 85 after I'm finished. Never messed with switch before, might mess both up, maybe lazy...is it a big job? Tried lube, and I'm fairly sure it is right key and guy did say he thought someone messed with it when it sat outside. I was thinking of them tying to pop lock, but maybe picking too. Someone did mess with switch he said.

Anyhow here is pic with 2005 unknown factory switch:

And pic of badly abused 2005 VN750 by Harley lovers, 13,xxx mi., $500, parts for '85.
Title has $3500 lien, signed over to me by owner. Picked up yesterday, be Monday before help comes to get out of truck:

'85 VN700
2005 VN750 for parts

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

I meant switch on plastic neck cover.

'85 VN700
2005 VN750 for parts
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Before doing this, you might try pumping a little pentatrating oil in the lock , as it is very possible it may just messed up from sitting so long.
KM
Yep, like KM said, maybe a drop of "Lock-Ease" or two, or penetrating oil, then a bit of jiggleing...lol...
If that don't work it is probably shot, so hot wire it, or swap out the switches...
PS-That factory switch looks like an add on to me, could be about anything... I've had new 03s & 06s, neither had that switch...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...

Last edited by Old Dog; 10-14-2010 at 07:17 PM.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:12 PM

Mine doesn't have that switch, I don't think it's a factory switch. Maybe someone bypassed the ignition switch with it? Or used it for something else.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Okay, took flashlight and knife out to investigate closer. What I took for factory ridge around switch showed to be part of switch trim when I put knife under it and pried up.

Any clear instructions on hot wiring to see if I can get engine to turn over or crank. Inside of tank was shiny and I filled with gas and Seafoam on the way home. I'll keep lubing and jiggling until Monday when I can take out of truck. After that I wouldn't mind trying to remove ignition switch on 2005 or sticking screwdriver to turn...maybe look for another switch on eBay...and after I remove switch from 2005 I might see how complicated it is and if not to bad, take the one out of my '85. Have to think about it. I'm good at messing things up.

Motor was said to run good, use no oil, but developed tapping noise after setting up and last cranked...and said bike never ran hot anytime at all...I need to crank it and see before thinking about swapping them out. I don't know if I can do this, but I know I can try.

--
BTW, think a locksmith could fix?

-

'85 VN700
2005 VN750 for parts

Last edited by one2; 10-14-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: locksmith
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I'm wondering if the hydraulic (lifters? not sure that's the right part) leaked down while sitting so long and made that noise.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Someone with a service manual should be able to help you with the hot wire, I let mine go to another vn750 owner...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 09:50 PM

Just a thought....that switch could be a bypass for the cooling fan. Mine has one in the same posistion.

if you should get the key to on, try the thing and see.

"The Mistress".
1985 VN700A1

MODS:
New stator
My version of the Marbleing
New paint and trim
New oversized front tire
Degoated
Iridium Plugs
New grip and lever covers
New(er) Ignition switch

Waiting on:
A good ride

As always:
Wanting attention at all times.

Why should I act my age, I am an ADULT!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement