What is the appeal of large engine bikes - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

What is the appeal of large engine bikes

In the past I had a 650 cc bike. That was enough for me. It had lots of get up and go. Now they are making and pushing 1800 cc and bigger.

Other than bragging rights, what's the reason? They burn more fuel, cost more to start with and cost more to insure.

Doesn't a lighter weight bike handle better, maybe more fun on the curves?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 11:00 AM

I like the mean streak 1500 because it handles extremely well for a larger bike. Even though its longer, its also lower. It still does well on gas too, about 45/gal. The one thing I really like about it is what it can handle. I don't worry about gusty crosswinds on bridges, big bumps in the road, or losing too much weight going over hills. The one thing I really love about it is its highway capability. I put in 5th and she hums at 3k rpm at 70 mph.

Last edited by LibertyPilot; 05-27-2010 at 02:13 PM.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I'll echo what LibertyPilot said. Don't get me wrong, I loved the 750 for its nimbleness and quickness, but I personally have always wanted that big bore v-twin feeling and sound. I worked my way up to the larger bike over a several year period, knowing I wasn't yet ready for a bike this large early on in my experience level. I eventually realized that I wanted more comfort for long trips, something the smaller bikes couldn't quite give me. I like the slower cadence of the 1500 engine, especially at the higher speeds. The 750 always seemed like it needed one more gear because of the higher rpms and the sound. I have no problem with the 750, and if I had the money, I would have kept it as a second bike, but it really hits the bumps harder, being lighter, and was always a monkey butt waiting to happen on long rides, even with the better seat, backrest and floorboards, with my 260 lbs riding on it.

The 1500 handles great, not quite to the level of the 750, but really good for a bigger bike, and it eats up the bumps in the roads. My mustang wide touring seat is 16 inches wide and really makes a difference on long stretches.

I've never ridden a VN2000 or VTX 1800 or one of the other huge bikes, but I would imagine the more weight makes them smoother riding, and some folks are really eaten up with having bigger, more powerful engines. My best friend and riding buddy has owned a Goldwing 1800 for several years, and he loves it for some of the 3000+ trips he goes on. He went all the way from Texas to Alaska and back last Summer on it. He's offered to swap bikes with me on some of our rides, but I'm not interested in trying to handle a bike that big. I think it weighs around 900 lbs and has a v-6 in it. I doubt I would ever have a desire to own a bike that large, but they are ridiculously popular, probably one of the better selling bikes in the country.

So, if they build it, there's always someone who will buy it I guess...

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 01:48 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Figures the three 1500 guys would chime in !

I agree with LP and fergy, tough I am at my limit. I think the VTX1800's and the V2K's are just way too big. I like to ride and handle and my Meanie does this very well yet offers the bene's LP and fergy mentioned.

I commute on mine a lot and it's mostly highway at 75 - 80 mph, the 1500 just does this WAY better than the 750 does.

And at 6 foot 235, I fit much better on the 1500 too!

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)

Last edited by 93VN750; 05-27-2010 at 02:54 PM.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 01:50 PM

Garage
I am a big boy too,and I am thinking Nomad next,or the 2000 Vulcan because of the Belt drive,I am not ,nor never have been a fan of shaft drives,Character flaw I guess.But the Nomad is already set up with the windshield and hard bags.I love the sport tourers but have just about realized the were not made for short fat people and will probably upgrade to another big touring type twin

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I am a big guy too. I was 6 foot tall from my teens, but my current #300 has compressed my spinal column by about 1 1/2". The 750 is my first bike, and like fergy, I bought it as a learner bike to get some experience on a powerful machine with out the disadvantage of heavy weight, and high cost of repairs in event of a fall down. I have only ridden one bike larger than mine, a Honda Shadow 1100 for about 40 or 50 miles, a year before I bought a bike.

I need a longer framed bike to accomodate my legs and belly more comfortably for trips longer than 30 minutes or so. It would be interesting to go for another ride on the 1100 Honda, to compare the fit after riding the Vulcan. If or when I ever get a larger bike it will likely be 1500-1600cc for the reasons also mentioned by others above, ie. lower engine speed, deeper exhaust note, more comfortable on the highway, handles wind and bumps better.

(Private note to denny. I think you know this, but just made a typo. The Goldwings are all horizontally opposed engines, or "flat" 4 or 6 cylinder, not a v-6. <G>)

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 02:53 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
(Private note to denny. I think you know this, but just made a typo. The Goldwings are all horizontally opposed engines, or "flat" 4 or 6 cylinder, not a v-6. <G>)
Yup their boxer motors like VW's, Porsche's, BMW (bikes), some Ferrari's, etc. Most naturally balanced engine style mode.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Late to the party

You guys are obviously missing the obvious and easy solution to this whole thing. Ya simply have to have a different bike for every mood and mode. At least three anyway.

'05 VN750 - "Cookie"
My Gallery

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 03:29 PM

That was my bad, Old Hoss! The "V" just seems to come out naturally.
One thing I didn't mention about the 1500 is how low you sit compared to the 750. The saddle is slung low in the frame and in my opinion, its easier for me to leg it around than the 750 was, albeit the thing weighs a couple hundred lbs more so it's probably a wash, but it seems easier to settle in when I pull up to a stop. Might be the stubbs I have for legs.

Of course, having the lower saddle, my legs don't have much more room to roam than the 750, plus the wider tank bothered the heck out of me for the first month but I quickly got used to that. There's always trade-offs. Like with any bike, I changed the seats out to the mustang wide touring models, with driver's backrest, bought risers to move the bars up and back toward me, then ended up buying an off set backrest bracket to move it on back an inch or so til I got everything right where I wanted it for comfort. Now it's my bike...

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Last edited by fergy; 05-27-2010 at 03:37 PM.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFather View Post
In the past I had a 650 cc bike. That was enough for me. It had lots of get up and go. Now they are making and pushing 1800 cc and bigger.

Other than bragging rights, what's the reason? They burn more fuel, cost more to start with and cost more to insure.

Doesn't a lighter weight bike handle better, maybe more fun on the curves?
Yes it would. Perhaps we should all ride Ninja 250's instead.

Just because it is bigger does not always mean it burns more fuel. Nor that is is harder to start , and insurance is mostly based on vehicle cost , your location, your driving record, your age and not solely on engine size.
My neighbors 19 year old son pays 4 times the insurance I pay and my bike is over double the CC's.

Am guessing you drive a Prius or some other tiny fuel efficiant car.

If you have to ask why they make bikes with big motors , then you really just don't get it. And that my freind is a good thing....

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement