I got it running!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

I got it running!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So after the bike sitting for 4 years disassembled and 3 months of spare time working/tinkering I GOT IT RUNNING!!!!!!!!

It actually started with only one choke plunger working. But I worked the throttle to get it warmed up. Once at operating temp it ran great. Now I am excited, I have to ride her --It's been 4 years.

So with no mirrors (on workbench), expired tag, gas tank and seat held on by my fat butt, and low tires I rode her around the block. (understand that as illegal as the bike is, around the block passes the county jail.

I got back and looked her over, she is leaking oil from the headgaskets on both heads!

Can one step forward and two steps back be any more frustrating??
Since when do heads have to be retorqued after a heat cycle??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 10:30 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
at least you know it has some promise and potential!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Had time to look...

Ok, so... After some much neglected yard work got done I went to look at my heap. turns out there is a hole in each head that is leaking. This is weird.

The hole is in the same location front and rear, exhaust side below the breather tube (plug for rear head) just above the head/cylinder mating surface. The oil flows out slowly so it is not a pressure port. there are no visible threads in the hole and a review in my Clymer manual and parts list online shows there is nothing in this hole. I have to assume there was a plug in these holes that came out when i was doing the valve job.

I have some gear/axle RTV that gets real hard when it cures. i'm going to try it unless anyone has a better suggestion or knows what the holes are supposed to be plugged with.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I'd wait until someone responds in more detail. I remember there have been some problems with RTV getting into the crankcase, but don't recall the details.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 05:41 PM
The Reanimater

Don't Plug the Holes.....

If I remember right those are the Water drain holes for the Spark plugs. Pull the inserts out and replace the O-rings, should fix the problem. Oil is seeping past the rings and draining out the hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modtop View Post
Ok, so... After some much neglected yard work got done I went to look at my heap. turns out there is a hole in each head that is leaking. This is weird.

The hole is in the same location front and rear, exhaust side below the breather tube (plug for rear head) just above the head/cylinder mating surface. The oil flows out slowly so it is not a pressure port. there are no visible threads in the hole and a review in my Clymer manual and parts list online shows there is nothing in this hole. I have to assume there was a plug in these holes that came out when i was doing the valve job.

I have some gear/axle RTV that gets real hard when it cures. i'm going to try it unless anyone has a better suggestion or knows what the holes are supposed to be plugged with.

JaY

"Veronica"
2002 VN750 Vulcan
Rebuilt Engine
ACCTs lubed w/TOC Springs
Pick-up Coils Gapped at .018"
Splines Lubed
Deka MF AGM EXT15L Battery
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs
R/R Relocation Fix
New Rear Rack
Stock Seat Repadded
Ext-BackRest
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthill524 View Post
Don't Plug the Holes.....

If I remember right those are the Water drain holes for the Spark plugs. Pull the inserts out and replace the O-rings, should fix the problem. Oil is seeping past the rings and draining out the hole.
Damn!.. beat me to it!,,,LOL
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by modtop View Post
So after the bike sitting for 4 years disassembled and 3 months of spare time working/tinkering I GOT IT RUNNING!!!!!!!!

It actually started with only one choke plunger working. But I worked the throttle to get it warmed up. Once at operating temp it ran great. Now I am excited, I have to ride her --It's been 4 years.

So with no mirrors (on workbench), expired tag, gas tank and seat held on by my fat butt, and low tires I rode her around the block. (understand that as illegal as the bike is, around the block passes the county jail.

I got back and looked her over, she is leaking oil from the headgaskets on both heads!

Can one step forward and two steps back be any more frustrating??
Since when do heads have to be retorqued after a heat cycle??
Is the oil coming from the head gasket or is it from the valve cover gasket??
The valve cover gasket is the one that is at the upper most part of the engine.

Sorry I did not read far enough down.

02 honda sabre 1100

Last edited by niterider; 08-01-2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: dissregard
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

O.K. Guys Thanks for the help. yes it is leaking from the water drain holes. A very jap engineering trick. I removed the spark plug tubes and cleaned out the rtv I applied. Inspection found the o-rings on the inner ends of the tubes are flattened out. So I will add there part numbers to my needs list and impatiently wait.

But, again - THANKS for the help, I truly appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement