Do you have The Right Stuff? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Do you have The Right Stuff?

I went into NAPA to buy some Seafoam. By the way, I think it works, though its too soon to tell. But back to the subject at hand.

I replaced the stator on my 1990 750 and shortly afterwards, it started to leak badly from around the gear shifter. I'm guessing that the oil seal in there must have failed. Its not really that bad when I'm riding around, though you can tell that there is some oil around the bottom of the engine. However, I can't use the sidestand or the oil really comes out. Is this oil seal pretty easy to change out? What are some possiblities as to while it failed after I did the stator replacement? Might I have bumped the shifter and damaged the seal? Is this possible?

Now for the next question. It was a bear to get the engine out, and put it back in. I'm alone, so I have to laugh when the manual says to get someone to help you pull the engine. (FYI, I used the engine tilt method that someone sent to me, if you are that person, thank you. May I have the instructions again?) But again, I wander. Basically, I know I have to replace the seal, but I'm terrified that I'll mess up and the gasket will leak next. Then I'll have to pull the engine again. So, while in the NAPA store, I found this product called "The Right Stuff." Supposedly its used as an OEM sort of thing by Ford and others.

A can costs about the price of the two gaskets that I'll be replacing when I take apart the engine again.

The can says:

Quote:
The Right Stuff seals instantly. Forms reliable, long lastin elastomeric rubber gaskets. Sensor safe. Powertrain fluid resistant (oil, coolant and ATF). Used on OEM production lines. Outperforms precut gaskets.
*. . . Makes 8-10 fourt cylinder valve cover gaskets.
*Makes any side or shape gasket for automotive applications (valve covers, oil pans, pumps, etc)
*Operates in environments to 450 F continous, 500 intermittent.
*No leaks in over a million miles of fleet testing.

. . . NOTE: Not for use as a head gasket or on parts in contact with gasoline.
Looks like some good stuff to me. What do the rest of you think? The replacement seal and some other parts that I noticed were missing from the bike when I took it apart are due in this week. I'll probably start taking the bike apart the following weekend.

I'd sure appreciate any tips though regarding the shifter oil seal and this gasket stuff. I don't want to have to pull that engine again any time soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 08:36 AM

Right Stuff is right up there with Sea Foam in my book as about a perfect product. Several shops around here swear by it and wont let anything else in the door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement