Shaky Gauges - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Shaky Gauges

Hello Group,

You may want to read this if your gauges are shaky, rusted or falling apart.

Thought I would let you guys in on some issues I have been having with my gauges. I just purchased my VN700 6 days ago BTW. The tachometer gauge’s rear housing was falling off, the screw in the very back was all the way in, however, it was not actually attached to anything. Also, the same gauge would shake violently when riding because it was not securely mounted inside the center instrument panel. So, the two problems went accordingly…

I removed the front headlight, instrument panel main bolts, instrument panel backing, etc. to start off with. Upon removing the Tachometer gauge backing, I noticed that the plastic piece that the backing screwed into was broken and, apparently, had been “fixed, lol” before with some kind of cheap glue. I ended up using epoxy and dabbing a couple dots around the inside of the housing and then holding in place on the gauge until it dried, works and looks perfect.

CAUTION TIGHTENING THE GAUGES:
Now, as far as tightening the tachometer’s securing bolt under the instrument panel so it would stop shaking…yeah, small amount of pressure and the screw snapped! Wow, that sucked! The screw is press fit in so I had to drill through the left over screw and screw head and use a new screw and bolt to re-attach the tachometer. Unfortunately, I did not have the right hardware, good lighting, loc-tite, or time (late for class) so the new bolt has already shaken loose and is just as bad as it was before. Must now purchase the correct hardware and start over, this time will be less stressful and done correctly. Moral of the story, be gentle on these bolts!, use loc-tite and a lock washer also.

Another problem I am going to fix at the same time, since I will have the gauges off, is the rust issue on the 1” chrome ring around the face of the gauges. The speedometer especially is rusted pretty badly. I plan to sand down the rings on both gauges with light grit sandpaper, tape everything off, and then paint either flat or gloss black (haven’t decided yet). I think this will add a nice accent to the gauges and it is sure to look better than the rust! I will try to include a picture when I am done and let you know how it turned out.

Adam
’85 VN700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 04:18 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Do let us know Adam. I for one am insterested in seeing your finished product (with a how-to of course =) ) Mine are terrible as well, I tried some chrome polish but about all that did was...well nothing really.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 08:11 PM

thanks for your post, my tach shakes pretty bad and was going to ask the dealership when I bring it for its first service..
My spedometer housing is fine though

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 07:03 AM
Search Goddess

Another trip to our new pjoto gallery and you can see the piece of L shaped aluminum that I used to brace my tach and speedo
https://www.vn750.com/photopost/showp...oto=26&cat=503
Also provides a nice spot to mount a voltmeter or clock
https://www.vn750.com/photopost/showp...oto=25&cat=503

The rusted metal rings do look nice painted a matte black and blend in well with the rest of the black on the bike

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Hey, that's a good idea Dianna. It looks good too. I was thinking I would like to add a voltmeter and a clock sometime in the future and that would be a good way to do it.

I agree, matte black should look the best; I was looking at my bike last night and decided that gloss would look bad. Hopefully I can get to that project this weekend, however, it’s finals time (college) so I am very busy. I will upload photos when I am done though.

Thanks for the photos and the advice!

Adam
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 05:04 AM

I too have a very loose tach on my 06. I took it back to the dealer and they told me that it is normal for the tach to be that loose. So taking their word I left. I met another guy on a 750 vulcan and asked him about his tach. His was just as loose as mine. Could there be a factory defect in the mounting system? I havent taken mine apart yet, but I will soon.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 07:15 AM

"loose" is a very nebulus term. i have a 2000 and the guages vibrate when riding, but nothing that makes them unreadable. i believe there has to be some play in them otherwise they would rattle themselves apart. so unless they are floppy around i wouldn't go real crazy. Dianna's brace will work also a member of the yahoo group "knifemaker1954" use to make a dash for our bikes but he has stopped now. you can go to his profile in yahoo and get the plans for them yourself and fab one. that is what i am doing . i am going to use a piece of 3mm carbon fiber. congrats on the new bike.

ride safe
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 08:53 AM
Geek

My 05 tach rattles a little. Speedo is ok. I like Dianna's brace and will do that when I have some time.

Ron from Jersey
2005 VN750
HellFire windshield
Kaw extended backrest
Cobra exhaust
Re-located stator wires
Side bags
15,000 Miles July/2012
It's PAID OFF ! May 2009
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 09:47 AM
"ya can't live forever"

rusty gauges

Re: the rust. I live near the ocean in South Florida and the rust on those rings is a constant problem. I have tried a product called "Wink" and it does a terriffic job at removing light rust. It is available at Tru- Value hardware and several other locations that sell household cleaning products.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 08:47 PM

Another tip for rattling, I put a 1 1/4" diameter 3/8" thick rubber grommet between the guages and the sides of the idiot light pod and no more shaking. I may have to put a dab of silicone under the one on the trach as it tries to slip out every once and a while. Will post a pic later, if your not looking they are hardly noticable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement