Running of the bulls in 2011 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to KIMMERLING
Talking Running of the bulls in 2011

Ok ladies and gents,
I will be running with the bulls in Pamplona, Spain next July. I was wondering if anyone had pointers or secret contacts in relation to my trip to help out with the experience. I will be landing in Madrid (don't have the ticket yet) and renting a car and rolling up to Pamplona. I will be there for about a week exploring San Sebastian and maybe the pyrenees mountains after i run with the bulls. Also, any of you rednecks that have bull experience feel free to chime in. Thanks.

2011 Suzuki VSTROM DL650 with ABS Purchased Jan 28 now with 39,000miles WRECKED JAN 12 ,2013
"To strive, to seek, to find, not to yield."
05 Vulcan 750 26,050miles *Traded in*
Ventura guards
MadStadt mount
Givi windshield/Heated grips
Backoff
Riderbeads
Givi 52 topcase
Pat Walsh Crash bars skid plate
OEM centerstand
Headlight modulator
Battery tender
Aquarium thermometer with forward probe mount
Admore LED Lighting/Givi E36N panniers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 01:13 AM

Are you Spanish or a Spanish descendant or something? Just wondering, since I also noticed it says "Rocinante" under your name. Or maybe you just like "Don Quijote".
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 01:45 AM
MANIC MECHANIC

Send a message via MSN to vulcanjoe Send a message via Yahoo to vulcanjoe
Being a hillbilly from east Tennessee growing up working on a cattle farm, "Stay away from the bull" was always the advice given. Since you are jumping into a closed off path with a lot of bulls you have already thrown out that advice. So the next best advice I was given was "RUN!!!"

34k so far
VN750.com member #613
Keep the shiny side up
coastered
de-goat and baffles removed
jetted 42-150 2 shims
Earshaved with unifilters
inside of tank coated
spline lube
long Beach Blue Pearl Paint 4/07
Shindengen FH012AA r/r
TPE stator
Exide sc30lfa Battery 28ah 445cca
Saddlemen saddlebags
2001 HD fatboy solo seat
Custom taillight & rear turn signals
Fergy's coil relay mod
Fiamm El-Grande high/low tone horns

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 03:30 AM

hahaha that's exactly what I think whenever I see or hear about the bull run... I really have no idea why a sane person would get in the way of a bunch of bulls, but I guess I may do stuff that other people can't understand either lol
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

My mom is from Spain but thats not really the reason. I just wanted to do it along time ago and didn't get another chance. Kind of a bucket list thing. My dad is a redneck from Kansas..he met her when he was in the military overseas.
I saw the don quixote name for his horse and thought it would be cool. I am currently starting a training program of bowflex and running. I was wondering if i should mix in some real bull experience or something smaller and harmless like a chicken.

2011 Suzuki VSTROM DL650 with ABS Purchased Jan 28 now with 39,000miles WRECKED JAN 12 ,2013
Ventura guards
MadStadt mount
Backoff
Riderbeads
Givi 52 topcase
OEM centerstand
Headlight modulator
Battery tender
Aquarium thermometer with forward probe mount
Admore LED Lighting/Givi E36N panniers
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 07:40 AM

LOL, chickens won't spear you Mark. I think you're nuts but good luck to you just the same.

My only advice would be to stay at the front of the crowd and run like hell. The people in the back are usually the one's I see get speared, trampled, tossed and usually end up in the hospital or dead. So if you find yourself sliding to the back, find a way outta there and fast.

The craziest thing I ever want to do is jump out of a perfectly good airplane lol. So I comend your bravery and courage brother. I sure as hell would never do it.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 07:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750_DawgsFan View Post
LOL, chickens won't spear you Mark. I think you're nuts but good luck to you just the same.

My only advice would be to stay at the front of the crowd and run like hell. The people in the back are usually the one's I see get speared, trampled, tossed and usually end up in the hospital or dead. So if you find yourself sliding to the back, find a way outta there and fast.

The craziest thing I ever want to do is jump out of a perfectly good airplane lol. So I comend your bravery and courage brother. I sure as hell would never do it.
You know this intrigues me.Having grown up in the country and on occasion having to run from a great big sack of beef covered in cowhide on more than one occasion ,just to end with having to cross or go through a barbed wire or electric fence with survival on my mind it really holds no appeal to me.

I used to want to jump out of an airplane when I was younger,but I have since gotten over that urge also.Maybe I am getting older and realize how a lot of the knocks and bangs are now coming back to haunt me as aches and pains,I am not nearly as fearless as I once thought I was.

If you think you must, go for it.But a friendly piece of advice is,generally when I have thought any thing that began with"I wonder what would happen if I.....?" The outcome wasn't favorable to me. Just sayin'

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 07:59 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Well this Redneck thinks there is a lot of good advise above, and yes the running should help your training, and set your goal high, like a mile in 1.5 min., if that don't work check into a mental center for about 90 days, preferably June thru Aug. 2011...
BTW-My dad was a cattle trader when I was a kid, so I know a little bit about cattle, bulls included... If nothing else works, pray, pray, pray that you will break a leg just before the event and have to withdraw...
And your from a white settlement in Texas...??? I find that hard to believe...lol.........
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:40 AM

Ballzy dude. That's probably something I'd convince myself I would do but then, when I got there, I'd talk myself out of it. I'm one of the biggest adrenalin junkies out there but everything I do to get my fix has safety precautions. This seems like total abandon to me which, let's be honest, would certainly get you your fix!

I know thousands of people do it and maybe a couple dozen get hurt but the problem I have is: if you're faster and stonger than everyone else, it's not necessarily an advantage. I'm not trying to dissuade you by any means but it feels more like Russian roulette then say, sky diving.

Oh, and please post pics when you get back.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

I will try to take lots of pics. Gotta worry about being robbed and stuff. Also, cant have cameras during the run. I appreciate the input. I will be running with another guy I grew up with ...he got the ok from his wife to run with me. I still have to get that white uniform they wear....

Ventura guards
MadStadt mount
Backoff
Riderbeads
Givi 52 topcase
OEM centerstand
Headlight modulator
Battery tender