Free or cheap mods - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Free or cheap mods

I was wondering if there where any cheap or free mods that can be done to the bike to improve the performance of the bike. I have read about the pickup coil mod and I think I understand how to do that. When I bought the bike the rectifier had already been moved. I was wondering if there where any performance coils for the 750? Is it possible to remove the exhaust box under the bike and just replace it with an h-pipe or x-pipe? I like that the exhaust exits on either side of the bike and dont really want to change it but I know on a car it is better for both exhaust pipes to be the same length and to have an x-pipe or h-pipe to increase hp and torque. I really enjoy the bike but like everything there is always room for improvement. My main goal is the increase performance with out loosing gas mileage and hopefully gaining mileage. I have already put K&N air filters on the bike as well as iridium NGK plugs. I am also looking for a long lasting tire. I have bridgestone spitfire tires on it right now. I was wondering if there where any disk brake conversions that could be done to the rear of the bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I doubt seriously you can increase performance...i.e. accelleration and top speed, without sacrificing some gas mileage.

Doing and "earshave" and rejeting is the easiest way to get a bit more power, but you will use more gas. (By "earshave" this means removing the entire air filter system and using pod type filters that clamp directly to the carb mouths)

The 750 as is, is a pretty quick little V twin, able to out gun many other Vtwin bikes with bigger motors.

My completely stock bike was perhaps .09 slower in the 1/4 mile than one that was breathing better, so my overall thinking here is it is a waste of time and money to look for more power on this particular bike. If you want to go fast, buy a sport bike.

You can regear them...not an easy thing to do on a shaft drive bike. The quickest way to get a better jump off the line here is not to alter the bike, but alter the rider. Lose 15-20 pounds and you can pick up that .09 sec without spending any money.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 07:26 PM

saying i'm fat???

Harley sportster fenders
custom raked front end
custom exhaust
vn800 tank and guages
modified seat and recovered
rear frame chopped
custom wiring harness
airbox removed

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 07:36 PM

hahahahaha XD
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 09:08 PM
1985 VN-700

Oh Thats my problem I am 5'-4".............Wide
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Well I was reading on here about the pickup and ignition coil mods that can be done to improve its response time a little. I fully realize that this bike is not a sports bike. I currently own a Buell Blast which is a 500cc naked sports bike and it could keep up with a 1200cc Suzuki Bandit up to 80 mph which is about the bikes top end so I am not looking for a sports bike. Are there any performance coils for these bikes? If not are there universal ones that will work? I know from being a vehicle mechanic that a performance coil usually will last longer and help performance but only slightly without any other mods but I think it is crazy to pay $80 per coil if they are not performance coils. I could get coils for my old bandit for like $20 each the performance coils where like $60 or $70 each. I guess my real question is are there any performance parts for these bikes besides the basic stuff like filters, plugs, and batteries? In the end I am not really trying to improve performance so much as reliability. Like with my Buell as soon as I stopped using Harley parts I stopped having problems with the bike.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 12:09 AM

I am going to get accel super coils p/n 140403 coils since they have a hotter spark and allow you to use larger more efficient wires with a variety of colors. I do not expect to see much better performance, but I expect easier starting. Only problem is the are not cheap. Our vn750 does not show on the compatability list on accel website but the vn700 is on there so it will work. My bike is degoated with slash cut exhaust and has the ears shaved/rejeted and I must say she will move. I will be installing coasters soon.

Harley sportster fenders
custom raked front end
custom exhaust
vn800 tank and guages
modified seat and recovered
rear frame chopped
custom wiring harness
airbox removed
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 12:17 AM
MANIC MECHANIC

Send a message via MSN to vulcanjoe Send a message via Yahoo to vulcanjoe
amazon .com usually has he super coil kits for 170

34k so far
VN750.com member #613
Keep the shiny side up
coastered
de-goat and baffles removed
jetted 42-150 2 shims
Earshaved with unifilters
inside of tank coated
spline lube
long Beach Blue Pearl Paint 4/07
Shindengen FH012AA r/r
TPE stator
Exide sc30lfa Battery 28ah 445cca
Saddlemen saddlebags
2001 HD fatboy solo seat
Custom taillight & rear turn signals
Fergy's coil relay mod
Fiamm El-Grande high/low tone horns
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 04:17 PM
College Biker

If I where you and looking to go cheap, i would just put in some high preformance spark plugs and wires, and jet the carbs. I also put a little bit of octane booster in my bike when ever i fill up, make it run nicer, and faster. Walmart sells this stuff called 0-60 octane booster that is pretty cheap
As for an exhaust I would just take off the goat belly and put flex pipes right back to the mufflers (thats what I did), some people put an H pipe, but i dont have the ability to weld so this was easy for me to do, and cheap. Just check your local state laws before you do this.

92 Vulcan 750
painted black
de goated
extended back rest
luggage rack
front bag
drag specialtys grips (goin to be changed)
front floor boards
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 05:06 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganwolf05 View Post
...I have already put K&N air filters on the bike as well as iridium NGK plugs. I am also looking for a long lasting tire. I have bridgestone spitfire tires on it right now. ...
You have probably already done the two of the easiest mods to boost performance; K&N air filter and iridium plugs. As for tires, if the term "long lasting" refers to length of time, then I think you're out of luck. Even the best available tires for the VN750 need to be replaced after about 5 years (from the manufacture date stamped on the tire sidewall), regardless of tread wear. Some here will disagree, but both tire and motorcycle industry feel that enough of the tire VOCs have evaporated to warrant its replacement. I can attest to that logic after having replaced my 5+ year old OEM Bridgestones that showed minimal tread wear, but were tracking and sliding all over the place. My new Metzelers will probably suffer the same fate; death by age, not by tread wear.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement