My VN750 / First photo attempt - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

My VN750 / First photo attempt

(First attempt at uploading photo. Bear with me if it didn't work)

This is my baby. I think I have finally got her just how I want; and, she has been a marvelous first bike. She is a 2005 VN750 and just rolled the 15,000 mile mark. This photo was taken during our Fall 2010 trip through the Blue Ridge Pkwy and Skyline Drive.

That having been said, our Summer was so freaking HOT (and still is) that I only got to ride a handful of times over the past 6 months because I am not into being a baked potato in my helmet. On top of that, there were 3 bikers killed around here this past weekend because the cagers refuse to accept that they are NOT the only ones on the road (NOTE: the bikers were not 'at fault' in these crashes -- of course they are still no less dead).

Now the question remains... I am thinking about upgrading (now that I have 4 years of bike experience) or debating to drop out of the bikes all together (I just live in an area that is getting too congested to safely ride. These cagers are complete and total idiots.

My vent for the day. Thank you for listening.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00906.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	3173  

Jeff

2005 VN750 Silver/Black
Kurykyn ISO grips
Mutazu LN Hard bags with wired LED Brake Lights
Kawasaki Rear Luggage Rack
Memphis Shades 21' Gradient Black Windshield

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Talking Side note: Photo

This photo was also taken during our recent Fall 2010 Trip through NC, VA, WVA (Blue Ridge Pkwy / Skyline Dr. and WVA twisties). As you can see from the GPS (Note the Max Speed), it was one helluva trip.

It takes a lot of work to make a 750 go that fast -- not to mention strength to hang on to the bike.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00925.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	3174  

Jeff

2005 VN750 Silver/Black
Kurykyn ISO grips

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 09:49 AM

I can see the pics just fine, look what a good job you did.

It says you're bike's top speed was 270. Is that miles an hour? Because slap an airfoil on ya and your airborn - no joke. These bikes don't go that fast, not even going down a mountain with wings attached. Not even with a sixth gear. A jeto pack on the luggage rack, maybe.

The average speed of a 757 jet airliner at 30,000 feet is about 323 miles an hour. They have 2 aviation rated turbine engines burning low lead fuel putting out a combined total of about 40,000 horses. You're not far from that on 2 wheels at ground level at 270? Unless those hard bags double as turbine engines, I just can't believe that - something's broke.

That first pic must be Skyline Drive. Aptly named, beautiful picture man - thanks for sharing.

Last edited by LibertyPilot; 10-12-2010 at 09:52 AM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 10:00 AM

I rode in the Texas heat, with a full face helmet all summer. I did get a new Scorpion Exo helmet and surprisingly, it wasn't that hot. I'd stop at a light and you could see the sweat form on my arms, but my head stayed cool. I rode with the visor up, and that helped a bit. But to get home after riding in the 110 heat and still have a dry helmet was pretty amazing to me.

I work smack dab in the middle of downtown Dallas, so I can tell you a little about traffic. A few places I've learned there are more problems than others, and made adjustments for them. The biggest problem I have is with the city buses. Apparently, red lights, right of way and lane changes are something they've been told to ignore.

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
I can see the pics just fine, look what a good job you did.

It says you're bike's top speed was 270. Is that miles an hour? Unless those hard bags double as turbine engines, I just can't believe that - something's broke.

That first pic must be Skyline Drive. Aptly named, beautiful picture man - thanks for sharing.
LOL.... Yes, that is Miles Per Hour (MPH). You don't believe I rode that fast?

GPS: To my knowledge nothing is broke. I have the same issue from time to time with my Tom-Tom too. As best I can figure, the Garmin calculates speed based on your triangulated position over time. In the mountains where the roads twist back on themselves, the GPS thinks I am in one spot, then recalculates and corrects the position to my actual location and divides that distance by time. Sometimes that abrupt change in location calculation makes the GPS think I traveled at ridiculous speeds. (I regularly get readings of 100+ miles per hour, but the 270mph was too good to pass up. I had to photograph it. LOL)

And, yes, that picture was on Skyline Dr. If I am not mistaken, it was the first vista on Skyline after leaving the B.R. Pkwy.

Jeff

2005 VN750 Silver/Black
Kurykyn ISO grips

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 10:04 AM

Oh yeah, top speed of 270mph, you traveled 130 miles and you moving time was 3 hours?

Since it's a Vulcan, I just have to say "That's illogical Captain".

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 10:40 AM

Great choice of saddle bags. not only does the shape mimic the tank, the silver accent blends perfectly with the tank also. What kind are they?

1990 vn-750
metzler 880's
r/r relocated
iridium plugs
ngk plug caps
mf agm battery
ballancer and stator replaced. (Lance328)
Pro Tac Backrest
progressive fork springs
fork seals replaced
2003 kdx 220
frp chain gude
frp skid plate
acerbix hand guards
uni filter
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phurp View Post
Great choice of saddle bags. not only does the shape mimic the tank, the silver accent blends perfectly with the tank also. What kind are they?
Thank you. They are the Mutazu. Not expensive, but they have (thus far) held up well. The only maintenance they have required is about once a year, I spray a little dab of graphite lubricant into the lock to keep them smooth.

Jeff

2005 VN750 Silver/Black
Kurykyn ISO grips

Last edited by JWenhart; 10-12-2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: typo correction
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWenhart View Post
LOL.... Yes, that is Miles Per Hour (MPH). You don't believe I rode that fast?

GPS: To my knowledge nothing is broke. I have the same issue from time to time with my Tom-Tom too. As best I can figure, the Garmin calculates speed based on your triangulated position over time. In the mountains where the roads twist back on themselves, the GPS thinks I am in one spot, then recalculates and corrects the position to my actual location and divides that distance by time. Sometimes that abrupt change in location calculation makes the GPS think I traveled at ridiculous speeds. (I regularly get readings of 100+ miles per hour, but the 270mph was too good to pass up. I had to photograph it. LOL)

And, yes, that picture was on Skyline Dr. If I am not mistaken, it was the first vista on Skyline after leaving the B.R. Pkwy.
Makes sense. Good to know for when I take those long rides too. I'd have to change the name from "Vulcan" to "Laser Beam".
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by phurp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWenhart View Post
Thank you. They are the Mutazu. Not expensive, but they have (thus far) held up well. The only maintenance they have required is about once a year, I spray a little dab of graphite lubricant into the lock to keep them smooth.
Here`s a couple of links for anyone interested in the Mutazu hardbags.
Mutazu LN hardbags (same as JWenhart`s):
http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?c...=12&s=prod.php

Sloppyburpfest`s installation of Mutazu GA hardbags:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...=mutazu+sloppy

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement