1985 VN700 will turn over but will not idle (im a newbie please help) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

1985 VN700 will turn over but will not idle (im a newbie please help)

I have just bought a 1985 VN700. It didnt have any gas when I looked at it, so it turned over but it obviously didnt stay running. I brought it home and put gas in it and sure enough even with gas it will turn over and run for a split second, but with any gas given or even choked it will die. I assume it might be a carb problem. Please if you have any information on this issue or if you could just point me in the right direction that would be great. I want to learn my self I dont want to have to take it to a mechanic. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 10:05 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness Matthew.

If the bike has been sitting for a long time and the fuel evaporated out of it in your Texas heat, the tank and carbs could be gummed up with varnish. Try pouring 6-8 ounces of Seafoam fuel conditioner or even some fuel injector cleaner into the tank of fresh fuel. Find the carb float bowl drain screws and drain the fuel out of them. Turn the petcock (fuel valve on the bottom left side of tank) to the Prime (PRI) position found only on the earliest 3 or 4 model years. This will allow fuel with the Seafoam to flow and fill the carbs too. Let it sit for a day or two, and try to start it once in a while.

If it still won`t run, check for fuel flow from the tank, and vacuum hose to middle nipple on petcock is not broken or cracked.

Here`s a link to the Vulcan Verses with info on flushing out the carbs through the drains.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1080

You might find this link interesting too.
http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 09-16-2010 at 10:08 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome, Matthew. As OlHoss said, carb problems are common on bikes that sat. When you change the oil, do it with the bike on the sidestand. After removing the drain plug, stick a finger in the hole and pull out the spring, flat washer and screen. Look for any foreign material on the screen, especially chunks of rubber. Bikes of your's age tend to have deteriorated balance dampers. The rubber damper parts usually show up on the screen before major damage occurs (see my project bike info in signature). Also, check the tank for rust since you're in a pretty humid environment. It forms because of condensation in the bottom of the tank first. Try to get a look with a small flashlight and mechanic's mirror.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Olhoss and flightcontrol!!! I will do both, drain gas from carb then put in fuel injector cleaner let sit for a day or so and see if runs. Also, I will change the oil and check spring, flat washer and screen. One question though, does the spring, flat washer and screen just pull right out with a, for lack of better word, tug?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

OH one more question. The gas tank is rusted inside! Whats the best way to correct that issue?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Also one more thing. There is a gooey substance that is now on my garage floor that feels like oil but smells like gas...It had to of happened when I was trying to start it going back and forth from the PRI to RES on my petcock. Any idea where that could be coming from and why?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 11:46 PM
MANIC MECHANIC

Send a message via MSN to vulcanjoe Send a message via Yahoo to vulcanjoe
sounds like a stuck float as far as the rust muratic acid and naval jelly use the search to find it

34k so far
VN750.com member #613
Keep the shiny side up
coastered
de-goat and baffles removed
jetted 42-150 2 shims
Earshaved with unifilters
inside of tank coated
spline lube
long Beach Blue Pearl Paint 4/07
Shindengen FH012AA r/r
TPE stator
Exide sc30lfa Battery 28ah 445cca
Saddlemen saddlebags
2001 HD fatboy solo seat
Custom taillight & rear turn signals
Fergy's coil relay mod
Fiamm El-Grande high/low tone horns
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 09:24 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I used The Works toilet bowl cleaner, avaiable at WalMart for around $1.25 per 16 ounce bottle. It runs around 20% hydrochloric acid and the muriatic is 40% hydrochloric. Fergy, a member of this forum, has a good write up on using muriatic acid. Locally, I could only find muriatic in a gallon container, and you won't need that much. I think I only used one bottle of The Works to do two tanks. When finished, I poured what was in the tank through a coffee filter and put it back in the bottle.

You can do a search for my write up here, or Google: The Works Tank Cleaner. One guy used acetone to dry the tank. I don't recommend this as one spilled drop instantly ate my tank paint. After rinsing the tank with water, immediately give it a really good shot of WD 40. It will displace the water and prevent flash rusting.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewdavidwatson View Post
Also one more thing. There is a gooey substance that is now on my garage floor that feels like oil but smells like gas...It had to of happened when I was trying to start it going back and forth from the PRI to RES on my petcock. Any idea where that could be coming from and why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanjoe View Post
sounds like a stuck float as far as the rust muratic acid and naval jelly use the search to find it
The gooey crap on the floor sounds like rotten old gas on the way to becoming varnish or gum.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 02:44 PM

Matt...I had all of these issues when I got my bike.. it had sat for probably 5 or 6 years.. ran seafoam (great stuff btw.. cant live without it) thru many times.. jsut seemed to get worse... finaly had a float stick on me so I ended up pulling the carbs (not that hard really).. took the carbs apart to clean em (I'm pretty sure they had never been off of the bike since it was new in 1992!.. had enough stuff in the carbs to build a 2nd bike with!..while the carbs are out I am doing an ear shave.. might as well right!.. my point is.. you will probably just have to bite it and go all the way with this old girl.. it will be worth it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement