Rant - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Rant

Still frustrated from last night. If I thought that I could get enough cash out of parting out my wife's '02 750 to get her on the road on just about any bike I'd do it in a heart beat. Working too many hours to get in any real garage time, just found more damage from the broken cam chain, and a busted off mounting ear on her tank, spilled oil, missing tools arrrrg!!

Rook
Conway, AR
VROC # 30581
WBRA #90237-1
2009 1700 Nomad (mine)
2003 VN750 "Prozac" (now hers)
25'000 miles at purchase
Coastered
Ears shaved
Cobra exhaust

So, why is a raven like a writing desk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Rogue Warrior

That sucks!! I feel your pain!

'86 Vulcan 750
Sold Dec. 2010... after many enjoyable rides.
27K miles and going strong thanks to vn750.com !
Windshield, Deluxe Soft Grips, Vista Cruise Control, Leather Saddle Bags,
High Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Highway Brackets & Pegs, NGK plugs and wires.
Ignition Issue - Fixed! Replaced Hockey puck.
ACCTs- Grambo Trick worked!! TOC ACCT Springs installed!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 02:19 AM

Bummer Rook! Too bad too...a 2002 is usually worth fixing....

I've always thought that parting out a VN750 would be more trouble than it's worth. Sure you could make more money parting it out, IF the its' parts are nice enough that you can sell enough of them. But, if it was that nice, you probably wouldn't need to part it out. Plus, dealing with people on ebay, the eBay proceedures and the shipping process can be frustrating at best. Not to mention that you will invest tons of time in disassembly, organizing, labeling, taking a million pictures, entering countless eBay listings and hunting down a mountain of boxes just to end up being stuck with a bunch of oddball parts that you have no clue what to do with. Why go through all of that? It just seems way easier to me to just get parts on eBay and do the repair.

I'm also thinking that you (not you specifically) should not factor in the original purchase price when calculating repair costs, and compare that to the current market value of the bike. If you did that, then no machine would be worth a significant repair because you will not get your money back anyway, right? Also, different bike just means different problems....and you'll just end up right back where you are now. You see... you only need to think about whether or not you like the bike and how dependable it would be afterwards, then decide if it is worth repair. Now if the repair is major, like a catastrophic failure or the bike has been a lemon and you didn't like it anyway or you just want a different bike, well, there are exceptions.

So, if it were me, I would either bite the bullet and fix it myself (I really feel sorry for anyone who has to rely on other people to fix their stuff), or just sell it as a "fixer upper" or "parts bike" and just get what I could for it. I think that too many VN750's have been prematurely put to death already and we should keep them going (within reason)...Holy V-Twin Batman! I sound like an activist! Sorry....

Anyway, that's just my opinion and not everyone sees things the same way....Good luck Rook! I hope it works out for you!

Name: "Bike"
*Battery connected at both ends!
*Real air in the tires
*New Registration sticker
*Seat wiped off
*Low AND Hi beam headlight!
*New #1157 tail light bulb
*Brake pedal still on the right
*Custom valve stem caps made from black plastic!
*Custom built ignition key from Kawasaki
Does anybody really care?

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car"

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Search Goddess

Have you thought about dropping that engine from me in it instead? Surely gaskets would be easier then what you are going through or wouldn't the engine turn over?

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

I can get about 120 degrees of movement, so it's not frozen but it makes rice crispy noisesbefore it refuses to move. I think things will go smoother when I get a decent amount of time to work on it.

Rook
Conway, AR
VROC # 30581
WBRA #90237-1
2009 1700 Nomad (mine)
2003 VN750 "Prozac" (now hers)
25'000 miles at purchase
Coastered
Ears shaved
Cobra exhaust

So, why is a raven like a writing desk?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Columbus, Ohio

This kind of thing seems to never never happen at the end of the ridig season.
Bummer.

Never let anybody tell you that a vehicle is an investment. It is merely a purchase that depreciates, or at best, holds its own. Investments make money for you. Purchases always cost money. Some more than others.

I feel your pain. I had a Nighthawk 650 that I finally GAVE AWAY. Great bikes, but mine was sh*t. Now I have the Vulcan and life is good. For awhile.

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

I do LOTS of dumb stuff. Riding is only one of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement