Summer plans - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Summer plans

Anyone have any particular plans for riding this summer?

I'm riding a Varadero now - have about 4400 km on it. August 7-21 I'm riding down to Ontario to visit my parents. I plan to ride east into Saskatchewan and then cut down through Weyburn into N. Dakota, Minnesota to Milwaukee, take the ferry across into Michigan and then cross back at Sarnia.

In October I'm taking 3 weeks off and riding down to SoCal where a friend has a house. My wife will fly down to meet me there, We'll spend a week there and return the same way we came.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 10:47 AM

I don't have any long trips planned but I'm in the middle of relocating. Do you mind if I ask what you do for a living that you can take 3 weeks off to go touring? That's relatively unheard of down here unless you quit and get another job when you get back. Most of us don't get 3 weeks vacation in a year and if we do, we prolly ain't takin' it all at once. Just curious...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

I've been self-employed one way or another since 1992. For the past 8 years I've been in a business with a partner so we can cover each other for longer periods than we could if we each were running it alone.

I have a high need for autonomy. As scary as it was to go on my own, it was the best decision I ever made. It took me 18 years to realize that if I wasn't really happy as an employee, I should try to change my circumstances rather than keep trying to change myself.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 12:44 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Hey Phil, it is good to hear you are racking up some miles on your new Varadero. After your wreck last summer where the Vulcan was totaled and you both were banged up so bad, I wondered if you would be riding this year. I`m glad to know you are enjoying it again, although it is entirely understandable that D. is not ready to ride yet.

I took my laptop to Foothills Hospital at the end of June, for what turned into a 2 week stay, hoping I would be able to email you, among other activities, but was never able to connect to their wifi. I`m holding out hope now that we will be able to get together next summer for a ride, as this summer is again going to be only chair riding and websurfing for me.

Keep the shiny side up.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haithabu View Post
I've been self-employed one way or another since 1992. For the past 8 years I've been in a business with a partner so we can cover each other for longer periods than we could if we each were running it alone.

I have a high need for autonomy. As scary as it was to go on my own, it was the best decision I ever made. It took me 18 years to realize that if I wasn't really happy as an employee, I should try to change my circumstances rather than keep trying to change myself.
That's admirable not to mention fun. Glad to hear you're back up and running. I actually had plans to ride to Durango CO to visit my cuz but she ended up moving back to Philly before this summer started. I haven't done a loooong ride yet but I'm anxious to.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Hi Gord, I hope that hospital stay brought you a little further along the way to recovery. If it works for you, I might pop in on my way east around August 7.

I've altered my route to go south to Shelby MT, then all the way to Milwaukee on the secondaries. I decided I really didn't need to see Saskatchewan this time around. Keeping to the two lane highways will add a day to my trip, but I think will make it feel more like a proper journey and hopefully will allow me to meet more local people along the way.

I think Diane will be ready to get on the bike with me next spring. We've agreed that this year is for me to get back in the groove riding and become familiar with the bike before taking her two up again. With the trips I've planned, I should have 10,000 miles in by the time the snow flies.

Liberty, I hope you get a chance for a good run soon. The West is made for riding.

I've put 4,600 km on the bike, and so far very pleased with it. Took it out for a run yesterday evening. It cruises really smooth at 130 km/h (only 4500 rpm). That will make for easy miles on the trip. While passing by Lac des Arcs two sports bikes blew past me at a highly illegal speed. I briefly matched them just to show I could do it, then let them go on their way.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 12:24 PM

Nice, have a great trip brother, be safe!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I would love to have you visit Phil. Check your PMs for my phone number and email.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 12:59 AM

Summer 2010

On the 29th of July I'm making a 2k plus trip. Starting in Oregon through Idaho down to Salt Lake City for a family reunion. Brief cruise through Wyoming to visit dead parents than head for Colorado mountains.
Heading north after Denver to Mt. Rushmore than a day at the Sturgus Rally.
From there I'm heading west toward Yellowstone than jump back north up the Continental Divine toward Montana and the fine lands of northern Idaho forest
toward Washington State than drop back down to Oregon.
Plan on being home by the 12th of August...
Anyone wanna join me?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 09:34 AM

i so wish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that sounds super cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2002 vn750,7800 mile,homemade drag pipes,harley heratige seat,honda sissybar,led rear turn signals,
iridium plugs,marbled,110/90/19 kenda kruz front,
170/80/15 kenda kruz rear,saddlebags.
whats to come****handlebars,highway pegs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement