Wrenching - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Wrenching

I haven't had my Vulcan all that long - not quite 3 weeks. So far, I really like it.

I've read thru many threads here (this site, and the folks here, are a great resource), including the Verses. I'm planning to dive into the spline lube procedure when I get back from a backpacking trip.

As I get ready for that -- it looks intimidating -- I've done some very minor work on the bike:

Installed LED taillight board and super white (4100K) headlamp.

Replaced slightly bent clutch lever. I bent it the day I brought the bike home, trying to turn it around in the garage and it hit the side of my truck. Got a replacement for $15.

Will install floorboards after my trip.

Will do an oil change and replace plugs soon too.

How often do folks change brake fluid, cables and hoses?

I also added Seafoam on this tank.

Last edited by peter; 08-20-2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: I should have posted this in Maintenance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 10:43 PM
gun slinger

Garage
when doing the lof make sure you clean the screen behind the spring after you take the drain plug out ..... i changed my for fluid when i got the bike ( it sat for 4 years prior) get the AGM battery ( trust me on this !!!!!!!) install ngk spark plugs ) tryed autolight corss ref. plugs worked for 500 miles . i bled the fron brakes since like i said she sat ( and i had the spring in hte master cylinder get weak) it caused my brak light to flicker running down the road . check the final drive fluid ( somewhat like checking a standard trans fluid leve in a car . make sure your tires are at the proper psi . and basically roll out and have "safe " fun... though this is what i have been doing for the last 1000 miles

2010' voyager

2005 1600 nomad sold

1987 kawasaki vulcan 750 SOLD

1985 kawasaki vulcan 700 parts bike maybe
lots of hand guns
3 cagers doors kicked in
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks.
Yes, I also replaced the flooded battery with an AGM.
Checked all fluid levels.
Ordered spark plug end caps from Dennis Kirk. Will make new wires and install when I change plugs.
I check tire pressure before each ride. Planning to change the original Bridgestones with ME880s this fall (110/90 front and 170/80 rear).

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 02:07 AM

Dangit!!!!!! Your post just reminded me that I forgot to buy the oil for the bike! lol I went to Wal Mart today (actually even went to TWO Wal Marts) and I completely forgot that I wanted to look for the Rotella oil.

It's not a big deal for most guys on here, but I gotta cross the border to get to a Wal Mart!! Standing in line for 2+ hours in 110-120 degree heat, with no A/C!!

Really sucks to have forgotten u_u

Sorry about the small rant lol it just hit me when I read your post lol. I've had my Vulcan for about... 2 weeks, maybe... I was waiting to go to the U.S. to get the oil and spark plugs to do a tune up. Now I'm gonna have to wait even more.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 07:04 AM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceal View Post
Dangit!!!!!! Your post just reminded me that I forgot to buy the oil for the bike! lol I went to Wal Mart today (actually even went to TWO Wal Marts) and I completely forgot that I wanted to look for the Rotella oil.

It's not a big deal for most guys on here, but I gotta cross the border to get to a Wal Mart!! Standing in line for 2+ hours in 110-120 degree heat, with no A/C!!

Really sucks to have forgotten u_u

Sorry about the small rant lol it just hit me when I read your post lol. I've had my Vulcan for about... 2 weeks, maybe... I was waiting to go to the U.S. to get the oil and spark plugs to do a tune up. Now I'm gonna have to wait even more.
where you from ceal? update your profile in the used conrol panel!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 07:16 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Ceal & Peter, go ahead and get the Mobil-1 or whatever brand Synthetic gear lube and change the final drive fluid, it don't hold but a little (3-4 oz. ???) up to the bottom of the fill hole so the cost is very minimal, and no sense running contaminated fluid...
The fluid you drain will be as black as night, and the new will be about clear, and if you don't think the old fluid was contaminated just let it sit for about a week and look at the fine metal particals in the bottom of your catch container... You'll get the picture...lol...
One bottle contains a bunch of changes, so a very cheap & worth while service, just let it drain as your oil does and change both......
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the tip Old Dog... I haven't used the bike much because the battery isn't too good either. I gotta order a new one and it'll take a few days to get here.

Also, I'm from Mexico, I live right at the border with the westernmost part of Arizona. Takes about half an hour to get to California. I'll go update my profile lol, I just always neglect updating profiles everywhere xD
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

While you're at WalMart, might want to pick up a Super Tech ST7317 oil filter or two for the bike. Made by Champion.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 04:56 PM

Yea, I had written down the oil filter part number, the oil name and the spark plug part number for when I went to the U.S., but I was worried about time cause I had a gig later that day and I completely forgot about the parts lol.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceal View Post
Thanks for the tip Old Dog... I haven't used the bike much because the battery isn't too good either. I gotta order a new one and it'll take a few days to get here.

Also, I'm from Mexico, I live right at the border with the westernmost part of Arizona. Takes about half an hour to get to California. I'll go update my profile lol, I just always neglect updating profiles everywhere xD
I may be wrong but you might be the first member from mexico I've seen. lot of canadians. netherlands, and many more from overseas.

welcome to the group!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
Sponsored Links
Advertisement