eithr Im crazy or My bike is possessed - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

eithr Im crazy or My bike is possessed

okay so heres My new problem

mybike is running rough couging backfiring. only started after repacing plugs
in the past week I have
repaired ignition switch
re routed gas lline
re routed hose to right ear box
new plugs
new throttle cables
re routed choke cable
ran lots of seafoam through
bike ran like a top for 2 miles then quickly went downhilll from there
it sputters surges back fires. tried wd 40 for air leaks seems like problem is in rear cylinder. when we reomove one of the rear plugs the bike settles down. but we can remove either on on the rear. the bike runs steadier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 08:45 AM

First .. I would recheck your gap on your plugs...then check for a pinched hose on the carbs and breathing system....have you turned your fuel/air screws out to 2 1/2 turns?.. also check your pulg wires.. could be grounding out someplace....it may be a simple case of needing to do the "marbeling" trick.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

planning on doing all those things today. Its been 100 here most of week and hot is no fun earning to work on a bike. it seems like everytime we fix something something else is wrong. we will run out of things to fix soon..I hope

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 08:57 AM

Man I had the same issues with rebuilding my "parts bike"...1 thing led to another..but she is running like mad now... old bikes sitting for a long time, slitly poor design in some areas and wanting to custom things.. makes for a long jurney but its worth it...where are you located at?..its been hitting close to 100 here in Oklahoma too.. if I dont work on the bike butt crack early in the morning it dosnt get fixed..LOL
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

living in alabama
Yes when the bike runs well it realy runs well
this is My first used bike. I remember now why I always bought new bikes before.
but this ha been an interesting Journey so far
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey View Post
living in alabama
Yes when the bike runs well it realy runs well
this is My first used bike. I remember now why I always bought new bikes before.
but this ha been an interesting Journey so far
East Alabama by any chance? Lance, a member here, has probably worked on, repaired and resurrected more of these bikes than anyone. If you can't get it fixed yourself, he is a great alternative and his rates are very reasonable. He's in the Atlanta area.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 06:11 PM

You know, this may seem strange, but I bought a project bike a couple of years ago that behaved somewhat similarly to what you've described in previous threads (surge-and-die behavior or just crazy-scary surging) and the problem was that the surge tank itself had a small crack in it. I was unable to find it until I was pulling the engine and doing some other things to the bike, but it turned out to be a hairline crack along a seam.

Failing that, double-check where your rear carb boot goes into the tank - there might be a leak there, or a crack in that boot (or in the tank where the boot gets inserted).

C
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
You know, this may seem strange, but I bought a project bike a couple of years ago that behaved somewhat similarly to what you've described in previous threads (surge-and-die behavior or just crazy-scary surging) and the problem was that the surge tank itself had a small crack in it. I was unable to find it until I was pulling the engine and doing some other things to the bike, but it turned out to be a hairline crack along a seam.

Failing that, double-check where your rear carb boot goes into the tank - there might be a leak there, or a crack in that boot (or in the tank where the boot gets inserted).
X2,,,, parts bike eques.. take it all apart.. be picky about how you put it all back together.. check everything make it run.. then do mods.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

we removed the after market inline fuel filters..replaced fuel lines. replaced spark wires on rear cylinder. routed vent hose under seat. adjusted air screw. ran like a top. drove 1 mile same problems sputtering back fire and loss of power.. when i tried to turn off and back on voltage was low and headlight would not come on,
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 07:54 PM

Those inline filters may have been on there to keep crud in the tank from reaching carbs.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement