1986 project bike - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

1986 project bike

I bought this bike about two months ago, it had 28,600 miles on it, I've put an additional 500 on it since I bought it.

This is what it looked like when I bought it:

It backfired all over the place, it was hard to start, the cam chain tensioners were making all sorts of noise, the fork seals were leaking, the clutch cable was sticking, the seat foam was shot, and those handlebars, foam grips and mickey mouse ear mirrors had to go.

This is what it currently looks like:

Thanks to this site, all of my issues were relatively easy to fix. after hours or lurking and searching through old posts and the Vulcan verses, I've managed to bring the bike to a reliable daily driver. I've capped the reed valves with rubber caps, removed the air valve under the seat and turned my air screws out three turns, that stopped the popping. I bought a maintenance free battery and installed iridium spark plugs, it starts right up now. I took out the cam chain tensioners and re-installed, and installed new upper cam chain springs. I rebuilt the forks, installed a new clutch cable, new handle bars, new mirrors, new grips and a seat off of a 2008 Vulcan 900 custom.

I still have some more to do to it, I want to relocate the rear turn signals and clean up the rear fender, it needs new tires, there are a few little tweaks I need to do here and there, and eventually I'll probably put louder horns on it. Also, there is a vibration that occurs between 3,000 and 4,000 rpm, it stops vibrating when I pull in the clutch. I've checked the engine mount, and they are not dried out and rotten, I just need to check the carb sync and see if that's the issue, or if it's the internal balancer that is worn out.

One thing that I don't like about the new seat is that it is really wide, and I don't think it looks the best since our bikes are so skinny. I think if the tank was wider it would look better. Oh, and my handlebars touch the tank when I need to turn the bike around in a tough spot, and I should have bought bars with more rise in them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 10:17 AM

Very nice bike. It looks like a HD Sporty. When you put the drag bar on did you have to get shorter cables or just relocate them so they don't crimp? One thing I did on my 93' exaust to even the pipes up side to side was install the left side muffler direct to the head pipe. It looks much better with the pipes even on both sides plus makes easier rear tire removal.

01' VN750
Jardine cross over exaust
Kyriakin grips and foot pegs
Modified seat and backrest
Windshield
Luggage rack
Crash bar with Kyriakin pegs and extensions
Kumho 758 165/80-15 CT rear Dunlop 404 110/90-19 front
Coastered and air/fuel screws at 2.5 turns
Spline lube

93' VN750 getting TLC
Decals and mirrors
Coastered and air/fuel screws at 2.5 turns
ACCTs to MCCTs
Degoated with Harley mufflers
Duro 110-90-19 front 150-90-15 rear
Pick-up coils at .020
Spline lube
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
I like it!!! seat doesnt look bad but I too might even those pipes up.

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 10:43 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to luigit
bike looks great i like the seat. however your next step is loose the gauges and go digital!!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 10:46 AM

Nice bike man, I like it. I don't usually like the look of drag bars but they don't look bad on this bike at all. Good work.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Young Gun

Digital gauges would be a nice touch. Ours are so big! (but useful) Got a link on doin that?

1990 VN 750
First (hopefully last) time in the shop:
Carb rebuild New brakes front and back New radiator fan
I've done:
Spline Lube New (used - non-leaky) Gas Tank New Fork Seals New Pirelli tires New Yuasa Maintenance Free Battery
Fresh Dexcool coolant Upgraded Shunt-type R/R (Relocated) Headlight Bypass Stator tested - PASSED
Clutch Swap - EBC Street Racer Frictions with new eBayed steels ACCT to MCCT conversion
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I like it, including the seat. If that seat feels good to your butt, I wouldn't care if it had ugly written all over it. There's a lot to say for comfort, and the stock seat didn't do it for me. Oh, welcome to the forum too.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 11:41 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to luigit
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
Very nice bike. It looks like a HD Sporty. When you put the drag bar on did you have to get shorter cables or just relocate them so they don't crimp? One thing I did on my 93' exaust to even the pipes up side to side was install the left side muffler direct to the head pipe. It looks much better with the pipes even on both sides plus makes easier rear tire removal.
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and the positive comments.

I used the factory cables. they are a bit long, but none of the cables seemed stressed or felt like they were going to crimp.

I hadn't even noticed that the pipes were uneven.

Here is a couple close ups of the cables and the wires. the brake line was a bit tight, and everything seems a bit sloppy with all the extra length, but I didn't want to shorten anything up in case I decide to change the bars again.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 09:12 AM

What needed to be done to get the new seat to fit?

1992 Vulcan 750.
Ear shaved and re-jetted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement