Distance Traveling Tips.... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Yahoo VN750 Group Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Pick
Distance Traveling Tips....

I've taken a number of 2500+ mile trips on my VN750 over the past 8 years. I thought I would share some comfort tips and other wisdom that I have learned, for those of you who intend to take long trips.

1. The Airhawk Medium Cruiser seat cushion is a must. No butt pain at all, no matter how many miles I ride. Mustang (or Corbin, if you like) is good, but nothing compares to the Airhawk.

2. I got some pricey socks, but they are great. "Sokz" made by Cima International (www.real-rider.com) - I wish I could afford to have about 10 pairs. They also make "Bodz" and "Hedz" for other parts of your body. I haven't tried them yet, but I'd like to.

3. Jockey GoMesh Midway Briefs -- best riding underwear ever. Trust me, I've tried a lot of different kinds. Can't speak for the ladies, but guys should not leave home without them. They really do make a difference, especially on hot days. Anti-Monkey Butt powder is good stuff, too.

4. Get some rain gear. Including something for your feet if you don't have waterproof boots. If you tour, you WILL ride in the rain. It's really not that bad if you're dressed properly.

5. Stop often and "sniff the daisies" as grambo would say, and while you're stopped, drink something (non-alcoholic, of course). Not only does it help to keep you alert and hydrated, it allows you to enjoy the local scenery.

6. Seek out little diners in small towns instead of chain restaurants in larger cities. Ask for the special of the day. They usually have great food at very reasonable prices, and each one is a unique experience. Listen to the regulars that are sitting there drinking coffee and shooting the bull. They are quite entertaining!

7. Take plenty of pictures and keep a log, because you think you will remember it all, but you won't.

8. Talk to the locals. Every town has at least one old fart who "used to have a bike" and "rode the h*ll out of it" back in the day, and their stories are wonderful.

9. If you've never done it, try to get to the Tail of the Dragon, US129 at Deal's Gap in eastern TN. It's worth the trip.

10. Fill up with gas more often than you think you need to. Sometimes it's a LONG way between stations. And even if your GPS tells you there is a station up ahead, chances are it has closed down in the last year or two.

Happy Trails!!!!

Jim "Pick" Foster
Dixon, IL
VROC #9492
2010 Honda NT700V
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimfost/sets/
http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x294/jimfost/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Rogue Warrior

Very nice.

Gotta take time to look around, smell, listen, whatever. Take it in as you go, don't just go to get there.

'86 Vulcan 750
Sold Dec. 2010... after many enjoyable rides.
27K miles and going strong thanks to vn750.com !
Windshield, Deluxe Soft Grips, Vista Cruise Control, Leather Saddle Bags,
High Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Highway Brackets & Pegs, NGK plugs and wires.
Ignition Issue - Fixed! Replaced Hockey puck.
ACCTs- Grambo Trick worked!! TOC ACCT Springs installed!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 08:42 PM

Great tips; I've been looking for a comfort mod for my stock seat. x2 on #9 I can't wait for "the tail" to reopen from the TN side. Should be completely clear by the end of July.

2004 VN750 "Rosanna"
Acquired March 6, 2010

Done:
NGK Iridium Plugs
NGK Caps
Big Crank ETX15L AGM Battery
Battery Tender Jr. w/Pigtail
Marbled
Rear Spline Lubed
Front Spine/U-Joint Lubed
Metzeler ME 880's
Brake Fluid Flushed, Filled, and Bled
Saddlemen Studded Saddlebags and Tank Bib
Installed 12 Volt Power Outlet
Debaffled
R/R Relocated flightcontrol Style

Pending
N/A... I'm Going Ridin'

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Drive less, ride more...

With all due respect, I wish there were more threads on this forum like this one.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING YOUR WISDOM WITH US...!!!!....

Even more nuggets of wisdom and ideas like this would be much, much appreciated, since the experience of touring represents some of the finest in motorcycling.

Except for its smaller gas tank, and the uncomfy factory seat, the VN750 is quite a worthy touring machine, and is a better mount for this duty than a lot of the newer cruisers out there (in my opinion, anyway)...

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 09:47 PM
Drive less, ride more...

To practice what I "preached" above, I'll offer (again) the following AMA link, which has some pretty good ideas in it, as well:

http://www.ama-cycle.org/roadride/Ri.../33secrets.asp

Also: the following are some of the better ideas that I've learned about longer rides...

1. Avoid the interstates. Instead, seek out local color, local hidden "gems" and far better scenery by taking the back roads and secondary highways. Leave the interstates strictly for those who are in a hurry.

2. If your destination or route will allow it, use websites like http://www.openroadjourney.com/ and http://www.motorcycleroads.us/ to benefit from other's experience to pick out some of the better roads for motorcycle travel.

3. Pick (above) is right--riding in the rain is an ok experience, but ONLY if you're dressed for it. I've had good luck with "Frog Toggs", Cruiserworks brand boots, and also "triple digit" rain gloves from Aerostich: http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-t...in-covers.html

Unless you have a really good windshield and/or fairing, a full face or modular helmet is a must for riding in the rain over real distances.

4. A GPS is really, really handy for riding in unfamiliar territory (even with the handheld, battery-powered models). If you know how to use the GPS, it's virtually impossible to get lost with it. It's also much easier to find a location again if you leave a spot and come back again to it later, say after dark--or from a different direction.

Hope the above helps!...

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 11:32 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to KIMMERLING
Thanks! Someday I will be going for longer trips. I have some leave in september. I should get the airhawk...

2011 Suzuki VSTROM DL650 with ABS Purchased Jan 28 now with 39,000miles WRECKED JAN 12 ,2013
"To strive, to seek, to find, not to yield."
05 Vulcan 750 26,050miles *Traded in*
Ventura guards
MadStadt mount
Givi windshield/Heated grips
Backoff
Riderbeads
Givi 52 topcase
Pat Walsh Crash bars skid plate
OEM centerstand
Headlight modulator
Battery tender
Aquarium thermometer with forward probe mount
Admore LED Lighting/Givi E36N panniers
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 11:46 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
I agree with the air hawk, I go tone years ago and have done 500+ miles in a day and felt great. Rode to the Gathering with Pick a couple of times, wish I could go this year but vacation is in short supply.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Yahoo VN750 Group Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Pick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccspinner View Post
I agree with the air hawk, I go tone years ago and have done 500+ miles in a day and felt great. Rode to the Gathering with Pick a couple of times, wish I could go this year but vacation is in short supply.
And we'll miss you, too. Could you please send a batch of chili anyway? <g>

Jim "Pick" Foster
Dixon, IL
VROC #9492
2010 Honda NT700V
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimfost/sets/
http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x294/jimfost/
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 12:02 AM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
If you can cary it down there I will make some.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 12:30 AM

Thanks for the tips - I've done a fair amount of bicycle touring, but none yet on the motorcycle. Didn't realize that the VN750 was really cut out for it, but this thread has me intrigued to say the least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement