Excessive Vibration? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Excessive Vibration?

I took the Vulcan out for my first ride on it today and I have a concern. Maybe.
I owned a '93 VN750 a few years ago and don't remember this symptom with that bike. The new one vibrates a lot, from the engine, such that everything in the mirrors is a blur. Constantly. No matter what speed or RPM. The mirrors are not stock, but seem quite sturdy. The engine sounds alright, maybe a little bit of cam chain noise which I will deal with soon, but that's it. My memory is garbage, so I may have experienced this with the last bike and just don't remember. But I thought it couldn't hurt to ask the experts what their thoughts are.

Opinions???

If it wasn't for time, everything would happen at once!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 10:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flap1 View Post
I took the Vulcan out for my first ride on it today and I have a concern. Maybe.
I owned a '93 VN750 a few years ago and don't remember this symptom with that bike. The new one vibrates a lot, from the engine, such that everything in the mirrors is a blur. Constantly. No matter what speed or RPM. The mirrors are not stock, but seem quite sturdy. The engine sounds alright, maybe a little bit of cam chain noise which I will deal with soon, but that's it. My memory is garbage, so I may have experienced this with the last bike and just don't remember. But I thought it couldn't hurt to ask the experts what their thoughts are.

Opinions???
not normal,and have you checked the oil screen behind the drain plug for debris.and have you checked the motor mounts. the rubber dampeners part

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

I have not checked either. i was told by PO that all maintenance was done recently and I shouldn't need to do anything.

Oil screen behind the drain plug... Do I need to drop the bottom pan to get at that? And why would that be the issue? (Because I'm not that familiar with these engines)

The engine mounts I will check. Should those be a problem already with an '04?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Old Truck Junkie

The oil drain is on the left side of the engine. It is a round plug with a 17mm bolt pattern made into it. It looks a bit like the rear end fill plug. Reach in to the drain hole and remove the screen. keep all parts in order for reinstallation.

Do not over tighten when going back with it.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Does the oil need to be drained to do this?
On the center stand not the kickstand I assume?

I visually checked the motor mounts. To this untrained eye they look fine. No cracking, splitting, dry rot that I can see or feel. I did not check the torque values of the bolts. I do not have a torque wrench.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Old Truck Junkie

You can drain it on the side stand. Just keep all parts in order as they come out.
Inspect for plastic particles on the screen.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 11:21 AM

What year is your new bike? Like you I went from an older (1994) VN750 to a newer (2004) one and found the newer one to vibrate a lot more. I hope you don't end up like I did and eventually discover it's a factory issue with the balancers that requires an engine pull to fix

As a side note, even after the balancers were fixed I still get noticeably more vibration through the frame and seat on my 2004 bike than on my older '94, though it's much much better than before.

"Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore, you will not know the terror of being forever lost at sea." (Despair.com)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 01:45 PM

Given the age of your bike, it's not likely to be the rubber balance dampers disentegrating. They show up in chunks on the oil screen, but usually on much older bikes. You should always use the side drain to remove the oil and pull and check the screen every time.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post
What year is your new bike? Like you I went from an older (1994) VN750 to a newer (2004) one and found the newer one to vibrate a lot more. I hope you don't end up like I did and eventually discover it's a factory issue with the balancers that requires an engine pull to fix

As a side note, even after the balancers were fixed I still get noticeably more vibration through the frame and seat on my 2004 bike than on my older '94, though it's much much better than before.
Aaaaarrrrrghhhhh....
Boy, this sounds like it to me. Would be nice to have another to compare them side by side.
I listened, I throttled it up multiple times, but I did not ride it before I bought it. PO did demo it for me. I do not think I would have noticed this anyway if I had ridden it. It has been almost 4 years since riding one of these before. Bike has 5400 miles on it. Question is, "Now what do I do?"

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

[QUOTE=Flap1;140812]Aaaaarrrrrghhhhh....
Boy, this sounds like it to me. Would be nice to have another to compare them side by side.
I listened, I throttled it up multiple times, but I did not ride it before I bought it. PO did demo it for me. I do not think I would have noticed this anyway if I had ridden it. It has been almost 4 years since riding one of these before. Bike has 5400 miles on it. Question is, "Now what do I do?"[/QUOTE]

Get a clean pan and drop the engine oil into it from the left side drain, and check the screen as mentioned before. Many times owners drain oil from the plug at the front bottom of the engine instead of properly from the side. If the PO did not check the screen, there may be rubber debris or aluminum shaving still in it. Checking that screen would be my first move.

If the oil is fresh just pour it back in the engine.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement