need advice - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

need advice

my father ran across a 2003 vn750 for sale today.he was interested in it until i told him the infamous spline story.now hes scared to mess with it.the price is marked at 2500.very clean.im not sure on the mileage.does anyone have any suggestions as far as finding out the contition of the splines.would asking the seller to have the splines checked be too much to ask?any tell tale signs that splines are going out.all input and suggestions are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Old Truck Junkie

you could try setting it on the center stand, put shifter into first gear and work the rear tire back and forth and feel, and listen for play at the spline joint.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Not sure at what point unlubed splines begin to show noticeable wear, but mine had 6,000+ and were still ok.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99vn750 View Post
my father ran across a 2003 vn750 for sale today.he was interested in it until i told him the infamous spline story.now hes scared to mess with it.the price is marked at 2500.very clean.im not sure on the mileage.does anyone have any suggestions as far as finding out the contition of the splines.would asking the seller to have the splines checked be too much to ask?any tell tale signs that splines are going out.all input and suggestions are welcome.

Tell your dad not to be so paranoid. There are a host of problems ANY used bike can have, and if buying a used Vulcan I would be more concerned with the charging system working than the splines. You did not say how many miles the bike has on it, nor it seems did anyone ask the seller if he has himself done a spline lube, or had one done.

ALL shaft drive bikes have the same issue with needing the splines lubed properly, and it really is not that hard to pull off the wheel and look at them if one is truely intrested in the bike....which I would do for ANY shaft drive bike before buying no matter what the seller said...

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

great replies.thanks guys.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 09:12 AM

Absolutely agree with KM! Nothing to fear, just look it over good and by all means, make them pull the rear wheel so you can see the spline condition if at all possible. If it's not a honda dealer, take a tube of moly 60 with you if that is possible and get it lubed while it is apart! Even if you have to pay for labor for them to pull it off, it is worth knowing. I'd offer the labor $$ with the understanding that if the splines are shot, they eat it...

Even if they are shot, I'd probably still buy it knowing that parts bikes pop up and used final drives, especially from older bikes are good replacements. My 02 ended up with an 86 final drive on it, in perfect shape, and still going strong, as my son now owns it...

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 12:05 PM

I just added an 04 to the stable with about 17K on the clock. Pulled the rear wheel off a few days after I got it home, and out dumped some of the dreaded rusty colored powder. Everything was still in good shape though, so I cleaned it up threw some moly on it and all is well.

Mom, I'm not wearing my helmet only for the purpose of taking this picture and
the background was digitally blurred to make it look like I'm going really fast.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 01:06 PM

Don't know if you've ever considered yourself lucky, but I would! That's way too close... I know the feeling you had "before" you got to see beyond the red powder!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement