Shaky Tach fix... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
1992 VN 750

Shaky Tach fix...

I am in the process of moving back to the states and while I was cleaning out the garage and disposing of the needless detritus acquired whilst bike wrenching, I came across a simple solution to my shaky tach. I cut a piece of fuel line about 3/4 inch long and slid it between the housing and the bracket from the dash. It fits perfect in the slot below the tach and blends in so well that it is not even noticeable while sitting on the bike. It is short enough that the sides of the opening in the tach housing hold it in place and it fixed my shaky tach issue. I am sure I could have used duct tape or done some other more complicated repair, but the redneck in me came out and it seemed to only make sense. Shim to fit seems the norm for some quick fixes.

Bike is cleaned up and ready for shipment now! Headed to Colorado Springs so I will be looking for any CO Vulcan riders once I get into town. My household goods won't arrive until mid-November and I am sure it will be a bit too brisk to ride...but given a few warm days I might have to venture out a bit before winter sets in and shuts down the season for good.

How long is the riding season in CO for those that might live there?

1992 VN 750 / 18,100 miles
V and H Cruzers
Earshaved and sheared
110/90 and 170/80 Metzeler 880s
AGM Battery
TPE Stator
Clear Alternatives LED brakelight
Saddleman Explorer Seat
Kurakyn Levers
VN750.com Grill cover
SCP Coasters
Iridium plugs
MOSFET R/R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 05:54 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to KIMMERLING
Be safe coming back and I would love to live in Colorado someday. Enjoy!

2011 Suzuki VSTROM DL650 with ABS Purchased Jan 28 now with 39,000miles WRECKED JAN 12 ,2013
"To strive, to seek, to find, not to yield."
05 Vulcan 750 26,050miles *Traded in*
Ventura guards
MadStadt mount
Givi windshield/Heated grips
Backoff
Riderbeads
Givi 52 topcase
Pat Walsh Crash bars skid plate
OEM centerstand
Headlight modulator
Battery tender
Aquarium thermometer with forward probe mount
Admore LED Lighting/Givi E36N panniers
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 01:54 PM

Tach housing on my wife's VN750 shakes quite a bit as well, 3X times as much as the speedometer housing does, is this typical? Thanks for the idea on the rubber hose.

"Buy the best and cry just once"

02' VN750
05' FJR 1300
05' YZ 250
11' 800e BCX

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 02:05 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Great tip! I love easy fixes to annoying problems. One would think that a major corporation like Kawasaki, with its teams of engineers, could have come up with a simple rubber plug like the one you've made. After all, they spent 20 years building bikes with shaky tachometers, so there were plenty of test cases to work out a solution.

Next time I pass the auto parts store I'm stopping in to get my 3/4 inch piece of fuel line. Thanks again!

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 06:27 PM

Easy fix with ball bungies...

I wrapped one of these around the tach speedo, hid the ball and everythings great.

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordolover View Post
I am in the process of moving back to the states and while I was cleaning out the garage and disposing of the needless detritus acquired whilst bike wrenching, I came across a simple solution to my shaky tach. I cut a piece of fuel line about 3/4 inch long and slid it between the housing and the bracket from the dash. It fits perfect in the slot below the tach and blends in so well that it is not even noticeable while sitting on the bike. It is short enough that the sides of the opening in the tach housing hold it in place and it fixed my shaky tach issue....
I can verify that this is a quick, inexpensive and easy way to stop the tachometer from wobbling. I purchased 4" of fuel line from Ace Hardware, cut 3/4", unscrewed the tachometer gauge cup (single screw in the back of the cup), let the gauge cup slide down to enlarge the opening between the gauge mounting bracket and the back of the gauge cup, slid in the 3/4" piece of fuel line and tightened the gauge cup screw. Tightening the gauge cup screw pinches the piece of fuel line and no more wobble!!! I trimmed the excess fuel line hanging out of the opening and now you can't tell it is there.

Thank you bordolover for this great tip!

I also found a use for the remaining fuel line.

I have read threads suggesting that the throttle cable which rubs against the front right spark plug boot can cause a short over time. So, I used the remaining fuel line to cover the cable just above the spark plug boot. Just slice the fuel line, wrap it around the cable and let the friction between the cable and spark plug boot hold it in place. Hopefully this will eliminate the possibility of a future electrical short.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Calif Rider

cglennon what you mentioned in your thread is a good idea for all electrical wires and cables that can chaf on any part of the bike. In the Air Force this was something I learned with most of the aircraft I worked on. Any line, electrical wire that touches a sharp edge or can rub up on anything on the bike should have a chaffing pad around it. They sell a plastic ribbed split housings that are of different sizes to fit around all kinds of wires or cables. I have them all over my bike to ward off the ware that causes problems after a long period.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weh44att View Post
cglennon what you mentioned in your thread is a good idea for all electrical wires and cables that can chaf on any part of the bike. In the Air Force this was something I learned with most of the aircraft I worked on. Any line, electrical wire that touches a sharp edge or can rub up on anything on the bike should have a chaffing pad around it. They sell a plastic ribbed split housings that are of different sizes to fit around all kinds of wires or cables. I have them all over my bike to ward off the ware that causes problems after a long period.
Great point! I've seen this for type of housing for bundling and hiding computer cables, but the diameter was very large. Do you have a link for the plastic ribbed split housing that you used?

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 01:57 PM

I did a search, as the shakey tach was getting on my nerves, and found this thread. I loosened the tach screw on the back, stuck about a 1" piece of hose up in there until it stopped, and BINGO! It's hardly visible, and is just as steady as the speedo!

Thanks!

05 VN750
Iridium Plugs
Spline Lubed front/rear
ignition pickups gapped
AGM Battery
Relocated MOSFET R/R
Coaster Mod
Pilot Screws at 2-1/4 turns
Slipstreamer S-08 Windshield
F&S Saddlebags/Mounts
Luggage Rack
12V Outlet
Mustang Seat
sissy bar
Oversized Pirelli Front Tire
6k miles

PW50, XR50, TTR90, XR100, DT175 (2-smoker), CRF230F, XR250R (dual sported), XR400R 4 KIDS, LOL!

1966 mustang street/strip
4-speed, nitrous
[email protected] 135.6
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:54 AM

Garage
I recently had the tach and speedo off for a mod I was doing. While I had them off I looked at the mounting of these and realized why they vibrate and shake so much. On the back of the tach and speedo, there is a mounting post with a shoulder. A rubber spacer rests against the bracket and gets compressed against the housing by a washer and nut. The problem is that the shoulder on the post is not low enough for decent compression of the rubber spacer. I resolved this by adding a metal washer with an ID large enough to clear the shoulder and compress the rubber spacer tighter against the back of the tach/speedo housing. This make the rubber spacer fit a bit more snug, but still has some dampening to it. I reassembled the dash and mounted it.

This seems to be a real good permanent fix for the shaky tach and speedo. The original configuration left it so loose that you could actually wiggle it on the mount.

Last edited by kc2dgq; 01-05-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement