Rust Solution - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Rust Solution

I thought that when I lived in the San Francisco are we had a rust problem but when I moved to the Philippines I found out all about what rust is!!! WOW!
Our favorite saying is "rust never sleeps". Amen, brother.
A few months ago, I found this product called "rust converter" whatever that's suppose to mean.
It's a plastic one litre bottle and the clear liquid is very heavy in weight but very thin pouring like water.
I tried this stuff on some rusted metal (not hard to find around here) and to my amazment in a few seconds the rust turned black in color!! No signs of rust anymore!! GONE!!
I kept an eye on the part and after a week or so, there was still no signs of rust.
I tried to paint over it and there was no problem doing so!

Next I tried it in a rusted gas tank. I put it in straight and turned the tank over and over for about 15 minutes and then emptied the tank and let it "air dry" for 2 days. The rust inside had turned black in color and rust was gone!!

Since then. I have done several tanks for freinds. The ones that had more than surface rust, I flushed with acetone and small rocks to loosen the big stuff before I applied the solution to the tank.

I have no idea of what the chemical is because there is only a small paper label on the container.

I got this stuff from a paint store so maybe if you talk to them, they can fiqure out what it is.

All I know is that this stuff works great and is a hell of a lot easier and cheaper to use rather than those "tank liners" at the bike shops.
Three bucks in US Dollars!!

I was going to post this in the Carb section, but I think that more will see it in this one.

Have fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 11:41 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Sounds like some form of phosphoric acid. It eats rust, leaves a black residue that is paintable and rust resistant. But eventually it will rust too.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 12:22 AM
new owner

Its called alot of stuff, Rust_mort, rust be gone, etc.. its actually works pretty well. As for gas tanks, not sure, you can be the judge of that. I did some testing with brake calipers, and other suspension parts. Douced um, turned um black and then painted um (engine block on an overhual too). I was pretty impressed, the brake calipers (rouhgly 5 years later) still have paint and pretty much no rust. The only negative i see is it can chip off, and once its off the rust comes back. From my reading it converts the rust and seals it. Once there is no seal the rsut comes back (very simple explination, must better ones all over the web).

I have used about 4 types and the best one (just an opinion) is por-15...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clok1966 View Post
Its called alot of stuff, Rust_mort, rust be gone, etc.. its actually works pretty well. As for gas tanks, not sure, you can be the judge of that. I did some testing with brake calipers, and other suspension parts. Douced um, turned um black and then painted um (engine block on an overhual too). I was pretty impressed, the brake calipers (rouhgly 5 years later) still have paint and pretty much no rust. The only negative i see is it can chip off, and once its off the rust comes back. From my reading it converts the rust and seals it. Once there is no seal the rsut comes back (very simple explination, must better ones all over the web).

I have used about 4 types and the best one (just an opinion) is por-15...
Por-15 is by far the best tank liner I have ever used!!!!! I'm happy that there is somebody that has used it also other than the "Creame" crap that is sold in bike shops.
Last time I was in the States, I picked up a couple of cans.......man has the price gone up!!!!
The thing with any tank liner is time......you just CAN'T rush it!!
Preparation (like a paint job) is critical. Most people rush the process and then bad mouth the product because it didn't work for them.
I'm still keeping an eye on the results of this stuff and so far......so good!!
By the way, I don't think it is a acid cause it don't burn your skin but it weighs heavy like an acid.

Hmmmmm, I wonder how it would be with Vodka??
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by honest Al View Post
Hmmmmm, I wonder how it would be with Vodka??
That's blasphemy! Everyone on this forum mixes Sea Foam with their vodka!

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Columbus, Ohio

I used a chemical like that years ago. It came in a brown plastic bottle and I bought it at a hardware store. I used it to blacken leg-hold traps that would be set in water or wet dirt. I prepared the metal by wire brushing. Where metal rubbed metal, it did not stay. It went on thick in some places (probably over existing rust) and where it was thick it flaked off. It was generally good for that purpose, but I renewed it every year. I don't think I would put that stuff in a gas tank. It would be good for the bottom of the frame, but paint would be better.

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

I do LOTS of dumb stuff. Riding is only one of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement