need harley seat advice - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to jdamato1
need harley seat advice

Just finished mounting a heritage softail seat to my near perfect vn750, yet I cant figure out how to set up the front tab where the seat locks under the fuel tank. Can I just screw a piece of flat stock into the seat and hope for the best or is there a better more secure way. Also when I drill the hole for the rear pillion seat do I drill into the taillight or remove the taillight and go aftermarket and just drill into the rear fender ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Can I just screw a piece of flat stock into the seat and hope for the best
most people rivet a piece of flat stock to the seat in the front... bend the piece into either a flat z shape, or a square u... the flat z is the easiest though.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

You lost me. Cant I just rivet it into the lower part of the seat and let it protrude into the fuel tank hoop ? Is there any pics ?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
First, yes you hit the same concept I was saying... I was just saying the the flat bar can't lay flush with the bottom of the seat, it needs to hang down a little bit so as to easily clear the center lip.

I can't take credit for this... Artimis has to take credit... but here is his blog on making his Harley Heritage seat fit the VN... now in my opinion he went a little overboard, but he was tailering the seat to suit his personal needs... but for what you need to do, this shows prety good...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 08:37 AM

as far as drilling into the tail light... I did it.. but I went all the way thru the fender as well... you ahve to be very carfull and stay between the bulbs (there is a chanle)...get a spacer.. I used a long 1/2 socket a stainless steel bolt and a wing nuts (put mine on the bottom to clean up the look)...I am useing a VN900 seat and have it set back a bit.. a friend is makeing me a "bibb" for it to cover up the openarea around thefront and sides of the seat.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone have any pics of the underside of the seat just so I can get some ideas? I know what you mean slim, just rivet a z shaped piece of flatstock into the prexisiting flatstock thats currently on the Harley seat but I would like to see some pics before I do it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
wow took me a minute to find it.. but here is the info you are loking for

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Giggity!

Garage
lol, I was just about to go get that from my album. The lighter metal under the "now" painted loop was an exsisting tab. I fastened to it. Depending on the year & such this may or may not be there. Good Luck!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck69 View Post
lol, I was just about to go get that from my album. The lighter metal under the "now" painted loop was an exsisting tab. I fastened to it. Depending on the year & such this may or may not be there. Good Luck!
For the life of me I couldn't remember who did this... but a little bit of digging I found your thread. I was hopeing you would have posted while I was digging...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement