Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

oil leak around stators

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  baldy 
#1 ·
I have a 93 750, leaking oil. Kawi dealer says it is leaking where the stators go through the casing (think I got that right). He said it looked like the previous owner had plugged it with something, but it was failing. Proper repair would be about $350. Anyone have a cheaper solution? thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I'm going to hazard a guess that it's on the left side engine cover where you've got the wires for the stator and pick-up coils coming out. If that's it, the cost you were quoted was most likely labor - sadly, pulling the left side engine cover means pulling the engine, which is time x $$. If that's the right area, you might be able to plug it with a sealant like The Right Stuff. Basically, just a black gasket maker material. Any chance you've got a pic you could post, so we all can be sure where the problem is?

#3 ·
and how bad of a leak? quart a day or just the annoying few drops on the ground and messy engine?

#4 ·
Mine has seemed to have a "little" residue coming out since I got the bike, I just wipe it down occasionally. Can anyone tell me if this is a big issue as long as it doesn't get worse.

#5 ·
just keep your eye on the oil level a little more often!

#6 ·
I had this problem also after I had a not so experienced kawy mechanic change the stater in my '93. He screwed up the rubber plug that goes around the wires that come out of the stator housing. I fixed it with some black silicone. Still have a little seapage but not enough to concern and just keep an eye on the oil level. Course having over 43000 on the bike it has other leaks, squeaks, and rattles also. I just say a Hog was parked here before me. haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.