My fall winter project - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

My fall winter project

Hi guys.
I have a 91 vn750 that I bought to get some riding experience. Of course now it's become a project lol. I plan to do the ear shave, new paint job, fork seals, spline lube, rear brake, and pull both carbs to have them inspected or rebuilt and obviously have new jets installed. My question is where can you get the kit for the ear shave? I see that shermcycle website has it for 240 bucks!! I need coasters and filters and jets. Anybody know where you can get this stuff? Thanks a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 01:07 PM

Send a PM to Lance328

Rook
Conway, AR
VROC # 30581
WBRA #90237-1
2009 1700 Nomad (mine)
2003 VN750 "Prozac" (now hers)
25'000 miles at purchase
Coastered
Ears shaved
Cobra exhaust

So, why is a raven like a writing desk?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Did that, havn't heard back. So I pulled the mufflers off today and I see why you guys call that crossover thing a goat belly. Holy crap. Yanked that off and now decided I'm going to have to do something about exhaust. When you "degoat", do you just get new pipe to fit where the goat was, or is a whole aftermarket setup a better idea. Just trying to get ideas while it's apart and slowly telling the wife what the bike needs so she doesn't murder me lol.

Oh, and how does that frickin surge tank come out? I've cut some off but still stuck. did you guys pull that coolant hose that runs over it? Thanks

Last edited by Freedom; 09-07-2010 at 02:34 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
Hi guys.
I have a 91 vn750 that I bought to get some riding experience. Of course now it's become a project lol. I plan to do the ear shave, new paint job, fork seals, spline lube, rear brake, and pull both carbs to have them inspected or rebuilt and obviously have new jets installed. My question is where can you get the kit for the ear shave? I see that shermcycle website has it for 240 bucks!! I need coasters and filters and jets. Anybody know where you can get this stuff? Thanks a lot
Like anything else, it depends on how much you want to spend. The coasters are very easy to make yourself. Take the reed valve off and use it as a template to make the coasters. I imagine you could bolt a rectangular piece of flat stock up, if that's all you had.
The K&N filters are available all over the net and probably local as well. They are a little pricey thou (IMHO) I went with a single filter mounted under the gas tank, but most people go with the pod filters. The carb jets I got local as well.
The exhaust can be 'modified' by removing/destroying the baffles, or some just drill holes in the ends. The goat belly can me removed (and probably should) and replaced with two pieces of pipe. I went with the Vance and Hines Cruzers and love them. They look great (never blue) and sound respectable without being overly obnoxious.
I did the coasters for free, The air filter was around $20 (plus maybe $10 in coolant mods) The jets were around $15, and the Cruzers were around $300.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Ok, well still not sure what to do for the ear shave stuff, but I'm in no hurry. I did, however, pull off my final drive today and saw there WAS nice looking splines there! So, I need to clean it up and put some new lube. Is brake clean ok to clean it. And is it like honda moly 60 or something. I'll search it. Finally, something went right on this bike. So, Lance328, I'm looking for you.

Next question, my rear brake adjuster was all the way at the end of the threads. But there is still probably half brake shoe life left. It seemed to hardly work. Is this normal, or is something wrong? Thanks.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 11:20 PM
1985 VN-700

Somewhere in here I saw a Crossover pipe made for the Vulcan to replace the Goat Belly. Im gonna pull my motor this winter. I need to fix up the ACCT problem, touch up the motor. Im not sure if I am going to shave it though. By the way the only way I could get my surge tank in after I put the motor in the forst time was to take the motor back out. Unless you remove it in pieces I dont see it coming out too easy
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, it came out in pieces lol. Have to do the ear shave now, although I always wanted to. I think I'm going to get the V&H cruisers, although I am wondering, are they the whole exhaust, like right off the motor?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 11:53 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Good news on the rear splines!
The brake cleaner should be fine to use on the splines and driveshaft connector. I believe it doesn`t leave any residue.

Yes, Honda Moly 60 lube seems to be the #1 choice here.

On the "hardly working" rear brake, are the actuating cam and any other moving parts, seized up at all, or moving freely?

Not sure why the rear brake adjuster is so close to the end of the threads.
Is there any chance it has been broken or cut shorter?
(If you think it might be, measure the length and post it so one of us can measure ours and compare it.)

Where did the brake wear indicator point to on the hub?

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Splines lubed, rear brake adjusted so it works now, tire back on and all buttoned up. On to the next thing on the list! Nice when a plan starts coming together. Oh, I used Honda Moly 60 that a friend of mine has from doing the splines on his honda st1100 and his newer st1300.

Bike is sold, thanks for the help guys. Ride safe.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
I need coasters and filters and jets. Anybody know where you can get this stuff? Thanks a lot
I made these from a piece of aluminum I had around the shop. Aluminum is easy to work with and you can get a chunk anywhere.

My filters are EMGO for $10 each.

My pipes are Sportster XL. eBay also $10 + S&H. You can find a H pipe to replace the goat or have a shop make some slip on header extensions.

Have fun,

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters