MPG Gain? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

MPG Gain?

I've been wondering how to improve highway MPG on our bikes. Not that it's horrible, but we all want that 6th gear at times.

If we can't change the gearing in the bevel drive, could we mod or swap out another bike's final drive/rear wheel for a slight gain there?

Still at work (sorry to those I promised to get back to about parts - it's been a 7am to 7pm week) and just kind of bouncing ideas around at the end of a long week.

Thoughts?

Scheherazade
'86 VN750
MF Battery, Iridium Plugs, RR relocated, Voltmeter, 170/80/15 Kenda Kruz rear tire, DIY Samsonite hard bags, DIY shaved seat with Beaded seat pad ('cause that's how I roll) and the dreaded STATOR CHANGE.

Shining Black Bess '86 VN750, retired for parts after a fried stator and being knocked (kee-runch) in her parking spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

On a related topic, did you ride on a 150/90-15 tire before changing out for the 170/80-15 I see in your sigline now?
If so, did you notice any increase in fuel economy when the slightly larger tire was installed?

I have never seen a thread where a final drive for a different motorcycle has been installed on a Vulcan. I would think that each individual motorcycle model that is shaft driven, would have a final drive with specific dimensions to handle the power of that bike. I believe it would be extremely unlikely to find a final drive from one make of mc, that would fit another make of bike of similar size. Similarly the final drive from a Kawi vn750 will not fit the larger vn1500 made by the same manufacturer.

I am not sure what the chances are of being able to swap in a final drive/rear wheel set from another model bike to the vn750. I would guess it is slim to none, without modifications.

It is not like a chain driven bike where you may be able to change a gear for another with one or two more (or less) teeth, to change the gearing and therefore increase or decrease power/speed/fuel economy in varying relationships.

I believe the bigger rear tire you have installed on your vn750 is the only thing you can do to increase your mpg, and that will only make a small difference. Well, you could ride slower I guess, but that was not the answer you were looking for.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 04-16-2010 at 08:15 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
I think that I saw someone on here that used a Kawasaki Eliminator back wheel that was a sixteen inch wheel and used the same brake system as well.I may be wrong but I don't think this is my imagination,if it is true you could drop RPM's on the Highway but would lose a little power on the bottom end,same as a gearing change.I just don't know how much difference it would make.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Hey Gordon -

This is mostly about long distance travel for me. My VN can physically cruise all day long at pretty much whatever highway speed I like (and is safe.) However, the range tends to drop as it gulps more fuel. I have daydreams about traveling through the NW and don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere.

So I'm generally curious as to ways to extend my range. I.e., more MPG at "travel speed," as opposed to more MPG by driving the bike at 52 on the highway. 52 is decidedly unsafe in many areas around here as traffic can be cutthroat on the freeway.

Fuel economy is a bit better with the 170, in the sense that I can cruise at highway speed at lower RPMs, and thus extend my range. It's maybe a 10% difference? Tops.

So, anyway, it seems if I want better MPG, I can either look into ways of fairing the bike or changing the gearing.

Fairing I'm considering - there's actually not a lot of work out there about true aerodynamic fairings. Most marketed fairings just seem to be about rider protection and/or reducing buffeting on the rider. But that's for another post I think. If there was a way to make our bikes more aerodynamic I might go back to the 150 rear wheel - it'd be quicker to speed than the 170 but (faired) would still be faster than stock because it wouldn't be pushing so much air.

But back to my final drive musings. I know that if you want better MPG on sprocket bikes you can change the rear sprocket to a smaller one. This sacrifices low end torque but allows the engine to rev lower at higher speeds.

So I was just wondering if there was an analogue for our bikes. I know people had talked about adding a sixth gear and how complicated that would be. But what if the final drive/rear wheel was replaced by another shaft driven bikes? That other shaft driven bike might transmit the power from the spinning dive shaft in an entirely different ratio. If there was one, it might be a more fabable swap than messing about with the bevel gear. You'd just have to mate up the new final drive/wheel with the shaft on our bikes.

Anyway, I'm home, my taxes are done, I got good outcomes for my clients today, so I'm going to have a glass of wine and relax.

Scheherazade
'86 VN750
MF Battery, Iridium Plugs, RR relocated, Voltmeter, 170/80/15 Kenda Kruz rear tire, DIY Samsonite hard bags, DIY shaved seat with Beaded seat pad ('cause that's how I roll) and the dreaded STATOR CHANGE.

Shining Black Bess '86 VN750, retired for parts after a fried stator and being knocked (kee-runch) in her parking spot.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

BTW - here's a thread at a different forum that has some links to some interesting fairings. http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ound-7241.html

(PS - I know about the Vetter fairings.)

(PPS - Thanks Denny!)

Scheherazade
'86 VN750

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 01:13 AM
The Professor

What MPG are you getting?????????

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 07:07 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

For your purpose (extended range) maybe a larger gas tank would be an easier or cheaper fix...???
Just wondering, say a 4.5 gal. tank would give you an extra 50-55 mi. ...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Ron - Oh, 40-45 ish, which isn't bad, but I'd like to get the range up to 200 miles or so. I'm not dying to do so, but it's an idea that I dust off and kick around now and then.

Once in awhile I get something that works and I'm glad to have experimented with. My DIY hardbags for instance: two smallish sampsonite suitcases, a can of black spraypaint, a short length of pipe to cut into spacers, some long bolts (bicycle neck bolts), and voila - waterproof, lockable, and moderately quick detach hard bags.

If I can come up with something to boost me into the 60-70mpg range, that'd be pretty sweet.

Dog- Yeah, that's another good option.

Scheherazade
'86 VN750

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 11:26 AM

Run the carbs lean and drop the plug temp range colder X2. Get a good fairing like you already researched (vetter). Bigger gas tank. Slow down on the interstate.

Get a touring bike.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Old Fart

Garage
A bigger gas tank is the best suggestion so far. Your bike gets really good gas milage already, other than trading it in for a scooter you aint going to get much better gas mileage out of it.

Small round fairings like the Memphis Shades Hellcat will give you better aerodynamics than a PF3...but cut back on comfort and protection.

As your concept is extended range...not really better fuel ecconomy per se, the bigger tank or "extra" fuel tank is the way to go. There are companies that sell add on fuel tanks that could triple your range.

The 170 tire is wider than the 150 ...but I did not think it was that much taller than the stock. Does anyone have the inflated circumfrence of both tires?

+1 on getting a touring bike.

edit--should point out that even if you could get a 5% gain in fuel mileage (which would be a major increase)..it would mean getting 47mpg instead of 45 mpg.. so you only would be adding 8 miles to your range. Your tiny 2 gallon gas tank IS the limiting issue here.KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 04-17-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement