Where's your breather filter? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Undercover Sportbiker

Where's your breather filter?

Yesterday I posted on another board a different option for a breather filter setup than the standard Emgo filter everyone typically recommends on my Ninja. One thing that happened immediately was a couple of people trying to argue that I'm going to get water in my airbox. This despite the fact that I pointed out that I don't ride in the rain, so therefore the only way water was getting in is if I dunked my bike in a lake, they were painfully insistent, going so far as to suggesting better ways of mounting it, including upside down, which would then allow any oil that should collect and drain back into the crank to just drip out on the engine, thus defeating the purpose of the filter.

Now let's take this to the next level. How much of a concern is this, really, for people who ride i nthe rain? I mean, the function of hte breather is to allow pressure to escape from the crank, so by design, water infiltrating should not be an issue. When I had my Vulcan, I zip tied it to the frame on the left side of the bike, theoretically putting it in a position where it could get wet if I rode in the rain.

Personally I think that the 2 guys were just over thinking the issue, in fact creating an issue when didn't really exist. On the bike in question, the breather is tucked deep under the carbs with plastics on each side. For reference, here is the setup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
I just used a lawn mower fuel filter and zip tied it underneath the gas tank and left one end open.There is also enough space to mount the horn in there also and I didn't see the sense in buying two filters or mounting them on the side of the frame when all it does as you say is vent pressure and I do ride in the rain ,if any body that is from the middle of the country tells you they don't ride in the wet,don't trust them .The weather changes so frequently you can be 5 miles from home in the sunshine and be in a storm that has been there an hour before you get home.I don't leave in the rain ,but I have to come home in it sometimes.Tell those guys they are full of it I have K&N pods and they stick out in the open and suck air through them the whole time I am riding and I haven't had any water related issues.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement