Compiling a VN750 Bible - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Linkmeister Supreme

Thumbs up Compiling a VN750 Bible

As a result of the links that I frequently post here, slimvulcanrider suggested in another thread that we need a VN750 "bible". We already have the Vulcan Verses which are a great resource, but many of the links no longer work, and we have many more members now who have contributed items which need to be easier to find and accesible to all.

I started the "Ten Things" link in my sig line below some time ago, but have not yet compiled that info into a brief but comprehensive list. I`m thinking these two projects need to be kept separate, but the style could be similar. What I am contemplating is organizing the subjects in "layers".

The first layer would be a list of basic ideas or a "table of contents", perhaps following the general outline topics of the various technical forums.

Then we could expand it going from the general ideas to more specific items and ideas and links to members service tips, modifications, vendors etc. in 2 or 3 layers. When the "bible" is completed it will probably be most easily found if it is put on the vn750 Scibed site for text files that slim set up.

One example of the organization could be something like this:

Equiptment,

Seats, Aftermarket; -Mustang, -Corbin, -Saddlemans, etc. with links.
Seats, Modified by professional shops. with links.
Seats modified by member riders, with links to threads and photos.
etc., etc.

This will be a new and large undertaking for me, and I will need help from you to find the topics and links that we feel are most useful. So you tell me, is this a good idea and would it be helpful to you?

What topics do you have an idea for, or a link to share? Lets hear them now.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 09:25 PM

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I'd be interested in finding out which repairs are beginning to be difficult to do because of lack of parts. The more I read, I seem to be finding out that Kawasaki is discontinuing items and so forcing us to find more "creative" ways to keep our bikes running. Since I've just acquired an '85 VN700..I'm definitely interested in finding out if there are items that just can't be replaced or fixed? Maybe something like a "hard-to-find" list with resolutions for us new owners. It would probably keep the number of repeat questions down too.

New rider/mechanic of '85 VN700 Vulcan. (25k miles)

Link to bike restoration blog:
http://trailofthewolf.blogspot.com/s...%20Restoration
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 09:50 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
What about implementing a WIKI format as a replacement for the verses and other key VN750 information? A WIKI format might better fit this type of forum, where information (i.e. how to's, repairs, specifications, mods, etc.) is distributed across its membership. Personally, I think that one person trying to compile all the information is editorial suicide; there is just too much info, too many opinions and not enough time. Using a WIKI format allows for a single person can to do the write-up and the rest of the membership to perform editorial. A personal example might go as follows.

A while back I did a 'how to' on remedying POOGS. However, the instruction were for a '06 non-CA model without pictures. What's missing is CA specific instructions and early model VN750 which did not have a gas cap vent at all. In this case, my initial write-up would be augmented by others with the missing model specific remedy specifications, techniques and of course pictures. The end document would be a compete POOGS 'how to' for all VN750 models.

Just something to consider.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglennon View Post
What about implementing a WIKI format as a replacement for the verses and other key VN750 information? A WIKI format might better fit this type of forum, where information (i.e. how to's, repairs, specifications, mods, etc.) is distributed across its membership. Personally, I think that one person trying to compile all the information is editorial suicide; there is just too much info, too many opinions and not enough time. Using a WIKI format allows for a single person can to do the write-up and the rest of the membership to perform editorial. A personal example might go as follows.

A while back I did a 'how to' on remedying POOGS. However, the instruction were for a '06 non-CA model without pictures. What's missing is CA specific instructions and early model VN750 which did not have a gas cap vent at all. In this case, my initial write-up would be augmented by others with the missing model specific remedy specifications, techniques and of course pictures. The end document would be a compete POOGS 'how to' for all VN750 models.

Just something to consider.
I agree with you.. I have started this undertaking two years ago, and keep restarting do to the vast amount of information. The wiki Idea seams like a good idea though...

I want to keep the formatting the same as the Kawasaki Service Manual so that a person looking for information on say an Ear Shave would know to look under the fuel section and could then directly fallow instructions on rejetting the carbs and such with the Service Manual.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Linkmeister Supreme

I just got a PM from slim, and he has been gathering stuff for this for a year, and is ready to start writing version 1.0. I will step back at let him take the lead on this. I am happy to help and share whatever links that I have gathered over the past couple of years.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 11:24 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Started up the wiki.. tell me what you think... each page is going to be broken down like the service manual. so under each page, just make a page that pertains to a sub topic in the manual. if a page exists alreadey add a new thread, or edit the original thread.

http://vn750.wetpaint.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement