Two kinds of bikers - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Two kinds of bikers

Always heard the phrase there are two kinds of bikers...those that have been down and those that are going down. I am feeling pretty confident out there and I hear that needs to be tempered alot with caution. So I want to hear that there are a number of riders out there how have a number of riding years without an accident. So I have two questions: 1) For those that have never been down how long is your streak and what do you contribute your good fortune too? and 2) For those bikers that have been down what happened and what could/should you have done differently?

1986 VN 750
20,000 miles
MF Battery
Replaced Stock Turn signals
Starter Clutch
NGK plugs
MT66 Pirelli's
Seafoam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:20 PM

I'm 62 and started riding at 14. Never put one down, My dad raced an Indian, and taught me how to ride defensively.

2004 VN750 purchased 7/21/09, with 5490 miles. Plexistar 2 Windshield (remounted) -
Willie and Max Gray Thunder Braided Max Pax mounted on rear luggage rack, Slant Saddlebags, & Tool bag, - Iron Rider magnetic tank bag - Passenger backrest with lockable compartment - Replaced missing horn - Replaced both tires with ME880s - Lubed splines - Magna Power ETX15L Gell Battery - Replaced stator & voltage regulator 2012
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

So there is hope glad to hear it and thanks for the reply!!

1986 VN 750
20,000 miles
MF Battery
Replaced Stock Turn signals
Starter Clutch
NGK plugs
MT66 Pirelli's
Seafoam

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:29 PM
MANIC MECHANIC

Send a message via MSN to vulcanjoe Send a message via Yahoo to vulcanjoe
I had been riding for 5 years when i dropped mine It was raining and a school bus ran a stop sign and turned left in front of me.

34k so far
VN750.com member #613
Keep the shiny side up
coastered
de-goat and baffles removed
jetted 42-150 2 shims
Earshaved with unifilters
inside of tank coated
spline lube
long Beach Blue Pearl Paint 4/07
Shindengen FH012AA r/r
TPE stator
Exide sc30lfa Battery 28ah 445cca
Saddlemen saddlebags
2001 HD fatboy solo seat
Custom taillight & rear turn signals
Fergy's coil relay mod
Fiamm El-Grande high/low tone horns
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Glenn C.

I am 26, been riding since i was 18. Never really laid my bike down, had a little incident at a gas station, the kickstand hit the concrete divider and didn't go down properly and i laid the bike down, was able to kinda catch it so it didn't smash so hard on the concrete, no damage done.

I really don't believe in that saying, two kinds of bikers, those that have been down and those that are going down. It really doesn't make sense. That's like saying, there's two types of people, those who are dead and those who are going to die.
I mean its kinda blunt logic and kinda stupid logic at the same time. Obviously if you have been down, then you are in the first group, and if you haven't been down, then you are in the second group, but who's to say there's not a third group, the ones who never go down. (And trike riders don't really count for you smartbutts, lol)

I think another issue is how many of those that have been down, get back up and keep riding.
I know a guy who laid his bike down due to some gravel in a turn, he said he will NEVER get back on a motorcycle again. But i also know riders who have been in bad bad crashes and still get back in the saddle as soon as they can.

Glenn C
Alexandria, MN
My VN750 Page
VN750 Stator Plates and Products

2001 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750
1986 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 (being restored)
1986 Kawasaki 454LTD (being restored)
1985 Kawasaki 454LTD (being restored)
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Old Truck Junkie

I have been riding since I was 16. The only bike that I went down on was a minnie bike, more than once. I ussually ride the speed limit. Slow down at night and have extra running lights. I also ussually run with bright beam on during the day. Expect the cagers to run stops or pull away from stops and turn left in front of you.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to KIMMERLING
I like the three degrees of separation theory as listed in "Ride Hard Ride Smart" by Pat Hahn.
At the bottom of the pyramid is defensive riding strategy, middle is training skills, and top is riding gear.
I just ordered my motoport kevlar air mesh II jacket. Supposed to be 10times stronger than leather...its for the one time i do go down.

2011 Suzuki VSTROM DL650 with ABS Purchased Jan 28 now with 39,000miles WRECKED JAN 12 ,2013
"To strive, to seek, to find, not to yield."
05 Vulcan 750 26,050miles *Traded in*
Ventura guards
MadStadt mount
Givi windshield/Heated grips
Backoff
Riderbeads
Givi 52 topcase
Pat Walsh Crash bars skid plate
OEM centerstand
Headlight modulator
Battery tender
Aquarium thermometer with forward probe mount
Admore LED Lighting/Givi E36N panniers
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 12:25 AM
gun slinger

Garage
dritbikes oh god yes i crashed lots of times ... on the street not yet . im 26 first bike i rode was a honda 80 at 14 then a 125 a 175 a 250 4 stroker an old 550 enduro <sp a big full dresser harley a honda cbr1000 rr << scared the liveing $hit out of me a kz750 < actually rode that the night before i bought the vulcan .again never layed a street bike down yet

knock on wood

2010' voyager

2005 1600 nomad sold

1987 kawasaki vulcan 750 SOLD

1985 kawasaki vulcan 700 parts bike maybe
lots of hand guns
3 cagers doors kicked in

Last edited by centurynick; 08-06-2010 at 12:29 AM.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 01:08 AM

Garage
Got my first bike at 19 and never laid it down, took off riding for about 20 years now I've been back at it for about 5 yrs now and still upright.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 03:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to RaisingCain
So I laid my bike down December of 2008. We had nice weather out here in Washington for a few days and then it rained. I hit an oil slick on the road while I was on my brakes. Bike took a fall quicker then I could think! Thank god I made it go to the right and not the left cause I would not be here right now! I would have been a smear on a set of truck tires! Anyways ended up blowing my left knee. ACL Reconstruction and had to fix a few meniscus tears and remove 50% of my cartilage! Anyways My surgeon told me that if I damage it again I would be looking at full knee replacement! Anyways said screw it gotta die sometime and hopped back on for this season! Sad to say I did more damage to me then the bike!!! Bike took it on the highway pegs and the side bags! Just a few scrapes did not even have to replace them!!!

Mike "CoolMan" Cain

'96 750 "Able"
New Handlebars
Kuryakyn Grips
Kuryakyn levers
Kuryakyn offset highway pegs
Kawasaki Engine Guard
Bag stays
Cheap soft bags
Ear shave
Coastered
MF Battery w/ tender