I don't live in California but their bikers need help on new law...!!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

I don't live in California but their bikers need help on new law...!!!

Copied e-mail from Fix My Hog--

SB-435 has passed in the California legislature
To stay in touch with our industry I get Cyril Huze's Blog.

Call To Action Regarding Pollution Control Devices In California
Published by Cyril Huze September 23rd, 2010 in Editorial.
I publish below a call for action on behalf of ABATE Of California (American Bikers Towards Education) and BOLT (Bikers Of Lesser Tolerance) regarding recently passed legislation, California SB-435.

Vehicles: pollution control devices. SB-435 has passed in the California legislature and the Governor has until September 30th to decide to sign it into law, veto the bill or do nothing in which case the bill becomes law. All motorcyclists in the USA are urged to call, email or fax California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to urge him to use his Power of Veto to stop this bill before the September 30, 2010 deadline.
Unchecked, this type of legislation will be spreading nation wide. Disguised as a pollution control bill, it is actually a noise control bill and there are already laws in California dealing with noise. This bill places an undue burden on motorcyclists, endangers the cottage industry of after market manufacturers as well as custom builders and hobbyists and does nothing to control emissions.

Visit BOLT USA for more information on the bill and the Call to Action and call, email or fax today. We must unite and tell Governor Schwarzenegger this bill is not wanted or needed. He has stated that he is remaining neutral until he hears from the public before the September 30th deadline. Please act on this request and post it on your social network pages and forward to friends.

Governor’s Office. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. State Capitol Building, Sacramento, CA 95814. Phone: (916) 445-2841. Fax: (916) 558-3160. To email go to Governor Of California and click on tab “Interact”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 05:22 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Well I think I would need to see the actual copy of the propossed law before I could say I am against it. There is no specific info in your post detailing the wording of the propossed law.

It might even be something that I would favor...

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 05:54 PM
MANIC MECHANIC

Send a message via MSN to vulcanjoe Send a message via Yahoo to vulcanjoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Well I think I would need to see the actual copy of the propossed law before I could say I am against it. There is no specific info in your post detailing the wording of the propossed law.

It might even be something that I would favor...

KM
It is not something I favor I have worked In several shops here in northern VA where we do emissions testing. First the shop has to buy an emissions machine w/ dynamometer at a cost of about 60k installed. The cost of the inspection to the victim is a state mandated $28.00. It doesn't make a lot of sense does it. But here in the state of Virginia to legally perform emissions repairs it must be done at a state certified emissions repair facility. Now for the parts, if you read the law here ANY changes in the emissions system from factory are illegal. Not just loud aftermarket exhausts on cars All aftermarket exhausts. My friend Brian was pulled over for his fart-can muffler on his civic, and ticketed. We replaced his exhaust with a Bosal factory replacement exhaust just like any replacement muffler from a parts house. He wanted a chrome tip we put one on. He was pulled over a couple of weeks later by the same state trooper that got him the first time. He laid down behind the car and checked the muffler with his flashlight. It did not say honda so he was ticketed again. He had our emissions inspector look it up in the rule book. To legally repair an exhaust system here in VA the parts have to be factory. Just the fact that this law is retroactive to 2000My motorcycles follow the trail of money and you will see why they are trying to get this to be law. The emissions machines will have to be retrofitted, the people will have to pay for these inspections, a lot of factory parts will have to be purchased. All in the name of clean air. Sounds like money to me.

34k so far
VN750.com member #613
Keep the shiny side up
coastered
de-goat and baffles removed
jetted 42-150 2 shims
Earshaved with unifilters
inside of tank coated
spline lube
long Beach Blue Pearl Paint 4/07
Shindengen FH012AA r/r
TPE stator
Exide sc30lfa Battery 28ah 445cca
Saddlemen saddlebags
2001 HD fatboy solo seat
Custom taillight & rear turn signals
Fergy's coil relay mod
Fiamm El-Grande high/low tone horns

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
It might even be something that I would favor... KM
As stated, I just copied an e-mail from Fix My Hog... Like me, you don't live in California either... Just wanted to give the California folks on here a heads up, like you, I don't have a dog in the race either...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 11:13 PM

Hey, didn't I warn you all about this years ago? Washington state troopers can ticket any biker that mufflers and frame EPA numbers don't match - NO TESTING REQUIRED, no sound check needed.

ABATE could not stop it here, chances are it will be in your state soon.

DT

BTW, I kept my stock exhaust tips to be ready for this.

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
I may be having a false memory but I seem to remember that in Hawaii even if you slip a chrome exhaust tip over the stock on your car the car must go through inspection again. Or something that critical/stupid.
When I was stationed in Okinawa back in the early 70s the Japanese vehicle inspections checked the timing of the vehicle. The government timed it to the most pollution-less setting and then put a seal on your distributer. If you broke that seal, for any reason, it was a heavy fine.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 11:30 PM
MANIC MECHANIC

My bike still has the stock pipes (sort of) the goats belly has been removed and pipes were bent and flared then welded in place. The baffles have been removed from the mufflers. In a spot check it looks like its all there. In the In the EPA test they will check for the reed valves the factory air box and filters also. God forbid you have a California bike with evaporative emissions they will check for all of that just like they do in cars.

34k so far
VN750.com member #613
Keep the shiny side up
coastered
jetted 42-150 2 shims
inside of tank coated
spline lube
Shindengen FH012AA r/r
TPE stator
Saddlemen saddlebags
2001 HD fatboy solo seat
Fergy's coil relay mod

Last edited by vulcanjoe; 09-28-2010 at 11:33 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 06:12 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Now they are coming after us, and yet we still have tons of dumptrucks and 18 wheelers pouring out heavy black exhaust all over the country. How is this fair?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 06:27 AM
MANIC MECHANIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750_DawgsFan View Post
Now they are coming after us, and yet we still have tons of dumptrucks and 18 wheelers pouring out heavy black exhaust all over the country. How is this fair?
the dump trucks and 18 wheelers are deemed a necessary evil because without them people would be inconvienenced. They view us ad an inconvienence there was a morning drive radio dj on a baltimore station who came right out and said he did not look for motorcycles and would not look for motorcycles. If you ride you take the risk into your own hands. most cage drivers view us as an inconvienence something they have to pay extra attention to. so why not regulate us off the road.

34k so far
VN750.com member #613
Keep the shiny side up
coastered
jetted 42-150 2 shims
inside of tank coated
spline lube
Shindengen FH012AA r/r
TPE stator
Saddlemen saddlebags
2001 HD fatboy solo seat
Fergy's coil relay mod
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 06:30 AM

a little further information

The link to this is posted on Dudley Perkins site, its well worth having a look-this is i suspect very much the thin end of the wedge

California Senate Bill 435 will become law if it is not vetoed by September 30th!
Updated: Senate Bill 435 was sent to the Governor on August 30th. He has until September 30th to veto the bill or it will become law.

On August 30, 2010, the California Senate passed SB 435 by a vote of 21-16 and is on Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger’s desk. Despite state Senator Fran Pavley’s (D-CA-23) claims, the bill will do little to address excessive sound or reduce emissions, and is still unfairly targeting motorcycle owners.

In a letter, dated August 5, 2010, the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) sent a letter to Governor Schwarzenegger urging him to veto SB 435. To view the governor’s reply, click here. In response to the Senate’s passage of SB 435, the AMA sent a follow-up letter, dated August 31, 2010, to the governor, continuing to urge a veto. A final letter was just sent on September 26th, once again requesting a veto of this legislation.

As written, SB 435 is not practical in a real world traffic stop situation due to the inconsistent location of the federal label, making it difficult for law enforcement to locate. These labels can be positioned on different locations depending on the type of exhaust and/or style of the motorcycle. This will result in improper and unwarranted citations.

Furthermore, after-market exhaust systems are not always louder than stock systems and can be installed for a variety of legitimate reasons. Stock exhaust can wear out over time, be damaged, unavailable or prohibitively expensive. If signed into law, motorcyclists, and motorcyclists alone, will be forced to purchase Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) parts, while automobile drivers will continue to be allowed to install exhaust components from non-OEM sources.

This bill is discriminatory and punitive. It will serve only to drive up the cost of ownership for every rider while doing little or nothing to actually address the issue of excessive motorcycle sound. Please contact the Governor's office today and request a veto of this unfair legislation.

The fastest way to reach the Governor is to call, (916) 445-2841. You can also send a pre-written message immediately by following the “Take Action” option and entering your information. The AMA encourages riders to personalize their message.

To view an AMA press release on SB 435, click here.

For those who want to do more, please utilize AMA tips and tools available at on our website at AmericanMotorcyclist.com > Rights > Get Involved, or for direct access, click here. If you are on Facebook, become a fan of the AMA at Facebook.com/AmericanMotorcyclist.

Please write or call the governor today and urge him to veto SB 435. Thank you for your active participation and efforts to encourage your friends and family to do the same.

Take Action
1 COMPOSE MESSAGE
Message Recipients:
Arnold Schwarzenegger (R-CA), Governor
Delivery Method:
Email
Printed Letter
Subject:
Please veto Senate Bill 435
Editable text:
(edit or add your own text - 8557 characters left)

Tip: Cutting-and-pasting? Save as plain text first.
Your Closing:
Your Name:

2 SENDER INFORMATION
This system requires that you provide your name and contact information. This information will not be used for any purpose other than to identify you to the recipient.
Your Contact Information:
Prefix (required by some officials)

First *
Last *

Email *

Address *

City *

State *
ZIP *
ZIP + 4

Phone

Would you like to volunteer to protect the future of motorcycling?
Yes No
What action alert topic(s) would you prefer to receive from the AMA? (Select all that apply)
On-highway
Off-highway
ATV
Remember Me! (what's this?)
Sign me up for the Action E-List.
Send a copy of this letter to American Motorcyclist Association.
A copy of your message will be sent to the e-mail address entered above.

(Please click only once.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement