The Right Way Round - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

The Right Way Round

Hi,

I am currently riding from the UK through Europe on my '93 VN750. So far my girlfriend and I have covered 1700 miles from the UK through Holland, Germany, Austria, Slovenia and finally Croatia.

My grirlfriend flies home in a week to start a new job. I on the other hand have a few months free to roam or to return to England.

I am seriously considering travelling East from Croatia through Eastern Europe into Russia, then Kazakstahn, China and finally Thailand.

This would be a further 9000-10000 miles. A couple of days spent on the internet have shown that VISA's and insurance should be relatively straight forward to acquire.

I am looking for info on modding the bike for the trip. Namely the tyres/tires. I currently require a new back tyre. The one on the bike has worn past the wear indicators and has suffered two punctures, the second running the tyre off the rim and making me loose confidence in the remaining strength left in the tyre. The front tyre is an Avon, stock size, white wall. It has plenty of life left in it but it doesn't feel great on the road, it seems to track anything it comes across, lines and cracks. It is also a "good road" tyre, not for any kind of gravel and not good in the wet.

Has anyone any advice on two new tyres. The roads I may be travelling on will be rough in places. I wont be planning any off roading but am expecting gravel on the road, cracks, pot holes and plenty of rain.

Should I go for some oversize tyres? Will these benefit me with handling, reduced RPMs, etc. Or should I stay with stock sizes.

Anyone know of a make with good grips that may suite some very occasional rough road use?

Is there any simple way to get a bit more ground clearance out of the bike? Even an inch may help.

After I bought the bike I replaced a very noisy ACCT on the front cyclinder. This made the bike sound much better but then I could also hear a much quieter noise from the rear cylinder. How much worse can I expect this to get over 10000 miles? I would guess that for a new ACCT for 50 it would be worth replacing?

I have fit the bike with panniers, screen, sissy bar and rack, new brakes all round, new spark plugs, oil and filter change, grease rear spline, air filter, marbled. Is there anything else I should do before I embark to countries where parts will be difficult to obtain? Also anything I should bring with me, e.g spark plugs, etc?

Currently I never did fix the back firing problem but have put this down to poor fitting gaskets and holes in the exhaust system. This will be something I will attempt to rectify before leaving. The exhausts feel rather heavy though. How big of a job is it to clean the soot out of the exhausts?

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Gabriel\My Documents\My Pictures\2010\2010-06-11\IMG_3947.jpg[/IMG]

There should be a picture above hopefully. Taken in AUstria.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3947.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	2911  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 08:48 AM

I would bite the bullet and either modify your ACCTs to MCCTs (directions here on the forum) or buy the TOC or APE MCCTs. Once the MCCTs are properly installed, you don't have to worry about about cam chain tension.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I have very limited tools and no garage at the moment except what I can beg, steal or borrow. My time-scale is less than 2 weeks to prepare.

The easiest method for me would be to buy a new ACCT and fit this to the rear cyclinder.

Do you think this will last 10,000 miles or will the spring/tension weaken during this time?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 09:17 AM

It's hard to say. Some members have replaced the springs in the ACCT's and had noise return within a few thousand miles, others have gone a lot farther. You can look up the ACCT/MCCT conversion here on the forum and see if it is within your capabilities. Really not all that hard to do, and you could have it done at a shop. Just be sure to follow the instructions. Here is a link: https://www.vn750.com/forum/search.php?searchid=385144

Old Blue

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. It seems pretty simple. I think I would prefer the manual version because then I know how much tension is on the chain and how much the tension changes over time.

I guess with a manual CCT you could almost predict a chain failure if the chain suddenly starts to stretch needing MCCT adjustments.

I will definately consider this as an option.

I am also looking into some kind of engine gaurd as the engine is the lowest point. This would be something I would need to manufacture myself so I may have to find a garage that will let me use some space and tools.

Cheers
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 09:58 AM

Noticed in your pic that you still have the stock exhaust. Is the goats belly still on the bike? That's the pre-muffler just above the center stand, just in case. If so, you might want to consider relocating the regulator/rectifier while you have the rear tire off before heading South into Kazakstahn. Too much heat could cause it to fry and cascade into stator failure.

2005 Vulcan 750
Black and Silver
Windshield
Saddlebags
OEM Hghwy Bars
O-ring Footpegs
OEM Luggage Rack
V&H Exhaust System
TOC ACCT Rebuild
Die Hard Gold AGM MFB
Spline Lube every tire change
VN750 #4393
VROC #31065
TexasVROC
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Yes, the goats belly is still on. I will be taking the rear wheel and full exhaust off at the next available opportunity. As far as I know the rectifier is still in the stock position. I will search this site for a recommended new position for the rectifier.

Thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't have liked having to find a new rectifier in the middle of Kazakstahn.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 09:04 AM

The easiest relocation is to the top rear left passenger peg bracket bolt. No rewiring needed. If it hasn't already been done, would suggest that you remove the bullet connectors tying the stator to the R/R and solder the wires together. Helps keep the wires cool and avoid meltdowns.

Old Blue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement